What is your favorite/least favorite musical instrument?

Taxman1

Sep 14, 2009
The piano, mainly because that's the only instrument I can play fairly well.

The drums are my least favorite. Bass drums are the worst of its kind.

Benjamin Moore

Nov 29, 2010
Showing my music nerd side here, now.
Favourite instrument is the Baroque Oboe, specifically oboe d'amore.
Honourable mentions go to the Basset Horn (a member of the clarinet family) and the French Horn.
Least favourite is the Reed organ.

I have a friend who is a professional recorder player, and I can attest that the hate the instrument seems to be getting here is unjustified. Plastic, cheap, school soprano recorders are extremely bad, but a good quality wooden recorder played by a recorder player has a wonderful sound.
The recorder is a family of instruments anyway, like the saxophone and clarinet, ranging from the common soprano recorder down to the bass recorder, which is a pretty epic looking instrument.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Big fan of the cello and piano here.

If there's an instrument I cant stand (or dont hear often enough), trombone.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
A violin can sound really good if played by an expert. However, I think the accordion takes top spot, although I would like to take up the drums.

CaptVickHartnell

Jan 12, 2011
Best for me is the Mandolin, especially mine, closely followed by the violin and the hurdy-gurdy (aka wheel-fiddle). All of these have been used to make the genres of folk-metal and folk-punk into something truly unique and thoroughly enjoyable :D. My least favourite, well I'm not sure if it even count as an instrument, but I'm sure there are people who think it does so, the D.J. deck, or turntables or whatever, the thing D.J.s use to create that Gods-aweful dance/trance/house whatever it is that the boring, club-going, premix-drinking sheeple like to dance to. Other than that, I think every instrument has its place, and every instrument can sound both wonderful if played well, or absolutely vomit inducing when played badly.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Every instrument can be great if used in the right manner or in a combination with other instruments. I was never a big fan of the saxophone, but there have been moments where I heard it kick total ass.

I'm sure the same can be said about the bagpipe and the accordion.

Anything can be a great instrument as long as it's used correctly.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I absolutely love the violin.

Can't really say that I have a least favourite. It's not something I've ever thought about.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
hittite said:
Interestingly enough for me, bagpipes are both. It all depends on how they're used.
Same for me. I like them because I play them; wooooo I can play bagpipes! And national pride and stuff. I also don't like them because I can play them; fucking pipes. After a few years all the tunes start to sound like a bag of dying cats.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I can't decide whether I love electric or acoustic guitar more but I hate the recorder (damn you primary school!)

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
katsumoto03 said:
MelasZepheos said:
katsumoto03 said:
MelasZepheos said:
katsumoto03 said:
MelasZepheos said:
snip (because that song is fucking annoying).
snip.
Yes, but it's not the keyboard that's making the notes, now is it? No. It's a computer.
Now we're into semantics. Technically speaking an electronic keyboard uses a keyboard matric circuit in order to produce a MIDI sound based on whether a key is depressed or not, so yes, strictly speaking a keyboard is effectively a tiny computer that doesn't actually compute anything, and isn't programmable. (This is a far more intricate debate including the ridiculous circular nature of defining a computer)

But then again, a spoon is technically an instrument, because it produces a sound, throwing a television at a wall is an instrument because it produces a sound.

Really every single thing in the entire world is an instrument, and anything that 'receives input, stores and automatically manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format' is a computer.

So I guess my definition for the purposes of this argument has to be this:

People who sit at computers, without anything but the computer to hand, and cut pieces of other songs, or programme MIDI sound clips together, is not an instrument, does not require much skill, and is a joke in my eyes.

Anyone who has something which makes noises, and they use it to create something musical, with their own two hands, is using an instrument, as long as they are using it with a musical intent in mind.
So, you're now saying that you were wrong.

Nice chat we had.
No. Either the computer isn't an instrument, in which case it has no reason to be mentioned in this thread. Or it can be an instrument and can be just as musical as any other instrument through the power of midi and sampling.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Favourite: Synth, Electric guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Cello.

Least favourite: Triangle, Saxophone, Recorder, Bagpipes, Drums, Bass guitar.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Every instrument can be great if used in the right manner or in a combination with other instruments. I was never a big fan of the saxophone, but there have been moments where I heard it kick total ass.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I adore that film.

I'm not a big fan of saxophones, they remind me of soundtracks to bad 80's dramas (Baker Street style playing, can't stand it).

My favourite instrument is the bass guitar. I started playing it when I was young, it's damned fun to play (moreso than an electric or acoustic guitar), it's sounds great and it's really versatile. I play the guitar too, and I do love it, but the bass is just awesome in every way.

Especially like this. Marcus Miller is a god, his signature bass is beautiful, and funk bass is amazing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Casual Shinji said:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I adore that film.
You should probably try and get a hold of The Illusionist then. It's from the same director.

It's a little less grotesque and a bit more melancholy, but a great cartoon nonetheless.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Favourite: Cello, probably. I like its versatility. Double bass, perhaps.
Very, very bad unfavourite: Accordion. I'm sick of hearing mangled polka-versions of popular hits [which are usually bad enough to begin with] being played by seedy Eastern Europeans every time I walk down a main street.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Piano is my favourite by far, which I play.

I'm not quite sure what my least favourite would be ... vuvuzela?

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i love the piano, but i hate the clarinet. I love the sound and feel of a piano, and playing one is so much fun too imo. I just don't like the sound of the clarinet at all.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Violin is my favourite. Any instrument can be the worst if not in skilful hands and used for a good musical piece.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
[sub]Uilleann pipes are used in the Howling Fjord one.[/sub]​
Don't know about least favourite though.