What is Your Favorite Quote That You Have Heard

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
Quotes. You know, those earworms that say few words but mean so much more. Sometimes, they don't have to be serious, they can be humorous or just plain nonsensical as well. My personal favorite quote this:

Seven days without laughter makes one weak.
What is your favorite quote?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'm preferential to two quotes;

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Which is reinforced by the following...
"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
My favorite quote is the one that I use for my motto here and one that I think everyone should strive to live by:

"Had to be me, someone else might have gotten it wrong"
-Mordin Solus

Everyone should want to be more like Mordin!

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
"Dead flies can make a whole bottle of perfume stink, and a little stupidity can cancel out the greatest wisdom".

This quote alone sums up our entire world.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"There's no law against that."
"There is - God's law!"
"Then God can arrest him."

From a film, A Man For All Seasons.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
"So you know, cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you, it's great. But if you talk to them, it doesn't always go well."

shigeru miyamoto

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
This quote has stuck with me for some reason and I can't get it out of my head.

I don't understand why this quote makes me laugh, but it does. It has a level of truth in it that's so genuine. It speaks to me.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand" or, slightly more meaningfully, "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different"- Both of which are from Kurt Vonnegut. Pretty much anything he ever said was pure gold.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well allow me to not drop any philosophical gems here but rather a line from some guy on /a/ that made me laugh so hard.

"Yeah I would have enjoyed Naruto if Kishimoto didn't get addicted to crystal meth halfway through the Chuunin Exam Arc"

I swear that board has made me laugh so much more than any other thing on the internet.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
One of the cornerstones of my philosophy is the age-old quote "I know that I know nothing" from Socrates, though its commonly used form is actually a simplification which twists its meaning. It's a good reminder to keep you grounded in reality.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
"I won't smoke, but I will drink." Me at age four
Still hold it to my heart.

"I'm a lone wolf, but I need a pack. I'm a rock that blossoms like a frail swan." Andy Suonsilmä

EDIT: I have to add one that I couldn't recall at first, and it's also not a joke quote or the like.

"Can you see the Moon? Can you see it seen?" it was in an cultural anthropology book, but I don't remember the person (wasn't the author). I think it's a witty reminder of people's different views, even if their perceptions are the same.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I have several:
"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and Human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the Universe."
-Albert Einstein

"As soon as men decide that all means are necessary to fight an evil then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
-Christopher Dawson

"I do not feel inclined to believe that the same god that endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect intended us to forgo their use."
-Galileo

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Saul Alinsky: "If there is an afterlife, and I have anything to say about it, I will choose unreservedly to go to Hell. [...] Hell would be Heaven for me. All my life I have been with the have-nots. Over here, if you're a have-not, you're short of dough. If you're a have-not in Hell, you're short of virtue. Once I get into Hell, I'll start organising the have-nots in there. They're my kind of people".

Harlan Ellison: "You are not entitled to your opinion; you are entitled to your informed opinion. Nobody is entitled to be ignorant".

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
- Herm Albright

I like that one enough that I've used it for several years (slightly changed) as my signature in various forums.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm stealing this from Frappe's profile. It's pretty much just a feel-good kind of quote that isn't attributed to anybody in particular.

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

It's not always an ideal I can meet. And arguably not one I should always meet. But that one stuck with me.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
This quote from Samurai Champloo. I like the entire quote, but this is my favorite bit:

In order to live with your soul at peace, you must simply teach yourself to let it be. Only then will you achieve true freedom.
Up until that point, the term "let it be" never really seemed like wisdom to me, just a cop-out for accepting a shitty situation. Hearing this in the proper context helped me realize that "let it be" refers to yourself, not your surroundings. You can endeavor to change things, you can make things better, help people, live the way you want.

If you want to be at peace, if you want to be happy... just let yourself be.

Another one I favor is the dialogue from Church at the end of the Blood Gulch Chronicles in Red vs Blue:

You know, Caboose, I used to not care. I just went along with orders and hoped that everything would work out for me. But after all that has happened, you know what I learned? It's not about hating the guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they're an asshole, or pervert, or snob, or they're lazy, or arrogant, or an idiot, or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise them on a personal level. Not because they're Red, or Blue, but because you know them, and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they are a complete and total fucking douchebag.
Some people like to say that you should never hate someone. I disagree. Plenty of people are worth hating in this world because they fucking suck and loving them won't change that. But don't hate someone because they're in a different category than you. Don't hate them because your friends do or your country does. Hate them because they fucking suck, on a personal level. Don't hurt them, because then YOU fucking suck, but you don't have to abide people you don't like. Tell them to fuck off. Who gives a shit?