What is Your Favorite: Savory Snack From a Country You're Not From?

Jeopardy Surface

Oct 23, 2015
Every time I think about logging in to comment, the prevailing topics here always seem to be the same, and they're about as "Escapist" as a hard shot to the balls. So lets do something light and fun, that we can probably all find some common ground in.

I'm not Japanese, but my favorite savory snack of all time are Kake no Tane, which are little fried rice snacks, often made spicy with chili, savory with soy, and all kinds of other good things. Often they're served with peanuts as a bar snack.

I love them. I love the mild ones, I love the spicy ones, I love them with peanuts or straight up. I love them in a big mix with wasabi peas and the rest.

They are my spirit snack. Do you have such a snack, from a culture that is totally not your native one? If you would, please include a picture and a description of what exactly it is,

Thanks!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Let me be the first to say JELLYBABIES!

Doctor Who is a wonderful show, and this is a wonderful snackfood.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
American Pringles. The number of flavours you lot have is amazing. Down here we've got 6 or 7 flavours.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:

Ah, but do you mean jellybabies or liquorice allsorts? The 4th Doctor would call liquorice allsorts jellybabies for some reason.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I quite like pocky. It's such a simple thing, but there's something satisfying about it.
Pocky, definitely. It's the good strong flavors, and the crunch, and the... uh... nibbleability?

The coconut pocky makes me weak-kneed.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Ummm...You know what, I can't really think of any! Maybe Edamame?

The problem I guess is here in Australia we have Shapes for savoury snacks and Tim Tams for sweet snacks. Don't really need anything else when you got those...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pretzels. Also French fries, cause wherever they are from, it isn't the US, so it counts.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Canada is the home to a worryingly vast assortment of chip flavors.

Crab, however, is not one of them.

And that makes me sad.

Because they're SO GOOD.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:

Ah, but do you mean jellybabies or liquorice allsorts? The 4th Doctor would call liquorice allsorts jellybabies for some reason.
I did notice a certain discrepency here and there, but the man had actual Jellybabies and so have I. Good stuff.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Reese definitely reese. I never realise peanut base chocolate was going to taste SO good!

Also I am fond of the asia fruitpunch drinks (the dark colour ones) especially when serve cold.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Canada is the home to a worryingly vast assortment of chip flavors.
"Worryingly" is not the word I'd use. Though it is a genuine shock we get all those options that the US doesn't despite the fact Lays is an American company. You'd think ketchup Lays would sell like hotcakes south of the border.

On that note: Japans Kit Kat variations. There are just so damned many, and some are the type I can't get enough of when I start eating them.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Saelune said:
Pretzels. Also French fries, cause wherever they are from, it isn't the US, so it counts.
I think fries are originally Dutch, or Belgian... I'm not sure which. One of them (again, no recollection as to which) basically came up with the modern idea of a twice-fried one or two bite potato stick, served as a side or to-go, with some kind of dipping sauce.

And may god bless their tiny giblets for it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'd probably have to say Shrimp Crackers, if only because I can't think of anything else.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Snack as in processed thing in a box or bag:

Dried Squid Strips from Japan

Snack as in small thing you get to munch as you go around which is actual food and not processed stuff:

Takoyaki.

Both are seafood and since I come from Greece which has more shores than the entire contient of Africa hence seafood is super popular, these two preparations are quite different to what I am used to and have a lot of charm. Takoyaki especially is so different to the usual octopus and shallot stew "stifatho" I grew up eating that I became an instant addict.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
British Crunchies

A good chocolate taste with a tough, crunchy bar. Really hits the spot for occasional cravings.

That or Cadbury Creme Eggs when I really want to eat something sweet.

Ah Cadbury, if only I had easier access to your goods. Half the time the Creme Eggs sent over here are crystallized and nasty.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
I'm a German and that means that I'm legally obliged to hate the Dutch. Bunch of bicycle riding cheeseheads.

But their food is so much better than ours.

Frikandellen, Vla and most of all:

I don't normally like peppermints but they are just so damn good.

How are you supposed to hate a country if everything they make is delicious?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Umm I'm not sure which of the various snacks I like originated from what country. It isn't something I tend to research as these informations can be hazy at best. I really like cheese though, it goes on so much, so many great flavours. Made so many different ways. Fuck it, I'm gonna go with cheese, that'll have some dubious origins surely.