What is your favorite sports team, and why?

Lenoh

Apr 22, 2009
Personally, I'm a bit biased due to being from Northern California

NHL: Sharks. Because I'm originally from San Jose :D
NBA: Anyone but the Kings and the Lakers. Nothx.
NFL: Niners, though I do respect Raiders fans. Montana, Young/Rice, and now Kaepernick? Yeah...
MLB: Giants, never really liked the A's' colors.

So what about you?

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
being an englander, you probably won't get any of this, but:

Blackpool FC, football team
the lancashire Cricket team
MK dons, another footy tean

may update later.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
It's perhaps a bit of an odd assortment, but here we go.

NHL: Philadelphia Flyers. After moving to Connecticut, USA in 2001, I made friends with a HUGE hockey fan who gave me an NHL game for my birthday. The only teams I'd ever heard of were his Detroit Red Wings, and the Flyers, because they had been mentioned in a Simpson's episode (A Member of Satan/Flanders "Jury of the Damned). I thought it'd be more interesting if I supported a team other than my friends favourite, so I decided to follow the Flyers. I've been an obsessive fan ever since, regularly staying up till about 3am every other night to watch them live here in the UK

MLB: Phillies, Yankees. Because I lived in Connecticut for two years, I was in the heart of Yankees country. The very first sporting event I ever went to was a Yankees game a couple of weeks after I got to the US. I have a fondness for the Phillies because of my love for the Flyers

NFL: Eagles. Same reason as Phillies. I love the Flyers so much, some of that love spills over onto other Philadelphia Teams.

Scottish Premiership (Football): Heart of Midlothian. I was actually a Manchester United fan till I moved to the US from the UK, but being about 10 when I moved, I just liked them because they were the best. Living in America for two years, it was difficult to follow or watch them and I'd fallen in love with American sports that I stopped supporting them. A few years after coming back from the US, my Dad (a massive Hearts fan) offered to take me to a Hearts game as we were in Edinburgh (Hearts home town). I was curious, having never been to a football game before and agreed to go. Within 10 minutes of kick off, I was wrapped up in the amazing atmosphere of the stadium; it was nothing like anything I'd experienced at the Hockey and Baseball games I went to in America. I already knew by half time that I wanted to be a Hearts supporter and have been for the past 7 topsy-turvy years.

Sorry for the long post, but the reason I support my teams usually have stories to them which I like to tell.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not usually one for sports, except for ice hockey. I have loved ice hockey for as long as I can remember, and here are my favourite teams from each league:

NHL: New York Rangers: My dad took me to a Rangers game when I was about six at Madison square gardens, and I loved the atmosphere. They were playing Toronto Maple leafs and it was brilliant

Elite league (Great britain): Nottingham Panthers: I went to the university of Nottingham, and I would go to the Nottingham Panthers games with some of my friends. Such fond memories.

SM Liiga (sometimes called the Liiga or the Finnish elite league): Jokerit Helsinki. I love their logo and one of my house mates at university was from Finland and he absolutely loved the team, so we used to watch it together and it must have made an impression.

National league (Switzerland): Geneve- Servette HC: They were the first team I played as in one of my friends ice hockey games (it might have been NHL '07, I'm not 100%) so I feel a certain fondness for them.

Deutsche Eishockey Liga (sometimes called DEL, Germany): Eishockeyclub Red Bull München (AKA EHC Red Bull München). Another one of my university housemates was from Munich, and one time me and him went to Munich for the weekend with a group of friends to watch them play and I really enjoyed myself.

Out of those teams though, I would say I follow Nottingham Panthers and New York Rangers the closest, but I like to keep tabs on all the teams I have listed from time to time, just to see how they are doing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Bears
Chicago Blackhawks
Chicago Cubs

Can you guess why?
Solidarity.

OT: I'm more or less one who pays more attention to contact sports, and that is why I will be speaking of football and hockey only. Therefore, I wish to go on record that I root for the Steelers and the Penguins respectively.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Chicago Bulls
Chicago Bears
Chicago Blackhawks
Chicago Cubs

Can you guess why?
Because you hate yourself? :D

Wait...Blackhawks are good so that can't be it.

OT: As a Minnesotan, the only team/sport I follow is the NFL and the Minnesota Vikings (talk about hating yourself :,(

I think I could get into hockey and the Wild but it's only on cable, which I find is a complete waste of money.
I absolutely refuse to support The Twins (Basebeall) as long as the Pohlads are managing that team.
Basketball is boring.
I'd love to get more into soccer but ESPN seems to believe that Americans will not watch it and therefore they don't show it. Hopefully Ziggi (Vikings owner) is going to get us a MLS team :D

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Favorite team? No, I certainly don't have one of those. >.> <.< Why are you looking at me like that?

Can't be bothered to care about most US sports, but I'll cheer New York Red Bulls since Henry is playing for them now.

WWWLUCIFERCOM

Jan 18, 2013
Football The New York Jets
Baseball The New York Yankees
Basketball The Knicks
Hockey The Rangers
Soccer Arsenal

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Norwegian, so I don't have many American teams I support.

Football: SK Brann (from the 2nd biggest city in Norway) and FC Bayern Munich.
NHL: Anaheim Ducks because I once saw a movie in which they were pretty cool.
Baseball: New York Yankees, because Seinfeld.
Formula 1: Williams BMW, even though they don't exist anymore.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
NHL -Calgary Flames because I live in Calgary and have always cheered for them.

Everything Else -which ever team is the most entertaining to watch at the time.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Scottish Football - Dundee United. Simple this one. Born and raised in Dundee, and my dad took me to games since I was young. And while those times weren't particularly great, it's made the times we're having now all the sweeter. :D

Other football teams - These aren't teams I would claim I was a fan of, but more I have a soft spot for them for various reasons. Swansea, Arsenal and York City I "follow" because I've been to Swansea, London and York on holiday and picked up a top while I was there (a bit of a tradition when I go on holiday with the family). Southampton I follow because I had a fun game with them on Football Manager.

Elite League (British Ice Hockey) - Dundee Stars. Always enjoyed watching Ice Hockey, and they are the nearest team, basically. Haven't been to a game in a while unfortunately, as I've stopped seeing the friend that I always go with D:

NHL - New Jersey Devils. Actually, I'm not entirely sure of the reason why for this. I think it was something to do with either playing as them on an NHL game or me watching House a ton around the same time as I was getting Ice Hockey.

Spaghetti said:
Scottish Premiership (Football): Heart of Midlothian. I was actually a Manchester United fan till I moved to the US from the UK, but being about 10 when I moved, I just liked them because they were the best. Living in America for two years, it was difficult to follow or watch them and I'd fallen in love with American sports that I stopped supporting them. A few years after coming back from the US, my Dad (a massive Hearts fan) offered to take me to a Hearts game as we were in Edinburgh (Hearts home town). I was curious, having never been to a football game before and agreed to go. Within 10 minutes of kick off, I was wrapped up in the amazing atmosphere of the stadium; it was nothing like anything I'd experienced at the Hockey and Baseball games I went to in America. I already knew by half time that I wanted to be a Hearts supporter and have been for the past 7 topsy-turvy years.
A fellow fan of Scottish football! :O

I met one on here (a Hibs fan, coincidentally) once before, but I never thought I'd see another again! Anyway, I can understand why you got wrapped up. Tynecastle does have a damn fine atmosphere, I'll give it that, and it's a shame to see Hearts in the situation that they are in.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
tippy2k2 said:
OT: As a Minnesotan, the only team/sport I follow is the NFL and the Minnesota Vikings (talk about hating yourself :,(

I think I could get into hockey and the Wild but it's only on cable, which I find is a complete waste of money.
I absolutely refuse to support The Twins (Basebeall) as long as the Pohlads are managing that team.
Basketball is boring.
I'd love to get more into soccer but ESPN seems to believe that Americans will not watch it and therefore they don't show it. Hopefully Ziggi (Vikings owner) is going to get us a MLS team :D
Another Vikings fan!

WOOOOH! :D

OT: So yeah, that, and I don't watch NBA because fuck those guys.

I also follow the Minnesota Twins, and that's mainly because my dad is a Twins fan, as well as a Vikings fan, and we watch games together.

NCAA basketball, on the other hand, I'm all about Duke. The coach is pretty awesome and they're a solid team, and you can't be stupid and still expect to play.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Lenoh said:
Personally, I'm a bit biased due to being from Northern California

NHL: Sharks. Because I'm originally from San Jose :D
NBA: Anyone but the Kings and the Lakers. Nothx.
NFL: Niners, though I do respect Raiders fans. Montana, Young/Rice, and now Kaepernick? Yeah...
MLB: Giants, never really liked the A's' colors.

So what about you?
Not a soccer fan? I see you didn't list the earthquakes.

My favourite club is Liverpool football club. They are doing well this season, hopefully they continue with the good form.
I'm not into baseball but I suppose I would support the red sox as the guy who owns them owns Liverpool too

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
Third reference to the Minnesota Twins! If only the second positive one. Only professional sports team I've ever paid to see live, and I spend far more time on a Twins fan site than is socially acceptable during the offseason.

As for why, I spent a lot of time in hospitals with sick relatives during two summers as a lad, so I watched a lot of games on hospital cable during the day (when nothing else was on). Cheap seats were only $7 at the time, so I would go at least 3 or 4 times per year. After a while... you get invested.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
NCAA basketball, on the other hand, I'm all about Duke. The coach is pretty awesome
That man is literally worse than Hitler.

OT: The Virginia Cavaliers in every sport. Grew up following them out of family tradition and still support them over the school I actually did attend. It's a shame that they're phenomenal choke artists, but I still love them regardless.