What is your gamer stereotype breaking hobby?

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I own koi, and enjoy just as much time watching my little fishies swimming around the pond as I do playing video games. For a lot of people the idea of a gamer enjoying such a peaceful hobby is an exception rather than common place. So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?

Here are some of my newer koi

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Well if people consider gamers shy/unsocial/awkward/whatever I'm a stand up comedian although honestly we're some of the nerdiest people alive.
I have heard a lot of people call gamers shy and awkward, so that works. Also,that's awesome you being a stand up comedian. ^-^

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, I don't really know what the stereotype is supposed to be in the first place.

But I write. And play the guitar. But saying I can play the guitar is like saying Kenny G is a good jazz musician.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
DoPo said:
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
I guess I mean the image that comes up in some people's minds when they think of someone who avidly plays video games. Like those attrocious reports by fox news whenever a shooting takes place and they bring up games.

What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?
shrekfan246 said:
Well, I don't really know what the stereotype is supposed to be in the first place.

But I write. And play the guitar. But saying I can play the guitar is like saying Kenny G is a good jazz musician.
Writing and guitar are both pretty cool, what kind of things do you write?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Sports sports sports sports SPORTS!

I am a youth soccer coach and I absolutely love to play soccer. I am also very active in fantasy football (the nerds of jocks so maybe that doesn't count...) and follow my Minnesota Vikings with great interest. I will also follow the Minnesota MLS team if my buddy Zygi hooks a state up!

I also enjoy golf.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
titankore said:
Writing and guitar are both pretty cool, what kind of things do you write?
At the moment I've been primarily working on a science-fantasy story set in a world I've thought up, while fleshing out my thoughts of the world as a whole for a greater series of stories set in the same universe but taking place during different times.

I've also written a few user reviews for video games in the user review section of this website, and every now and then flex my brain at some light poetry.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
titankore said:
I guess I mean the image that comes up in some people's minds when they think of someone who avidly plays video games. Like those attrocious reports by fox news whenever a shooting takes place and they bring up games.
Yeah, isn't the stereotypical gamer...erm, only playing games? I'm pretty sure they aren't described as having other hobbies, so really, anything breaks the gamer stereotype. Unless people around here really do only play games and occasionally shoot others. But by being in the forum, they sort of don't play games so they don't follow the stereotype by default.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Well, sometimes.... I like to..... go outside. *thunderclash*

Seriously, though I really don't have one accept for mild social interaction. I don't really socialize all that much, and if I do it's with a small, equally introverted group. So...

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Well I go surfing occasionally and am a natural at it because I have great balance. Apart from that I pretty much fit the stereotype, I hate pretty much all team sports but I can enjoy something a little more personal like Tennis or Squash.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
I keep an aquarium, grow carnivorous plants, dabble in guitar and am also a film buff. And while it's not a hobby, I make sure to take care of my physical appearance and personal hygiene to help break the stereotype.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Well, sometimes I play football(soccer) with my friends. But I have asthma, so I'm a goalkeeper, quite a good one, I'd like to think.
Also, I really enjoy camping. Aaaaaaaaand that's it.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I'm a bit of a handyman, fixing up the house & doing all my own repair work on the families cars. Oh & I love the outdoors I really want to go camping, haven't been in quite a while. I don't have a girlfriend, but I'm actively looking so I guess that's a thing...

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Yay! So many awesome hobbies and interests!
^-^
It is nice to see that my fellow gamers are so diverse and full of awesome talents.