What is your gamer stereotype breaking hobby?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I'm a singer and I play tennis. Also, while I may be shy about introducing myself to people, I'm completely fearless when I'm being watched by an entire audience.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I'm female ... Not really a hobby, or not even uncommon. Though I guess having a vagina is enough to break the stereotype, I guess.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I'm a runner and I'm an aspiring classical singer.

I've been running for 18 years. But I play dance games so my athleticism shines pretty well through that. ;)

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Introvert, so my other hobbies reflect as much. I do traditional watercolor paintings and pencil drawings ('cuz I'm too lazy to set up my tablet) for hours at a time, amateur wild life photography, baking, and mostly spend quiet afternoons/nights reading or watching documentaries if I don't feel like gaming.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
War Penguin said:
I play drums. Well... kinda. I've played classical percussion for more than two years now [small](snare drum, bass drum, suspended cymbal, crash cymbal, auxiliary)[/small]. Just finally got to play the timpani in my college ensemble [small](they're the big bowl shaped drums)[/small] after begging my instructor for a piece. :p

Right now I'm learning how to play the full drum set. And I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has any tips, that would be fantastic. >.>

I'm also teaching myself how to dance. But it really just boils down to me just dancing in my room with no one looking. I'm still trying to be this guy though:

Damn... So cool...
That's mine almost to a T, even down to the "dancing when no one's around" department.
I played percussion from 5th grade all the way through high school so that makes... 7 years.
I would love to have a set in my house, although having parents that like to sleep a lot kind of kills that idea.

And dude, you would be surprised how far teaching yourself how to dance goes. I don't know if you're actually looking up moves or if you're just putting on some music and doing whatever you want but the latter is EXACTLY what I did for about two solid years with Beatles music EVERY DAY after I got home from school.
Cool story about that. When I did my first high school play (and in all the ones after that) our choreographer kept telling me I was the best dancer we had. She would ask
"Did you ever take lessons?"
My response
"Heh, no. I just danced at home to Beatles music all the time."
It just fine-tunes itself.
Funny thing is, I have no idea if I'm actually a good dancer. Apparently when I'm choreographed, I'm really good, but I have no idea how good my regular "some music I like is playing" dancing is.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
i have been playing guitar for 2 years, so yeah im also a music nerd. and movie's nerd but nothing compared to moviebob of course.

chukrum47

Jun 10, 2011
I am heavily involved in Martial Arts (2nd degree Black Belt in American Kenpo Karate, and 2nd degree Black Belt in Taekwondo), and I play a lot of tennis as well as just generally loving physical activity.

And I love reading? Does that count as breaking a stereotype? :p

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
I love all types of water sports, like skiing and kneeboarding, and definitely tubing, oh so fun.

I am a gun nut, but more for the historical and mechanical aspects, but they are so fun to shoot as well, I own 4 rifles and 3 pistols so far, all older than me haha.

I am somewhat of a gearhead, I love the Pirelli GTS series, I love Top Gear (UK) and I'm in the process of helping my dad rebuild an engine for a 1970s Kawasaki motorcycle that my uncle won in an auction in the '70s, drove it home, and it's been in his garage up until 3 years ago about and it didn't get drained or anything and so the carburetor got ruined. The reason it's taking so long is cause I'm in Michigan and my parents moved down to Texas 2 years ago so I can only make it down there so much.

ummm as someone mentioned I have a girlfriend haha.

Idk, I like to party and hang out with friends a lot.

And this is someone who is a History major, loves comic books, music, movies, novels, Warhammer 40k, video games, D&D, Star Wars D20, Dark Heresy, you name it and I can nerd/geek out about it haha.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well I'm pretty stereotypical. People who meet me say I sound very intellectual though it is meant as a compliment not an insult at privileged education and experience or nerdy status or anything like that which doesn't seem to happen in pop culture anymore to a serious degree (I consider Big Bang Theory kind of insulting frankly but it's lighthearted and what not and it's about stereotypical quirks being "adorable" and funny so I let it slide. A lot of people who watch that show think of their "nerdy" friends and how "awesome" it is that they're like the show it seems or they just like really bad sitcom). I'm also majoring in Computer Science though not for stereotypical reasons and frankly I personally think my life as well as my inclinations have given me a well rounded talent for overall subjects and fields to a mid-high degree so I could have easily copped out to liberal arts or something. Though I'm weird in the sense I think everyone has that capability and their standards are being lowered by environmental problems rather than born smarts but that's a whole other issue and I'm getting off track as it is. Like a lot of gamers I also have a related self-inflicted back problem. When you get me engaged I will rant like crazy too especially about games but I know I do it and can stop if I want to. Sometimes I do it just to annoy people ;). Heck, even now I'm going on a bit too long; there was a time when I didn't bother with forums and responding to comments on a Facebook page I follow so if anything I sort of became more stereotypical with time.

It breaks down when people find out about my struggle with school; they're surprised to find out I'm a combination of lazy and uninterested with school and that I also need extra time devotion than the average person when it comes to memorizing important things and studying. I also hang around a fairly diverse group of people rather than strictly stereotypical gamers or something. People say I have an interesting way of looking at things sometimes, apparently I am interesting person to listen to, usually involving anything philosophical or political but it's no different from any other person's unique thoughts on specific subjects they feel passionate about if you ask me. I can adapt to situations and while I have social quirks I've been told I'm pretty social when I want to be and that I understand people well. I don't know if that's true or not but people think that and just them thinking that has to count as breaking the stereotype I suppose. Of course, I also zone out and stay stupid things without thinking for a necessary longer period of time so I'm not Mr. Popular Perfect Well Rounded Etc. kid either. I also used to be a runner and plan on getting back into it soon. Actually, I love physical stuff and really wish I was more involved in it rather than just running.