What is your 'pet' genre?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Watching a Yahtzee review (I forget which) he mentioned that Survival Horror was his 'pet genre', and it got me thinking. What would you call your pet genre?

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
DOS era 3dshooters (Doom, Powerslave, Darkforces, etc...) not sure that counts though, since they don't make them any more.

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
oo tough question, i'd like to think rpg as well i like fps but i just like the idea of grwoing stronger often the non linear storyline like fallout or even mass effect. and the choice between good and evil, even if it is not a startling choice.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I guess my pet genre is fighting game(that seem grammatically wrong). Which is way it annoys me that there are so few that are any good.

credop

Oct 8, 2008
ooh. There are so many. Uhhm. My 3 pet genres would be RPG, Platforming or Horror.

My pet game which i can't find anywhere, is clock tower 3. I don't think it's a very good game, but i played it when i was younger and i fell in love.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
The third person action genre is mine (games include Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Bayonetta).

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
FPS. Or if that's too generic sometimes, sandbox games. I rarely play stealth, point/click, racing, fighter games.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I quite like RPGs, good survival horror, good stealth games (read: Thief), and the odd platformer. Likely to try most that I come across, and care rather more about quality than I normally might.

A real pet genre, though? Bullet hell. Mildly obscure, but I'll play most of the ones I come across. Which doesn't mean much in practice, since I can't acquire many games of the sort.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
Role Playing Games.
The elder scrolls, World of warcraft, Dragon age, Fable, Gothic etc
WIthout a doubt, these are my kind of games. thats why I am so pleased at the momment.
Fallout: new Vegas and Fable III while waiting for Star wars the old republic!
/nerdgasm

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
RPG's or FPS games.

Tough decision, can't decide.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
FPS, though since I dislike the realistic/military themed games that dominate the genre at the moment it's hard to find recent FPSs that I like. I picked up STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on sale on Steam last weekend though, and I think I could learn to love that game...that is, once I get to grips with the terrifyingly competent enemy AI.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Strategy games, both RTS and TBS. Series like Total War, Heroes Of Might And Magic, Command And Conquer (especially Red Alert games (especially 2))... They're all awesome.