What is your "That Book"?

Jaso11111

Sep 22, 2010
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemis Fowl from Eoin Colfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
Stephen King's Misery. I don't know why, but I like it more and more every time I read it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The Count of Monte Cristo, best revenge story ever!

.....what? I just really like reading it.....

Neil Gaiman's Stardust too. One of my favorite Neil Gaiman stories.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
The Thief Lord. Something about that book I just really like. It's pretty intriguing.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I enjoy the entire series immensely. (Yeah, even that Eoin Colfer book. Wasn't as good but still rather entertaining)

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Either Artemis Fowl and The Lost Colony or Shadow's Edge the Night Angels Trilogy. Both of which I consider to be the best in their respective series.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The Halo books.

Fuckin' love 'em, even if they aren't the most well written things on the planet.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Nothing wrong with that, I like reading it too... get past the first two hundred pages and it steams past.

That and Magician by Raymond E Feist, damned good read and blubworthy at a few points.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's just a perfect book in my mind. It's funny, scary, sad and thought provoking. By the Great Magnet, it will also be MY book.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
SckizoBoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Nothing wrong with that, I like reading it too... get past the first two hundred pages and it steams past.

That and Magician by Raymond E Feist, damned good read and blubworthy at a few points.
Yay I'm not the only one, and I totally agree with getting past that point.

Also, Magician is sitting on my stack of books I've been meaning to read, I've heard it's really good.

EBonhawk09

Nov 1, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
The Halo books.

Fuckin' love 'em, even if they aren't the most well written things on the planet.
This. And many of the Star Wars books.

Also, Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. I've only read it once so far, but I absolutely loved it. And the second half of Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. I do love my science fiction!

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

You have great taste, my friend.

As well as the two listed above, I'll say Bram Stoker's Dracula- I read this so much in high school that the cover fell off. And The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, because I adore any and all of Poe's writings (I've got three different copies of his complete works, so one is bound to be with me no matter where I am). And quite a few more, of course. Shakespeare's Hamlet. Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. And, last but not least, Plato's Symposium.

...And a lot of others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Thus are the dangers of asking such a question of an English major.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

So it does improve? Because I gave up on it after a while, got tired of reading about dinner parties and whatnot, and would like to try it again.

I might go down for Gaiman's stuff, but my big one would be anything from the Discworld, but Mort in particular. I just love that one for some reason.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
DJDarque said:
The Dresden Files. I could read them all day, every day. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
This. It's a shame that the TV show wasn't very good, but the books are fantastic!

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
A swedish book called "Snabba Cash". Translated it's "Fast Cash". (We do love stealing english words, Swenglish is the shit).

Not an exceptionally deep or influential book. But damn it is an exciting and involving read that fans the flames of ambition and gives you a taste of the fast life.

It's about a mid-level boss in the yugoslavian mafia, an escapee from prison/ex-gangster and a wannabe rich-kid economy student who all get dragged into the cocaine trade in the underworld of Stockholm.

Money, plotting and violence ensues.

Oct 30, 2010
Starship Troopers

I find a lot of his stuff really re-readable tbh.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
LiberalSquirrel said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

You have great taste, my friend.

As well as the two listed above, I'll say Bram Stoker's Dracula- I read this so much in high school that the cover fell off. And The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, because I adore any and all of Poe's writings (I've got three different copies of his complete works, so one is bound to be with me no matter where I am). And quite a few more, of course. Shakespeare's Hamlet. Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. And, last but not least, Plato's Symposium.

...And a lot of others that I'm forgetting at the moment. Thus are the dangers of asking such a question of an English major.
I love Poe, I read him religiously in Junior High, and occasionally still do. I have a really nice leather bound Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe as a graduation present, but I'm afraid to touch it since it's really nice and I don't want to ruin it.

And you are the first person that has read Plato's Symposium I've encountered.

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
SckizoBoy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Yay I'm not the only one, and I totally agree with getting past that point.

Also, Magician is sitting on my stack of books I've been meaning to read, I've heard it's really good.
I just started reading the Count - I guess you guys reckon it's worth sticking with? I like it when Dumas completely breaks the fourth wall and says things like "well dear readers...". It's like nothing I've read before tbh. Characters seem to lack subtlety thus far but it's fun all the same.

Magician is alright I guess, but in my most humble opinion the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Erikson is much more worth your time. Though it will take a *lot* more time. Man those books are long.

Scarecrow 8 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Read it while I was travelling around America last month - great book, absolutely insane in places.

Erm as to what is "My book"? Probably the Guards series in Discworld. Currently reading them to my girlfriend, they are so much fun :3 Sam Vimes is my hero.