What kind of let's plays do you like to watch?

Hurrly

Aug 4, 2013
I enjoy strategy games/ base building to see the different designs people come up with.
Chadtopia, Veriax and official stuff plus all do great LP on evil genius dungeon keeper 2 and prison architect and have me searching out for more interesing lets plays .

I also enjoy checking out alphas such as rimworld, prison architect, space base etc.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
MephistosCousin said:
The_Lost_King said:
I like people who have a lot of commentary, and as long as like 50% of it is about the game I'm fine.

I also prefer Single player games or if it is multi-player I want it to be co-op or Starcraft 2.

Rage vs. Happy: I like them to like the game, if they have like a video or two making fun of the game, it's fine. It's also fine if they are frustrated at a really stupid part, like when Jesse Cox gets to his breaking point and yells at the game.

Little edit vs. lots of edit: If they are trekking between towns and couldn't think of anything to talk about, I'm fine with them editing it. If they are stuck on a boss and edit out like 20 minutes of death, I'm fine. Otherwise I don't like that much editting.
hmm...I think you'd like some of my let's plays then.

But i have to ask...why the Starcraft 2? I like the game but it seems like a random game to have as an semi-exception to something.
I'm saying only starcraft because it is the only online game I care to watch.

I'll check you out.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I typically like to see single player lets plays, the exceptions of course are people who do multiplayer but are really funny (Seananners and co. Some of their stuff is hilarious)

I prefer when the person in question is having fun on the game and talks about it, providing information (To a point... Bisnap's Isaac stuff can get a bit repetitive on the info provide "Cube of Meat is an orbital which blocks tears and deals damage to enemies" is a line that is said in like 90% at least of his Isaac videos)

Generally when I watch lets plays, they don't have much editing (So gameplay and commentary are done at the same time) with whatever editing done is usually just skipping out necessary content (Like someone spending 30-60 minutes doing back tracking, it's not fun to watch and cutting it out keeps the videos more enjoyable)

I like to have a fair amount of commentary, usually in the form of talking about what they plan to do, what they are doing and the occasional story time for giggles. For the multiplayer stuff, it tends to need a lot of commentary, since without it, it'd just be a video of a bunch of dicks playing a game...

Kazamieras - Dark Souls and Demon's Souls

Bisnap - Binding of Isaac

Bisnap + Baertaffy - Baersnap Daily Challenge

Northernlion - Binding of Isaac + Spelunky (I don't watch him much these days, but he did get me into watching BoI and Spelunky LP's)

Seananners - Hidden, Trouble in Terrorist Town, Garry's Mod Murder and Garry's Mod Prop Hunt (Some of it is great, others can be a bit repetitive...)

Hutch - Garry's Mod Prop Hunt + Speed Chess

Currently checking out Lobos Jr's Dark Souls challenge runs

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I tend to watch whatever let's play Achievement Hunter puts out.

Other than them, the only let's plays I watch are from Robbaz.

Otherwise, if I want to watch gameplay, I watch stuff without commentary.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
There's usually two kinds I watch:

- people that really know what they're doing and are playing games I really like.
- people being random and silly.

Mostly the latter. Stuff like Birgirpall, Jesse Cox & Crendor, Robbaz and MoogleFTW were for me incredibly fun to watch/listen to.

I generally prefer singleplayer games. Multiplayer is generally only fun if it's heavily edited, and that's not usually my cup of tea (there are some great exceptions). Also, I don't like facecams or people raging all the time. It just gets tedious. Another thing is that I generally watch LP's of games I already have played myself or that I know I will never play, mostly on account of spoilers.

MephistosCousin

Dec 4, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
There's usually two kinds I watch:

- people that really know what they're doing and are playing games I really like.
- people being random and silly.

Mostly the latter. Stuff like Birgirpall, Jesse Cox & Crendor, Robbaz and MoogleFTW were for me incredibly fun to watch/listen to.

I generally prefer singleplayer games. Multiplayer is generally only fun if it's heavily edited, and that's not usually my cup of tea (there are some great exceptions). Also, I don't like facecams or people raging all the time. It just gets tedious. Another thing is that I generally watch LP's of games I already have played myself or that I know I will never play, mostly on account of spoilers.
I love Robbaz...he's very interesting XD

I wasnt aware Jesse and Crendor did let's plays D: I thought they were purely podcast. Well guess I need to go look them up.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
MephistosCousin said:
I love Robbaz...he's very interesting XD

I wasnt aware Jesse and Crendor did let's plays D: I thought they were purely podcast. Well guess I need to go look them up.
I really recommend it. They did quite a few games together (things like Simcity, Battlefield, Outlast, Revelations 2012). Their Saints Row The Third play was wondrous and now they're busy doing SRIV. They're basically all on Jesse's youtube channel. Jesse's solo LP's and his Terraria and Starbound vids with TotalBiscuit are very much worth it as well.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I don't really prefer certain types, as long as what the LP-er is doing is well done then it's fine. I will say that if the game being Let's Played is story driven, it's much easier to make me (and I'm assuming most other people) sit down and watch for an extended period of time. If the game either has a barely existent story, or you have the option to just avoid it, expect to do lavish amounts of editing to actually make it watchable.

ChipCheezum [https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs] has LP's that are very watchable, albeit not hugely entertaining.

Also, as far as your LPs, you're most likely going to learn a lot from trial and error than anything else, so don't be afraid to experiment with all kinds of different formats, editing stuff, and your general sense of humor.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I only watch Lowtax [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzJSWJKIxoc]. Other than that, i don't watch Let's Plays or playthroughs as they used to be called, or video guides. I occasionally look up game play videos for a game i'm interested in to learn more but i generally just want to see a short game play section with no commentary.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
For the most part the only Lets Plays I follow religiously is the Game Society Pimps Channel, they're a funny lot. Particularly it were the Christopher Walken-throughs that brought me to the rest of channel, and their on going fan narrative of various Skyrim characters living out their weird lives in pursuit of arbitrary goals. A main character is called; Crotch Guzzler, end of story.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
The only Let's Plays I watch these days are by STAR_, who generally focusses on Team Fortress 2 content, such as trying out new weapons, experimental loadout combinations, and general tactical advice. I actually find his style genuinely informative and helpful to playing the game, and his delivery style is upbeat and fairly lighthearted.
Beyond that, I honestly find Let's Plays pretty difficult and uninteresting to watch, I rarely pick up on anything useful I could do in the game when I play myself and there always seems to be an over reliance on a few stock phrases to try and get laughs.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Clever way to disguise a shameless self-promotion, OP.

Anyway, I'm a huge Yogscast fan. Subbed to every one of them and pretty much click anything they upload. Sips, Nilesy and Panda in particular. I like funny stuff, none of that rage crap that's always painfully fake and contrived. I'm perfectly fine without humor too, as long as the person playing it has a cool personality.

Outside of Yogscast videos I watch some Jesse Cox, but only when he's playing solo though. I really can't stand Dodger and Crendor. I enjoyed the Terraria content he did with Totalbiscuit though. Perfect combination

MephistosCousin

Dec 4, 2011
NearLifeExperience said:

Anyway, I'm a huge Yogscast fan. Subbed to every one of them and pretty much click anything they upload. Sips, Nilesy and Panda in particular. I like funny stuff, none of that rage crap that's always painfully fake and contrived. I'm perfectly fine without humor too, as long as the person playing it has a cool personality.

Outside of Yogscast videos I watch some Jesse Cox, but only when he's playing solo though. I really can't stand Dodger and Crendor. I enjoyed the Terraria content he did with Totalbiscuit though. Perfect combination
Well if I AM gonna be advertising like a shameless whore...I can at least TRY to actually be constructive about it and ask genuine questions I have and not be a totally ass while doing it :p

I used to love Yogcast myself...but after watching them for about a year I got kinda bored with their style. (its gets a bit repetitive)

And ya...TB and Jesse doing Terraria was pretty freaking hilarious

Mundjra95

Jun 29, 2009
For me I've always been partial to the way that Seananners does his videos now. Punchy, and highlighting the best things that went on. I find it hard to sit down and watch a massive series of Let's Plays, unless it's like the Achievement Hunter boys or Two Best Friends Play.

Bro Team does that sort of thing with the multiplayer "Fate Of" series. If you wanted to do a multiplayer Let's Play with mates of yours, definitely check out what he does.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I enjoy quite a few styles. Informative. Jokes about what's going on. Outright having a conversation about something else (although in most cases this works better for multiplayer). Talking about life stories (which really only seems to work if you're old and experience, rather than young and complaining). Clips shows.

You're not gunna get anywhere if you force yourself into a style that isn't natural.

I co-commentate a couple people. With one it loses momentum fast because of long recordings, and a more official style by having an introduction that totally puts me out the mood.
The other is far more fun with 10 minute recording sessions chatting about relevant stuff and making fandom appropriate jokes.

Edit: Damn good intro you've got by the way. Professional yet unintrusive.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Single player games or Multi? Single.

Angry? Or happy? Depends, but don't force it. When you shot your pet because he walked into your LoF you have all the rights to be annoyed.

Random podcasty? or focused on the game?
Both have their strength / weaknesses. Podcasty for casual LPing; focused when I need information from the segment.

Little editing? Lots of editing? Depends.

Lots of commentary? Minimum commentary? The more the merrier. I like ones where the commentary has little, if at all anything to do with the game mechanics (I already played the game. I don't need you to tell me how the game works). Think of it as the LPer treating the game as a canvas for his/her stuff.

I watch mostly RPG games like FO and TES where the LPer is the character. It's like catching up to a weekly Saturday morning cartoon show.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
I do, however, enjoy role-playing LP's as well. Gopher is probably my favourite for this. Skyrim isn't blind at all, yet he makes it interesting by RP'ing a character with a story. So if an LP isn't blind, then the RP aspect can certainly hook me in. Regardless, the commentary has to be enjoyable regardless of the game. The kind of commentary I like is constructive about the game, either negatively or positively, as long as its genuine. A good voice is also necessary. While your voice isn't something you can't change, and I sympathise with LP'ers with voices I can't stand because of this, it's essential that your voice does not grate on me or is not unpleasant to listen to. The quality of the recording equipment also factors into this. If I'm going to watch an LP'er play a 10-20 hour game, it has to be a pleasure to both watch and listen to.
Isn't watching his tutorials pretty much a requirement if you want to mod your Skyrim? I am just glad Richard didn't break his Skyrim saves yet, unlike Stiv/Willy.

----
edit: I watch Gopher, Alchestbreach, N3, and Robbaz regularly; and sometimes Jimothy.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I barely ever watch them. I think I'm too old to understand why people like them, I'd much rather just play the game myself. I occasionally check them out for 10-20 minutes if I'm undecided on purchasing a game but I usually have to mute the volume as the people are possibly the most annoying I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

The only one I've heard of from your list is Markiplier, and the only reason I remember that name is because I made a mental note to never view his videos in the future due to how annoying he is.

I guess, for the reasons I view LP's, I prefer minimum commentary but I do appreciate some input towards what's good or bad about the game.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
MephistosCousin said:
NearLifeExperience said:

Well if I AM gonna be advertising like a shameless whore...I can at least TRY to actually be constructive about it and ask genuine questions I have and not be a totally ass while doing it :p
Haha, you're not fooling anyone. But since this is a topic I can find myself in, I'm willing to go along with it

MephistosCousin said:
I used to love Yogcast myself...but after watching them for about a year I got kinda bored with their style. (its gets a bit repetitive)
I don't get this, though. Over the past year or so, the Yogscast have expanded so much. Many different people with different personalities and games, I find it impossible to get bored with. Better yet, my interest in them rises the more I watch, because I understand all the inside jokes and running gags. My only problem with them is that their audience is like 70% little babbies that usually ruin the comment section (I wonder why though, most of the jokes are lost on people younger than 20)

Bug MuIdoon said:
I'd much rather just play the game myself.
Something I frequently hear from people that don't understand LPs. But see, that's a logical error. There's a vast difference between playing a game yourself, and watching a video of someone playing it. It's like watching TV. People don't watch the video for the game, but for the person playing. They think he/she provides amusing commentary and has a cool personality. Like for instance, Yogscast Sips is currently playing some lame woodcutter simulator that I wouldn't play in a gazillion years, but I still very much enjoy his videos on it. The game doesn't matter, a good LPer can make anything fun to watch.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
For me, a good LP channel is about the personalities rather than the games as I'm generally more entertained by them than what they're playing. I tend to only watch ones featuring games I'm probably never going to play.
Ones I watch on a regular basis are:
Game Grumps
Robbaz
Achievement Hunter
Two Best Friends
I enjoy Birgirpall also but I don't watch their stuff regularly. Only when I'm bored and can't find anything else to watch.