What music do you listen to while playing video games?

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
There's two songs in particular that I listen to when playing games.

Groundhog by Noisia, and Catgroove by Parov Stelar. Those two songs just pump me up and make me play better.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
Sturmdolch said:
I usually have WinAMP running with the only song in the playlist being "Ride of the Valkyries". It makes epic moments more epic. I can just hit play on my keyboard whenever I feel it should come on.

Zerg rush? Ride of the Valkyries.
Banshee rush? Ride of the Valkyries.
Killing raiders? Ride of the Valkyries.
Flying a blackhawk? You get the point.
Cookie for you

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Nothing. The game's audio is enough for me. Unless you count the PC versions of GTA, in which I listen to my own MP3s while driving.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Usually the soundtrack, but in some fighting games and sometimes online, I have a huge set of classic rock.

I also have an off topic story. A friend of mine was playing Halo 3 with his music on scramble, and a romance song came on when
Sgt. Johnson
died, and Master Cheif was cradling the corpse. I forget the title, but it was that one with: "Every time we touch" etc. I loled.

Back on topic, the games I play are best suited to good old classic rock. I love AC/DC, and shoot to thrill blaring in the background on Red Faction as I flee from an EDF assault, before turning sharply, stepping out, and wielding my Nano-rifle. Or on Just Cause, leaping from a plane with Highway to Hell. Yes, I have other music for other moments, but these popped into my mine first.
Aerosmith, The Who, and various others make it on the list. Pinball hero on Zen pinball is fitting. Duh.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
nuqneh1 said:
Rammstein for PS2 games.

While playing Team Fortress 2, well...

Epic win.

I just go to play all on my xbox, and since I have over 70 artists on it, it's always a surprise. Takes a while to load though.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I only listen to the ingame OSTs now.

Although back in my Freshman year, when I played loads of COD4 matchmaking, I'd play lot's of thrash and heavy metal while playing.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Dead Kennedys seemed to fit nicely into Fallout NV but generally I don't listen to music while I play

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
ezeroast said:
Dead Kennedys seemed to fit nicely into Fallout NV but generally I don't listen to music while I play
I can never listen to music in Fallout. Whenever I do I end up not noticing the hoardes of deathclaws that are following me until they have already dismembered me.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Well, today I listened to God Help the Girl while playing New Vegas. But I'll listen to whatever is in my iPod.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I put my own music onto open world games sometimes. I generally find that what works best with that is something kind of ambient, electronic and atmospheric, what with so much time being spent exploring the open environments.

I used to play Oblivion while playing trance, and it worked really well. Like, it was surprising how well that music fit despite the game being in a sort of medieval fantasy setting. Other stuff that worked was slower...I guess what you'd call chillout music, maybe. It created an interesting mood to go with the visuals of being in nature.

I think the tracks I specifically used most were various remixes of Silence by Delerium (especially Tiesto's In Search Of Sunrise remix), and quite a bit of Nine Inch Nails, particularly their slower stuff like Hurt, Right Where It Belongs, Beside You In Time, although Survivalism was great for fights or being chased, obviously.

I put in some rock as well but, even though I like the music, it didn't necessarily fit the mood of that particular game. I have a feeling that Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin would fit really well with something more like Fallout, though. I should try that. It would suit the desolate, post-industrial and post-apocalyptic desert environment. (I'm listening to Voodoo Chile Blues right now and I think it would work amazingly with roaming and exploration in Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas).

I haven't tried my own music with other games, purely because open world games are the only type of games that go on so long that I get sick of hearing the same tracks. Even with Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, really long games, I only got sick of one or two tracks, and both of those were heard on the Normandy. The rest of the soundtrack was so varied or at least interesting/not endlessly repeated that I never felt a need to change. Although, back in the old days, there were times where I had to play Final Fantasy on mute because I got sick of the battle music.