What music do you listen to while playing video games?

LazerStallion

Apr 4, 2010
OSTs are great sometimes, but I like playing my own music sometimes if I find things that fit the game. I love listening to The Protomen while playing Red Dead Redemption, which may sound odd being how they make music about Megaman, but the western style music fits great. Also, the Velvet Underground is beautiful during Super Meat Boy-relaxing and smooth in contrast to, well, Super Meat Boy. What about you guys? Any good combinations you've found?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Unless it's multiplayer that does not require much attention to sound, I just stick to the games OST. Well ok, there have been times where the music has been so bland that I have decided to dub over it with something entertaining, but for the most part I just stick with the normal OST.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I usually just let the game's music take care of my listening. It's designed to work with the game, and not be interesting enough to distract you from the action. But, if I do get in the mood to play my own music, it really does depend on the game.

For example, I noticed an exploit in AoE 3, where you could take your own music mp3s, rename them to the names of the ones in the music folder, and move them over. The game would recognize the names, and subsequently play them. I chose classical music obviously.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Rammstein in online multiplayer, when I'm crusading the campaign either 30 Seconds to Mars or Celldweller is my muse.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
The only game I played with my own music was Mechwarrior IV: Mercenaries, and even then only on multiplayer. It was a fairly long playlist with everything, from Beethoven to Electric Light Orchestra to Pink Floyd.

Otherwise, I always play as the game intends the player to play.

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
I usually like the music the game has. Unless its a long game like a tower defense or any other such game then I listen to some DropKick Murphy's.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
depends on the game, can be anything from A7X to slipknot, then unternull to suicide commando, to linkin park and rise against, then as i lay dying. Mostly some kinda metal or industrial if i'm playing a game that requires me slaughtering a lot of things. and something more mellow for the other parts.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
I usually end up listening to the Drunk Tank podcast when I play online. For some reason, I feel like I do better when I do.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
It depends on the game of course, but I usually don't listen to any music at all. I've been playing Killzone 2 online for about a week now(very late to the party) and without the sound of bullets and dust going through the wind it doesn't feel immersive at all.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
nuqneh1 said:
This made me laugh the whole time I was listening.

I don't listen to music while playing a game. The developers work hard to make music and sounds for games, and I like to listen to their work. Plus, I'm playing Dead Space right now, and sound is important why playing it.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Depends entirely on the game. If for say a shooter definalty Escape the Fate and 30 Seconds to Mars for their war albums or some Micheal Andrews for MOH:Airborne. But all others its whatever is good playing on my ipod.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I usually have WinAMP running with the only song in the playlist being "Ride of the Valkyries". It makes epic moments more epic. I can just hit play on my keyboard whenever I feel it should come on.

Zerg rush? Ride of the Valkyries.
Banshee rush? Ride of the Valkyries.
Killing raiders? Ride of the Valkyries.
Flying a blackhawk? You get the point.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Unless I'm playing a racer or something on the DS, I pretty much always stick to the OST.
Although I did use to run iTunes in the background a fair bit back in the days of the original Halo. Can't remember what I'd have been listening to back then though...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
This while playing anything in general

This while playing any FPS

Sturmdolch said:
Banshee rush? Ride of the Valkyries.
OOH! OOH! Is that a Dawn of War reference?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
While playing a Fallout game, Galaxy News Radio or Radio New Vegas.

Otherwise, I tend to go for the hard classic rock---stuff like AC/DC, Guns N Roses, that sort of thing.

Oct 6, 2010
Iron Maiden, Jay Reatard, The Misfits, They Might Be Giants, Rush, orchestra music, and sometimes movie soundtracks (Dark Knight, Pan's Labyrinth, Platoon, etc.)

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
philzibit said:
I usually end up listening to the Drunk Tank podcast when I play online. For some reason, I feel like I do better when I do.
Hey, me too! Except for the online part. I get killed too easily if I don't have the sounds warning me when people are running around and stuff. But for any single player game, if I don't have to pay attention to what's being said in the game, I'll listen to the Drunk Tank.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I usually don't listen to music when playing games - the sound and music of the game is part of the experience. But some games just have very little or repetitive sound - so for something like WoW, sometimes I'll put on a Pandora station (usually the Clutch station - they play stuff by Clutch, Tool, Black Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity - hard rock type stuff).