What on Tatooine is Star Wars: Detours?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
What on Tatooine is Star Wars: Detours?

LucasArts might have a new Star Wars game in the works that takes a detour from the norm.

A recently discovered LucasArts trademark attempt could be a hint toward the title of a future Star Wars game. The trademark is for a property called Star Wars: Detours.

CVG found the trademark, which is for computer games, interactive entertainment, downloadable interactive entertainment, and many other forms of media. It also covers the use of the name for toys, books, pens, and snow globes.

As is the case with most trademark filings, there isn't any information detailing what Star Wars: Detours might be. It could have something to do with the Kinect Star Wars game coming out this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105161-Kinect-Star-Wars-Forza-Coming-Next-Christmas], or a completely different project.

The only thing that I can think of based on the name is that Detours might be a game filled with "What If" circumstances from the Star Wars universe, in the same vein as the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106226-Force-Unleashed-2-DLC-Features-Disturbing-Wookie-Death]. What if Luke never destroyed the Death Star? What if Chewbacca could use the Force and turned to the Dark Side? Those sorts of things.

I'd be up to play a game like that, and I think many others would too. Force Unleashed's DLC shows LucasArts' willingness to take chances in that area. Or Detours could be a game about piloting a freighter around the universe while obeying galactic traffic laws. That could be fun too.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289065/star-wars-detours-new-franchise-emerges/]

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010

[impatiently] I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is Battlefront 3?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Or Detours could be a game about piloting a freighter around the universe while obeying galactic traffic laws. That could be fun too.
DAMN, SOMEONE STOLE YAHTZEE´S IDEA FOR "FUN SPACE GAME: THE GAME!"

Well who knows, maybe they will finish it and Yahtzee will hate it just out of spite :p

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I don't care about anything in the article: all I care about is how that screenshot reminds me that TIE Fighter is dated as all hell.

I sank countless hours into that game.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
...Detours... My best guess is, it'll be a game centered around all the silly detours the Star Wars cast has taken throughout the films: like landing your invasion force on a planet, farthest from it's seat of power. No?
Perhaps a new space simulator, in which you play as a smuggler/space pirate?
Or tactical space battles, with ou as the C.O. of a large battleship like a Star Destroyer?
Kessel Run racing game?

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Snow Globes you say? I'm in!

I like the idea of perhaps some sort of smuggler game. Go through the Galaxy carrying cargo (living and otherwise) from destination to destination. Build your way up until you have a smuggling ring under you. Occasionally show up to help destroy giant space lasers.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
FinalDream said:

[impatiently] I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is Battlefront 3?
I don't know what your talking about, we have no Battlefront 3.

Seriousness: I agree, where the hell be mah Battlefront 3 Lucasarts?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
RatRace123 said:
FinalDream said:

Thirded.

I mean, I remember they used the excuse of we're waiting for a new system. well, they're all out. What, you waiting for the next generation now? I know that Lucasarts is probably jonesing for money, so its not like it would hurt.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Could be for the revamped Star Tours at Disneyworld. Especially if they're planning to sell toys like the Star Tours branded Starspeeder 3000 toy.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
Or tactical space battles, with you as the C.O. of a large battleship like a Star Destroyer?
I'd kind of like this, though I can't help picturing it be something like a Star Wars version of Life of Brian for reasons even I can't explain.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
HankMan said:
The name sounds like some sort of vacation sim, and the player character is the Twoflower of the Star Wars galaxy. I wonder who our guide would be?
Tom Goldman said:
What if Chewbacca could use the Force and turned to the Dark Side? Those sorts of things.
Chewie doesn't need mediclorians, he's already a certifiable force of nature.

RatRace123 said:
FinalDream said:

gmaverick019 said:
tatoonine?

alas, BATTLEFRONT 3?!?!?! where the FUCK are you?
Well apparently production has taken a slight... detour
this post is full of win

and yeah my first thought was also...donde está Battlefront 3?!?!

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
scnj said:
Could be for the revamped Star Tours at Disneyworld. Especially if they're planning to sell toys like the Star Tours branded Starspeeder 3000 toy.
Since I don't trust Lucas or Lucasarts anymore (remember when both those names meant serious quality), it's probably for Star Tours. It is also probably gonna be some crappy kids game on the Wii where you fly and interact with the new Rex (don't know the new pilots name, R2D2, C-3PO, etc.. In other words to x-wing/TIE Fighter what super bombad racing was to cart games.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
deth2munkies said:
I don't care about anything in the article: all I care about is how that screenshot reminds me that TIE Fighter is dated as all hell.

I sank countless hours into that game.
You say that as if it wasn't, and couldn't still be, fun. I doubt I'm the only one who wants updated versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter, as well as Battlefront 3?