What Our Review Scores Mean

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Thank God for Jim!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the reviews section evolves (and improves) with him in charge. He's one of the precious few game critics to have an actual identifiable personality: I know what sort of games he likes and doesn't like, and that's a rare and brilliant thing in a medium where most critics try to be as samey and indistinguishable as possible. He's sometimes controversial, yes, but I like that in a critic. I like knowing that what I'm reading couldn't have just as easily been written by a machine.

Bring on the reviews!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
First of all congratulations on your new job position. I already did on Youtube, but expecting you to read all my youtube comments is very naive.

This scale sounds quite fair, though i do have to wnder where did 0 stars ran away. As it seems to be doing same mistake that most score systems have - making 1(0.5) the actual 0, thus instead of having 10 point scales we have 9 point scales, and in this matter we actually have a 4.5 stars scale, since you go from 0.5 to 5.

Also, i think the best scoring scale would be IGNs review scale [http://www.ign.com/wikis/ign/Game_Reviews]. But a man cant have everything, even if he is in the grace of Jim Sterling.

Jimothy Sterling said:
I made the site worse by replacing stars with stars.

I blew it, guys. I'm sorry.
Your punishment will be not thanking god for you for 1 day!

Saltyk said:
In the US, anything below 70% is considered failing. An A grade can vary, but is usually 90% and above, though, when I was real young, it was 92%. I don't remember all the other letter grades too well.
Pasing grade is 50%, meaning you have learn at least all the basics of the subject. Tests are specially formed to put 50% mark as basic knowledge and anything above is how much the person actually cared to learn.
Then again, in USA you do have that insane system where you actually write letters and mathematical sins instead of marks, so no wonder you did the mistake of making it all the way to 70%.

Rachith Sridhar said:
Lol this will be fun

So will he do Destructoid and Escapist both?
He left Destructoid.

Koshok said:
Rachith Sridhar said:
Lol this will be fun

So will he do Destructoid and Escapist both?
I heard rumblings on the twitterverse that he's leaving Destructoid, but I could be wrong.

If someone would be willing to confirm or deny this?
Jim has officialy confirmed this in multiple locations, including his own youtube channel and destructoid itself. This is true.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
TKretts3 said:
Saltyk said:
In the US, anything below 70% is considered failing. An A grade can vary, but is usually 90% and above, though, when I was real young, it was 92%. I don't remember all the other letter grades too well.
Seriously? I simply cannot fathom a teacher not passing someone for getting a 65%, or for a 50%. I've never been to a school where 50% wasn't a pass. That isn't to say that people only ever dreamed of 50%, no, no, most people got well into the 70s, and I always got into the 80s and 90s.

Man, the US sounds weirder and weirder every day. :S
Strazdas said:
Saltyk said:
Pasing grade is 50%, meaning you have learn at least all the basics of the subject. Tests are specially formed to put 50% mark as basic knowledge and anything above is how much the person actually cared to learn.
Then again, in USA you do have that insane system where you actually write letters and mathematical sins instead of marks, so no wonder you did the mistake of making it all the way to 70%.
I'm perfectly happy with the US system. Think of it this way. On a 10 question test, with each question being of equal value, in the US system you would have to get at least seven right. To only have to get half right, doesn't sound like you would grasp the concepts very well. Would you want an engineer or doctor to only grasp half the concepts of their craft?

But what do I know? I'm merely an ignorant 'Merican and whatnot. Land of Budweiser and home of the Braves. R edumacatian cystim sux 'n avery pursun nos et.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Saltyk said:
I'm perfectly happy with the US system. Think of it this way. On a 10 question test, with each question being of equal value, in the US system you would have to get at least seven right. To only have to get half right, doesn't sound like you would grasp the concepts very well. Would you want an engineer or doctor to only grasp half the concepts of their craft?

But what do I know? I'm merely an ignorant 'Merican and whatnot. Land of Budweiser and home of the Braves. R edumacatian cystim sux 'n avery pursun nos et.
50% is a passing grade, not a good grade. ;)
Most serious universities and colleges (Heck, even most silly ones!) wouldn't accept or priorities anyone who got a bunch of 50s on everything. You can also bet that no serious employer would employ someone with such bad grades, or no university/college degree/diploma! Passing =/= good. Another example, yes, you CAN live if your arms and legs are shopped off, and your tongue is cut out, and ears and eyes taken off, but it wouldn't be very nice.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Saltyk said:

In such test, asnwering 5 questions right means that you know, theorically, half of the subject. That means that unless your answers are very biased to one side, you have a basic knowledge of the whole subject, however not much in depth knowledge required for higher marks. This gives you a pass, as you understand the basics, however it does not mean you are good as it, which would mean good score (7 or higher). The system that you have however only pass people that are good at it and inore everyone else, making it a broken system.
Engineers and doctors have to study for many years on many different subjects. They also have to work under supervisino for yearsa fterwards. I would ahve no problem seeing an eye doctor that got 50% on cardiology since it was one of mandatory subjects, but he didnt want to be a cardiosurgeon, isntead he wanted to be an eye doctor. your sstem however woudl require the doctor to be good at everything.
Specialization is key to skilled profession, school is supposed to give you a taste of everything so you coudl decide for yourself later on. your system however forces the kids to be good at everything, hence the huge failure rates. As you probably noticed, my language skills are not great. i never inspired to be a writer evne if i wrote 2 books in my time. instead im good with numbers and thus my math scores were good. Had the system here were like yours, i would still be stuck in school because of one subject instead of being productive member of society. I passed local language with 6 (out of 10).

I never said that you are ignorant american, merely that grading people with letters was a stupid system and it is mainly used in USA. Just like another stupid system - imperial measurements, that costs USA billions to upkeep since the rest of the world is using more logical metric system.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I really dislike the perfect scores that so many games get. Then again, I compare all games from every genre to eachother and there might have been a better quest log, voice acting or somthing else which had been done better at one point. Heck I think I even argued that the quest log in DA2 was utter crap simply because I compared it to not only DA:O but also WoW.

Heck I even compare the voice acting of tripple A games with that of movies.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Anyone who includes Decepticon comparisons in outlining how his start rating system will work gets my approval. Looking forward to your work. :)

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
I don't give the first fuck about what Greg thought of Dragon Age II.

Man is entitled to believe as he wishes. My job is to support, not to censor.
And that comment alone would lead me to believe the you will do a fine job as reviews editor.

Looking forward to your first review.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to see yet another explanation that a "perfect score" doesn't mean a perfect game. Of course, next game that gets a 5/5 is still going to be hailed/reviled as being marked as perfect regardless. *sigh*

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
wulf3n said:
wait... 2 1/2 stars is below average?

2.5 out of 5?
50%?
The median?
The thing that is supposed to represent average?

... is below average?

Crazy :)
1+2+3+4+5=15
15/5=3
3 is the average
(Apologies is someone already pointed this out)

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
artanis_neravar said:
wulf3n said:

2.5 out of 5?
50%?
The median?

... is below average?

1+2+3+4+5=15
15/5=3
3 is the average
Given that it's half point increments and starts at 0.5 it's more like:

0.5 + 1 + 1.5 + 2 + 2.5 + 3 + 3.5 + 4 + 4.5 + 5 = 27.5
27.5/10 = 2.75
2.75 is the average.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
And so the era of Jim begins.

Let the churches be raised and the torches be lit. No matter what happens, there is going to be some discussion amongst the bloodshed.

Keyboard warriors are lining up as we speak.

Prepare for the war.

[sub][sub][sub]Actually I think a similar guide to the review scores was posted once before or something. A lot of this I knew but it's Jim saying it this time so...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
My main question is if the review score will take into account how much the individual paid for the game. Some companies are starting to ask us to shill out U$D80 for a title and I would be willing provided the experience is considered worth that financial investment. At the same time a game going for $20 doesn't need to be very good by comparison to score higher because it's a "get what you pay for" scenario.

Then again I try and use reviews as a measure of worth from a purchase perspective and not one as to an overall quality of the game perspective.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I've never understood why people get so upset over review scores. They seem to think that because you don't like the game that they like, you are somehow slighting them by giving it a less than perfect score. About the only time I get upset over review scores is when users congregate and seek to destroy a game's user review score average on Metacritic, like what was done to Darksiders II and the Devil May Cry reboot.

I've always enjoyed reading your reviews on Destructoid so I'm very glad to see I can continue to rely upon your point of view in the future here on the Escapist, Jim!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
wulf3n said:
artanis_neravar said:
wulf3n said:

2.5 out of 5?
50%?
The median?

... is below average?

1+2+3+4+5=15
15/5=3
3 is the average
Given that it's half point increments and starts at 0.5 it's more like:

0.5 + 1 + 1.5 + 2 + 2.5 + 3 + 3.5 + 4 + 4.5 + 5 = 27.5
27.5/10 = 2.75
2.75 is the average.
Yeah but having quarter stars would just be silly

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
Is there any game on the escapist right now with a 1 star or below rating?
Even Duke Nukem Forever got two stars, and I can't find reviews for any of the more notorious stinkers.
The one thing that metacritic does really well is compile data. According to metacritic's database for the escapist, I see two games that got 1 star, some game called "Impire", and some game called "Fray". According to metacritics data the escapists average review score is a 75 (3.75 stars). http://www.metacritic.com/publication/the-escapist?filter=games&sort_options=critic_score&num_items=30.

This is the only reason I don't like when we say some star value or score value is called "average", cause when I think of average, I think of the mean score or all games, but they just mean average in quality, such as the game is mediocre, or I guess they just mean the average star value that it possible (so 2.75).