What PC sandbox games allow players to create and evil empire or destroy the world?

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
You're looking for Black and White series, Total War series, and Mount and Blade: Warband. I know they have been mentioned here before, but I thought another vote to these games is warranted.

If you have never played any of the Total War games, I highly suggest you start with Medieval 2: Total War.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Y2N1-09631 said:
It would be great if there was a Minecraft "try to ruin everyone else's life" server...
I consider any server with Thaumcraft on it to be basically that (unless configured to take the teeth out of that mod).

It's so easy to turn the entire world into one big tainted wasteland ... and that's before you actually go and try to do it on purpose.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Fallout New Vegas lets you murder anybody you want and take control of the Mojave through blackmail and conquest, as well as liberal use of nuclear warheads in Lonesome Road.

Total War: Attila lets you annihilate entire countries and raze europe to the ground.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Y2N1-09631 said:
Planetary Annihilation looks very good. It's almost exactly what I'm looking for.
Ehhh, I guess if conquering the galaxy is what you want yeah, but just know galactic war (single-player mode) is ultimately just a glorified scenario mode against the AI; not really any story at all and best you can do is pretend to be an evil empire taking out all these other good factions. You can literally destroy world's though which is fun, but its a long winded process every time and is only super cool for the first time, after that its just meh really.

Black and White I recommend, it was hilarious doing evil things to your people only to later see your pet (you get to pick a pet who ends up growing as tall as a skyscraper) do the same or even worse things since it was observing you the whole time. Also in number 2 you had the choice between taking over other lands through peace or just building a huge army and having them murder and pillage while you chuck fireballs at peasants.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Planetary Annihilation looks very good. It's almost exactly what I'm looking for.
How? There is literally no empire building in that at all.

There's not even any humans, everything in the game is a robot.

It isn't a sandbox either, it's an RTS game.
What do you mean no empire building? You can build factories and an army.

I never asked for humans in the game.

Yes, it's unfortunately not much of a sandbox, but you still can have complete control over what and where you build, and you can destroy worlds, which is pretty much good enough for me.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
It would be great if there was a Minecraft "try to ruin everyone else's life" server...
I consider any server with Thaumcraft on it to be basically that (unless configured to take the teeth out of that mod).

It's so easy to turn the entire world into one big tainted wasteland ... and that's before you actually go and try to do it on purpose.
The entire world? All 900000000 square kilometers of it? Sounds improbable...

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

Once the world is contaminated enough that Taint spreads faster than you can possibly gather the materials to research and build counter-measures and whoever is doing it has the right set of tools all ready to go to make it even worse, yes, it's the entire world. One loaded chunk at a time.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'd probably say the closest would be Planetary Annihilation since you can build and fortify an empire with your base, occupy multiple planets and control the sky,sea,land and space of the planets along with being able to smash moons into them and even use a giant death star like planet laser on them.

Plus it's the only RTS of it's kind where it has planets to occupy instead of a single flatline map like every other RTS game in existence.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

Once the world is contaminated enough that Taint spreads faster than you can possibly gather the materials to research and build counter-measures and whoever is doing it has the right set of tools all ready to go to make it even worse, yes, it's the entire world. One loaded chunk at a time.
I'm not knowledgeable on the plugin, but couldn't players just outrun the Taint so that it stays in unloaded chunks?

Regardless, this still sounds interesting; thanks for suggesting it. Do you know of any good servers with Thaumcraft?

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

Yes, it's unfortunately not much of a sandbox, but you still can have complete control over what and where you build, and you can destroy worlds, which is pretty much good enough for me.
That's not empire building, that's a robot building automated factories to build a robot army.

There's no taxes, or politics, or diplomacy, or settlers, or civilian populations, or happiness to manage.

All there is are 2 to 8 of soulless automaton hell bent on annihilating each other through whatever means necessary. And that means is often through building even more robots to fight the other robots.

Machines dont have feelings. They dont feel pain. All they do is follow orders. You can't exactly be an evil empire if nobody is suffering under your rule, now can you?

Try looking into Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Endless Space and Endless Legend.
Those are real empire building games. And a number of factions in the latter two could definitely be described as evil, especially the Cravers, Necrophages and Cultists.
An empire is a group of peoples ruled over by an emperor. There are diverse robots that are ruled over, and robots are just as much people as AIs that are supposed to be humans in the game.

There are settlers, as you can settle other planets. The resources you get are essentially taxes.

Machine have just as much feeling as any other video game characters. After all, all a human is in a videogame is a robot with a different mesh.

In fact, there being no humans in the game is one of my favorite parts of it.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

I'm not knowledgeable on the plugin, but couldn't players just outrun the Taint so that it stays in unloaded chunks?

Regardless, this still sounds interesting; thanks for suggesting it. Do you know of any good servers with Thaumcraft?
Taint spawns naturally (it's a rare biome type and gets created by some random structures as well), so it's near impossible to find a place which doesn't include a tainted word part. And then the "evil" player can just either speed up the spread of it again or create new areas wholesome with relatively little effort. It's part of the balancing of the mod: Spreading the taint is supposed to be easier than fighting it. Best case scenario is that you manage to ward off and stabilise a small part of the word, at great effort in time and resources, and sit there while the whole world around you turns various shades of purple.

Thaumcraft itself is a part of many bigger mod packs, though often toned down a bit from the default configuration.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

That's not empire building, that's a robot building automated factories to build a robot army.

There's no taxes, or politics, or diplomacy, or settlers, or civilian populations, or happiness to manage.

All there is are 2 to 8 of soulless automaton hell bent on annihilating each other through whatever means necessary. And that means is often through building even more robots to fight the other robots.

Machines dont have feelings. They dont feel pain. All they do is follow orders. You can't exactly be an evil empire if nobody is suffering under your rule, now can you?

Try looking into Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Endless Space and Endless Legend.
Those are real empire building games. And a number of factions in the latter two could definitely be described as evil, especially the Cravers, Necrophages and Cultists.
An empire is a group of peoples ruled over by an emperor. There are diverse robots that are ruled over, and robots are just as much people as AIs that are supposed to be humans in the game.

There are settlers, as you can settle other planets. The resources you get are essentially taxes.

Machine have just as much feeling as any other video game characters. After all, all a human is in a videogame is a robot with a different mesh.

In fact, there being no humans in the game is one of my favorite parts of it.
Tell you what, show me any sign from withing the game itself that these robots are actually thinking feeling people as opposed to the mindless war machines I belive them to be after 30 hours of playtime in the game, and I'll concede that it's an evil empire game.
It's obvious that they think. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to walk to targets and shoot at enemies. Although as far as I know they don't feel, neither does any character in video games, so it would be a double standard to require ones in Planetary Annihilation to have feelings in order for the game to be an evil empire game while not requiring this for other games.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Not sure entirely how much of a literal empire you want, but if you play EVE Online you can get the worst people you can find together and create an empire of evil. People are more than willing to be evil and help your cause. They just want turn on you.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Akjosch said:
Y2N1-09631 said:

Taint spawns naturally (it's a rare biome type and gets created by some random structures as well), so it's near impossible to find a place which doesn't include a tainted word part. And then the "evil" player can just either speed up the spread of it again or create new areas wholesome with relatively little effort. It's part of the balancing of the mod: Spreading the taint is supposed to be easier than fighting it. Best case scenario is that you manage to ward off and stabilise a small part of the word, at great effort in time and resources, and sit there while the whole world around you turns various shades of purple.

Thaumcraft itself is a part of many bigger mod packs, though often toned down a bit from the default configuration.
I've been learning about Taint, and it doesn't seem that bad. It changes the colors of blocks and makes mobs stronger, but that seems about it. That doesn't really seem like destroying the world. Also, I still wouldn't be able to reach a sizable number of other players' bases, as players are extremely spread out.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
BodomBeachChild said:
Not sure entirely how much of a literal empire you want, but if you play EVE Online you can get the worst people you can find together and create an empire of evil. People are more than willing to be evil and help your cause. They just want turn on you.
What evil things can you do exactly?

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Y2N1-09631 said:
BodomBeachChild said:
What evil things can you do exactly?
Well, the game is notorious for large scale thefts, piracy, scamming, in-game assassinations, and other ill deeds. Just Google some events and you'll find fun stories.