What policies do you back that you believe would make things better in the USA

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It does when it reverberates through state finances resulting from banks having less access to capital and as such companies and consumers less access to credit(eg starting loans, mortgages etc) and pension funds losing value due to decreased stock prices. It would also make capital markets lose faith that the massive state debt bought by central banks will ever be repaid. Really though since the coronacrisis governments have dug themselves only deeper into the hole by making themselves wholly dependent on the capital markets.
You'd think the government had never raised taxes. It has, it will, and the economy won't fall over unless it is ridiculous.

Your argument is essentially that of the Laffer curve, through which Reagan and Trump argued tax cuts would increase government revenue through economic growth, except you're applying it the other way that tax hikes will slow growth and thus government revenue. Just as tax cuts failed to deliver sufficient growth to make good the losses of revenue, there's no reason to believe modest tax hikes will crush economic growth.

Yeah it's unfair because it's an additional tax that isn't evenly distributed. Companies have to pay...
Wealth taxes on people, not companies.

In the end, all money is owned by people (or in some cases trusts, although even then most trusts are providing income to people). Corporations should pay taxes because they are independent entities benefitting from government services, but provision of social services for the poor really needs to be taken from rich people.

I agree about corporate preference for the law state and decent legal infrastructure because it wants to know it's investments are secure during a dispute. Which is also why I said China continues to treat HK with comparative silk gloves because it doesn't want to scare away investors who us HK as a trading/insurance hub in the previous thread.
Silk gloves increasingly with leather hand guards and steel knuckle studs.

It's like China and the dollar. It's not in China's interest to bankrupt the U.S. economy but if it wanted to it could. The only real solution for governments to be less dependent on capital markets is to pay off their state debt but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Well, actually I will never see that happening.
How, pray, does China bankrupt the US economy financially?

The USA doesn't need China to service its debt at all (for all that China does service own a small proportion of US debt). It's got the whole of the rest of the world prepared to buy its government bonds, including its own financial market, which is the largest in the world. And it can always just nudge the Fed into printing money and buying its bonds if its really desperate.

China might be able to screw the US economy by refusing to export anything to it, but that's one hell of a bomb to China's economy, too.

I can tell you don't have experience managing companies b/c that is not how it works.
Given how much you're getting wrong, I'm not sure you have much experience of anything at all.

Increasing the taxes you propose only hurt small and middle companies that often have put private investments at stake to start a company. And like I said those are the ones already carrying the majority of the tax burden.
This is hard to take as arguing in good faith, considering I've been explicitly talking about ensuring major corporations pay their taxes like anyone else.

Nah, that is totally not what I wrote. I said the government should do more to address poverty and structural neglect of schools and poor communities. But throwing more and more money at the government isn't the answer because tremendous amounts are either lost in bureaucratic waste or the priorities are as such that the poor are simply of no concern.
If the government wants to improve schools and communities, it needs resources to do so. Realistically, that has to come from some form of taxation.

It the U.S. government for example didn't have the dumb idea to occupy Iraq with that same money it could have solved each and every social ill in the U.S. Increasing taxes isn't going to change USG's(or any government's) priorities.
The invasion of Iraq made no difference to funding of social services. It's not like the Republicans had plans to spend that money on social services and canned it for a military expedition. They just decided that they wanted to invade Iraq, and borrowed about 15% GDP from the markets to pay for it.

The point of this thread is to ask what policies could be enacted to make the USA better, and the population of the USA really do have the power, with appropriate campaigning, to achieve policy changes. Arguing that policy cannot be enacted isn't really interesting or useful.

Reactions: gorfias

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
-A maximum wage that is at most 10x higher than the lowest wage in a company, including the monetary value of benefits and other privileges in the total.

-Legalizing every single drug.

-Categorizing social media platforms that can be integral to employment as public utilities.

-Filling every single spot of open uninhabited desert with solar panels.

-More nuclear energy as opposed to fossil fuels.

-Teaching culinary literacy as schools. (It's easier to have more people eat healthy and be healthy if they actually know how to cook properly)

-Slavery reparations funded by n-word pass sale. You can buy your right to be able to say the N-word without being called racist for a tidy sum of $50.000 that will be given as reparations to all the black people here. That way everyone is happy, racists get to be racist and black people get money and I get my memes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I see that working. For example the British NHS is really careful with the taxpayer's money and keeps healthcare efficient and at moderate costs. It's sustainable with little in the way of the usual bureaucratic excess. I think it's a really good example for the kind of healthcare that would work in the U.S.
You have to keep in mind that any form of health care like that will have to deal with republicans trying to sabotage it. It doesn't really matter if its a popular system, they will still try to do it. We have seen them try to mess with social security for years and we currently see them doing the same to the post office.