What restores your faith in humanity?

Warpainter

Oct 12, 2011
Getting out getting drunk, being depressed because I had realized two hours earlier I was as broke as you can get (with beauraucracy screwing me over, delaying my pay) and as an indirect result get into a fight with my significant other in a graduation party. A ridiculous, senseless fight mostly due to fatigue and alcohol consumption.

Get home, angry, sad, pissed off, drunk and tired with no intention of calling or trying to sort things out, thinking I was right. Knowing she was about to travel to another city for a few days, it really sucked.

Three hours later, 6:30 in the morning, knowing she was about to depart 30 minutes later for her interview in the other city. I wake up in panick, run the 5 blocks and catch her just as she's about to leave, I hug her and wish her good luck and it's as if the evening before never happened, she was so happy to see me there.

To sum up it restores my faith in humanity that despite all the **** you have to deal with in life, work and in relationships, it's always worth it to love someone, and when you're tired, pissed off and worn down by external factors, is when you should really step back, understand how stupid you are and run those five blocks. And that we as people have the capability to remember what matters even in the middle of black pissy alchol infused rage at 6 in the morning says something about us.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I think I speak for most of us when I say J-pop, self-diagnosis and cat ears. Wonderful inventions.

Seriously? Acts of kindness and scientific progress. Not that I ever lost my faith in humanity to begin with. But those things tend to help when it flags.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
This, only slightly less arrogant sounding...
Well, I apologise if I come off as arrogant, but these threads and more importantly the use of the word faith in this context is becoming rather ubiquitous and it's starting to grate on me, thus my post my have been a little more acerbic than usual. Also:

chaosyoshimage said:
All of them, they all tried far too hard to appeal to the mainstream audience, yep, I sound like a total hipster (I probably am one, no matter how hard I try to fight it), but it's true. I can say the same about game devs, too, and in many cases film makers and TV shows. Eventually, they all sell-out...
I'm not sure where you get off accusing other people of arrogance when you spout shit like that.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Furioso said:
There are a pair of sand cranes that live in my sub division, they have lived their for years, they stay with the same mate for life, and at one point they had a kid, who grew up and flew away, (we assume, he was almost as big as the parents last time it was seen) a week ago, I saw them actually dancing in the rain, they would pick a worm out of the ground, fling it into the air, and jump at least 9 feet into the air to grab it, while spinning, it might not have actually been dancing but it made me smile, it's the little things that I appreciate
Had something similar, albeit the opposite direction. We had a pair of swans that lived in this swamp near my subdivision. The swamp is allegedly an old native american burial ground, so it won't experience development. One day I was outside, I think mowing the lawn, and I saw a group of people out near a street that goes by the swamp. They appeared to be looking at the road. I stopped mowing the lawn to see what the issue was (my first thought was an accident). the family heard the mower stop and went outside. We saw a swan walking, not flying, literally walking, in the middle of the road. My mom coaxed me to go back to mowing, mainly because she didn't want me to see the swan get hit by a car or something. The swan appeared to not notice the cars stopping for it, and some cars were honking their horns and revving around the bird. We looked up on the internet, and it turns out swans mate for life. When a swan loses its mate, they go through a deep depression. Turns out this one was experiencing that, as we never saw the pair again. The swan eventually took off, and that was that. Perhaps I could be mellow about it, but the fact that animals can care for their lovers that much...

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
chaosyoshimage said:
This, only slightly less arrogant sounding...
Well, I apologise if I come off as arrogant, but these threads and more importantly the use of the word faith in this context is becoming rather ubiquitous and it's starting to grate on me, thus my post my have been a little more acerbic than usual. Also:

chaosyoshimage said:
All of them, they all tried far too hard to appeal to the mainstream audience, yep, I sound like a total hipster (I probably am one, no matter how hard I try to fight it), but it's true. I can say the same about game devs, too, and in many cases film makers and TV shows. Eventually, they all sell-out...
I'm not sure where you get off accusing other people of arrogance when you spout shit like that.
Lol, I never said I wasn't arrogant. Besides, I don't really think that post was all that arrogant, more cynical than anything. I just feel that everybody sells out eventually and forgets why they wanted to do what they do. But that's off topic...

Anyway, I agree, the word "faith" annoys me as well.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
Lol, I never said I wasn't arrogant. Besides, I don't really think that post was all that arrogant, more cynical than anything.
Ah, in that case fair enough, I am fairly prone to cynicism. I do vehemently disagree with your stance that everyone sells out and I'm actually quite averse to the term 'sell out' in the first place, but let's not get into that. As you said, it's rather off topic.