What should I learn how to play on guitar next?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Triggr here. It's been like two years since I asked this last, so I thought I'd ask again and see what I get.

Alright. What should I learn how to play on guitar next? I'm look for anything challenging and recognizable.
I'm a fan of any lead part I play really fast (FCPREMIX, Snow Hey Oh, Every Breath You Take), but I still enjoy having a good song to strum along to too (every Modest Mouse song I know).
Please no Duke Nukem 3D themes or Free Bird (or Free Bird backwards).
In the words of Isaac Brock, "Life's too short to hear or play Free Bird."
I'd say every genre is open except Country and Heavy Metal--unless you think you have a really good suggestion.
FCPREMIX by The Fall of Troy
Woman by Wolfmother
Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother
Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
Every Breath You Take by The Police
Message in a Bottle by The Police
Under the Bridge by RHCP
Snow Hey Oh by RHCP
Dani California by RHCP
Johny B Goode by Chuck Berry
Devil In Disguise by Elvis
Float On by Modest Mouse
3rd Planet by Modest Mouse
Styrofoam Boots by Modest Mouse
Blame It On the Tetons by Modest Mouse
Bankrupt on Selling by Modest Mouse
Barracuda by Heart
Crazy On You by Heart
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
The Trooper by Iron Maiden
1985 by Bowling for Soup
Leila by Cream
Sunshine of your Love by Cream
Santeria by Sublime
(I know more I just can't remember right now.)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if it would actually be difficult and/or fun to play but I am seriously looking to get a guitar because I want to learn to play this song...(also, my first instrument of choice in drums aren't realistic in my apartment):

Freaking LOVE the guitar in this song.

Also, this one is fun in Rock Band so I assume that would translate because, again, I know absolutely nothing useful when it comes to guitars:

Last song (for now); see the above reason:

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Okay, if you want difficult, buy half a dozen effect peddles, and make some "Wall of Sound" Shoegaze atmosphere's.

Here's a good example.

Here's an example of a song in the genre.

Possibly the loudest Rock music to come out of Britain. A great Fusion of Noise Rock, and Dream Pop.

If you like what you hear, please join my group:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Group-That-Celebrates-Itself

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
tippy2k2 said:
I actually started learning Welcome Home a while ago, but never practiced it enough to get it down and remember it.
As for Wonderwall, I'm pretty sure they sell acoustic guitars with the manuscript for Wonderwall, because it seems like the one song every beginner knows. Thanks though.

Jazoni89 said:
That sounds cool. I've always wondered what foot peddles bands were using to make sounds like that. I can't really afford any new gear right now though. If you're looking for a band that does that really well, check out Orbs. They're really spacey with really good, kind of creepy lyrics. Or Fear Before the March of Flames, but they're a little heavier (some of the guys who were in Fear Before formed Orbs on the side).

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
It's a song even I can play, it's fun, and it's the White Stripes. Now all you need is someone to rhythmically bash on drums and you're set.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
As already mentioned, anything by the White Stripes is good. Here's a few suggestions:

Just Got Paid by ZZ Top
Bark at the Moon by Ozzy Osbourne
Enter Sandman by Metallica (amazingly easy but makes you sound talented as long as you don't just play the main riff over and over again)
Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin
Hurt by Johnny Cash (that is to say, his cover version)
Too Close and Up All Night by Alex Clare (if you're into that)
Thunderstruck by ACDC (hint: don't even try to pull off the intro by just tapping, that's just something angus did in the music video)
Literally anything else by ACDC because God bless them they write the easiest hard rock songs.

Also, one last tip:

Any dubstep or electronic song + pentatonic scale = fun.

That's all I got.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
SLAAAAYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!!!!

Ahem.

Maybe some Dire Straits? I find them boring as hell, but there's some interesting guitarwork on stuff like Sultans of Swing. Other than that, loads of Led Zep, Behind Blue Eyes by The Who is good tune to play, and old, Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac stuff like Black Magic Woman or Man of the World is fantastic. There's a great rock band called Rival Sons about these days, they've got a lot of Zep style songs that are a lot of fun to play.

I play a lot of old blues stuff like that with the guitarist that lives in the flat below me (I play bass personally), it's fun to jam to, especially because once you get to know then they're fairly easy to improvise over.

If you don't want to play a heap of blues (for shaaaaame!), how about some Sublime? Santeria is a great song.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Art of the Dress
or a True True friend

Although I guess if you want something really fast then some Dragonforce.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
"Blackbird" or "Dear Prudence" by the Beatles are always fun, as is "39" by Queen if you're looking for a good strummy tune. For a fastish lead bit, and by a band you already mentioned, "Message in a Bottle" or "Bring on the Night" by the Police. If you're up for a challenge (though speaking as someone who isn't very good at guitar, it might be easy for you), try "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix. It's a safe bet you've heard most of the ones I listed, so I'll just post the two that aren't ubiquitous.

Queen: 39

The Police: Bring on the Night

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
triggrhappy94 said:
Triggr here. It's been like two years since I asked this last, so I thought I'd ask again and see what I get.

Alright. What should I learn how to play on guitar next? I'm look for anything challenging and recognizable.
I'm a fan of any lead part I play really fast (FCPREMIX, Snow Hey Oh, Every Breath You Take), but I still enjoy having a good song to strum along to too (every Modest Mouse song I know).
Please no Duke Nukem 3D themes or Free Bird (or Free Bird backwards).
In the words of Isaac Brock, "Life's too short to hear or play Free Bird."
I'd say every genre is open except Country and Heavy Metal--unless you think you have a really good suggestion.
FCPREMIX by The Fall of Troy
Woman by Wolfmother
Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother
Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
Every Breath You Take by The Police
Message in a Bottle by The Police
Under the Bridge by RHCP
Snow Hey Oh by RHCP
Dani California by RHCP
Johny B Goode by Chuck Berry
Devil In Disguise by Elvis
Float On by Modest Mouse
3rd Planet by Modest Mouse
Styrofoam Boots by Modest Mouse
Blame It On the Tetons by Modest Mouse
Bankrupt on Selling by Modest Mouse
Barracuda by Heart
Crazy On You by Heart
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
The Trooper by Iron Maiden
1985 by Bowling for Soup
(I know more I just can't remember right now.)
Shit dude, that's a fine-ass list. I specifically dig the Chuck Berry.

This is the song that makes me want to learn the guitar. Hopefully you'll like it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I say Dance of Death by Iron Maiden!
Such an awesome song, my favorite is The Number of the Beast so that's a good choice too ;D

[Youtbe=lSHSUOZHXFc]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Raining Blood Smoke on the Water Stairway to Heaven

How about... 2 Minutes to Midnight/Curse of the Pharaohs/Swords & Tequila/Seek & Destroy? Classic riff that gets constantly re-used, and for good reason: it is awesome. If you already know The Trooper, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. :p

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
You should learn Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups:

Or learn 40 Days by blessthefall:

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
You seem to only play one or two kinds of songs. Not to be insulting but if you get out of your comfort zone it will make you a better guitarist.

That said

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
*Sets WMP to shuffle*
*Next song*

Megadeth - Back in the Day

Pretty cool intro riff. Go for it!

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Wait, you want to learn fast leads but you don't want metal?

Yeah... I'm of no help here then. Maybe Knights of Cydonia by Muse? Or any of their origin/absolution era stuff. Orrrr give some Hendrix a shot. Little wing is a fun one to learn.