What should win game of the year 2007

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Awesome games that I have been compelled to buy this year:
Halo 3-not GoTY material, but GoTY hype sadly
Orange Box-GoTY material, TF2 is the most fun 7 of my friends and I have had together...ever
Bioshock-Awesome game, Graphically most pleasing so far
Zelda Phantom Hourglass-surprisingly, second favorite zelda game ever (first is Ocarina of Time)

Most surprising, however, is that I look forward to Assassin's Creed with more anticipation than I've ever had for anything. The storyline, the historical background, the beauty of such a simple game, the lure of a sci-fi element...it's made it tough to wait for months, and now it's still a little under two weeks away.
Personal Choice for GotY-Undecided because of Q4 titles, but as of right now it's a toss up between Halo 3 and orange box, with Bioshock getting storyline and graphics awards.

Dark Wingstalker

Nov 2, 2007
Alex Karls said:
Dark Wingstalker said:
Halo 3 [the multiplayer really shines through for me, but the campaign is weak, in my opinion]

Lost planet: [old, coming out in january i believe, but still an instant classic in my opinion]
About Halo 3, I felt much the same, until I started my 2nd play through. The skulls, the campaign scoring, and the difficulty changes really made it work for me. I forgot how much effort Bungie puts into the design of the different difficulty levels. In terms of gameplay, playing any Halo game on Legendary is a completely different game from Heroic.

And for Lost Planet, that game lost my enthusiasm when I had to kill a mech by hand. The stumble mechanic just ruins that game, and at points makes it totally unplayable.

oh christ, yeah, i just remember trying to kill one of the bosses by hand, and the stumble mechanic...

man, now im enraged ;)

sumwar

Nov 6, 2007
Alex Karls said:
Dark Wingstalker said:
Halo 3 [the multiplayer really shines through for me, but the campaign is weak, in my opinion]

Lost planet: [old, coming out in january i believe, but still an instant classic in my opinion]
About Halo 3, I felt much the same, until I started my 2nd play through. The skulls, the campaign scoring, and the difficulty changes really made it work for me. I forgot how much effort Bungie puts into the design of the different difficulty levels. In terms of gameplay, playing any Halo game on Legendary is a completely different game from Heroic.

And for Lost Planet, that game lost my enthusiasm when I had to kill a mech by hand. The stumble mechanic just ruins that game, and at points makes it totally unplayable.
I love Halo 3 but I'd have to disagree with the difficulty settings in Halo 3 being good. I like the skulls but heroic/legendary just feels like they increased some numbers without thinking what should be increased by a certain amount instead of just multiplying their health/dmg/etc. Gears of War felt difficult for the right reasons as I went from casual to hardcore to insane. Legendary is a chore, insane feels difficult in a fun way.

modris

Jul 17, 2006
So far I'd say Portal. It's unique, flawlessly done, hilarious and easily one of the best games I've played in years. The only real competition I can see it having is Mass Effect (if they can live up to my expectations). I'm a sci-fi geek and if someone can finally give me the sort of open, customizable sci-fi experience I've wanted since I first started playing video games, I'd say they deserve game of the year.

FormanGreenman

Oct 31, 2007
I gotta say the Hype machine is getting more and more effective. I went right thru Halo 3 and Bioshock and the Orange Box. While Bioshock gave me some decent satisfaction on completing it, replaying it.. bah... just dont feel the need to run around in a swimming pool slapping freaks with a wrench. Halo 3 is just multiplayer for the Xbox... something the Consoles have been missing for a while. Halo 3 may just as well win thanks to the gazillions of Xbox360s that are out there.

I think the Orange Box should win. you got the deeoer multiplayer in TF2, the portal mind bending trickery and some progress in the HL2 story(excellent btw). All of it a quality production (not to mention the awesome chopped Dodge Charger).

Compare that to Halo 3. Multiplayer, crap single player story and stupid 'Flood' enemies. Its like being attacked by zillions of soggy paper bags with Rhubarb sticking out of it. One decent thing from Halo 3 is the gravity hammer. That is awesome.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
Bioshock should win. Now that the hype has died down (or rather gone over to Halo 3) the game can be seen as in it's proper light, which is still bloody damn good. (With the Orange Box taking second).

J

jt2002tj

Sep 7, 2007
modris said:
So far I'd say Portal. It's unique, flawlessly done, hilarious and easily one of the best games I've played in years. The only real competition I can see it having is Mass Effect (if they can live up to my expectations). I'm a sci-fi geek and if someone can finally give me the sort of open, customizable sci-fi experience I've wanted since I first started playing video games, I'd say they deserve game of the year.
i'm gonna have to agree. everything i've seen from mass effect screams classic.

then again, assassin's creed looks awfully good.