What Single Scene Killed an Otherwise Great Movie?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Thiel said:
Any kind of scene where there is violence against animals REALLY puts me off. One that comes to mind was a scene where an adorable kitten gets diced up in The Brothers Grimm. Up until that point I thought it had been an okay movie.

I know what some will say that it was just a cat and why didn't I get more upset at the humans being murdered. But frankly I like animals more than I like most people.
I'm somewhere near the opposite end of the spectrum. In films with battles and people riding horses, it always bothers me that no one aims for the horses. Horses are not particularly durable or clever, but are big and heavy. Even scaring someones horse in battle could cause them serious issues.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I'll, like other people here, mention Pacific Rim.
So, the movie gives us clear view of about 7 Jaegers (giant robots, for those who didn't watch it), but by the time the main plot kicks in only 4 are left. That's understandable, since other 3 were outdated or faulty. One of the 4 remaining Jaegers is one of the oldest, but that is obviously an unneccessary detail.

OK, those 4 are:
- Generic bot from USA;
- A cool futuristic mecha like ( but still relatively boring) robot from Australia;
- A HUGE TANK of a Jaeger that is so damn tough that it survived since the start of a Jaeger program and it has a goddamn nuclear reactor where it's head supposed to be. Oh, and it also has pneumatic punches;
- The most agile Jaeger in the movie, that is piloted by THREE people and has THREE arms, with each one of them able to transform into a freaking buzzsaw.

And now take a guess: which of the 4 ones are destroyed in action 4-5 minutes after their deployment? You are right! The tank and one with saws, the cool ones.

I understand, you needed to show how powerful USA bot is (because it's the one piloted by protagonists and because USA! USA!) and I understand about budget and about how hard it is to properly make even 1 CGI robot, even more so with 4, but still... Damnit.

Also, "trippy scary boat ride" scene from older WIlly Wonka movie.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
SKBPinkie said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Prometheus. I have NEVER thought of walking out of a theater out of anger for how stupid these top notch "scientist" acted. Who the fuck charts a damn cave system with drones and doesn't have the map as well. What type of biologist plays with some unknown alien like it's a dog. Hell the end scene with them running from the spaceship made no sense, at least Sharknado had the excuse for running away like that.
I'm not sure if Prometheus counts cause there was more than one scene that ruined it. ....Let's say a lot more than one scene.

OT: Same for me with Kingsmen. What a stupid note to end on. Completely agree with OP on that one.
First off, love the icon. Monster Hunter is top tits. Second, if you want me to pick a scene I can do that. The dude who map the cave and screamed about getting lost was when I almost walked out of the movie. They boiled down these super smart scientist into fucking idiots for the sake of plot. That's fine if it's like people who lack the skills of map making, but when the dude's one job is mapping a cave and he gets lost. Screw that movie.

And I do agree with you and OP, the Kingsman was fucking awesome. But that whole anal sex thing, it kinda ruined the movie to me.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Even more than the stupid CGI musical number in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi what almost ruined the movie in my opinion is the absurd replacement of Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's ghost by Hayden Christensen. It doesn't make any sense. Luke wouldn't know who that guy was and it's totally disrespectful to the original actor. Besides it brings back bad memories of the awful Star Wars prequels.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
pilouuuu said:
Even more than the stupid CGI musical number in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi what almost ruined the movie in my opinion is the absurd replacement of Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's ghost by Hayden Christensen. It doesn't make any sense. Luke wouldn't know who that guy was and it's totally disrespectful to the original actor. Besides it brings back bad memories of the awful Star Wars prequels.
Ugh that was literally the worst change to the original. It took me foever to find the original unchanged trilogy for my fiancee to watch before The Force Awakens, because I wasn't having that crap.