What Spiderman/Batman villian do you think can carry a film

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Not counting the characters who were well executed in film what characters from the Batman/Spiderman mythos do you think can carry a film.

For the Spider side
Tombstone: You can have the street angle similar to Kingpin but unlike the former I can actually believe Tombstone can overpower Spiderman the dude is basically an evil version of Luke Cage.

Beetle:Basically evil Ironman, he may not be all the charismatic but he does have a threatening presence and dangerous abilities

Mr Negative: Could be an interesting Dr Jerkall/Mr Hyde case where his personalities are conflicting with one another while having the ability to make his goons stronger.

Kraven the Hunter: Could be Predator 2 meets Most Dangerous Game meets Spiderman

Batman mythos

Mr Freeze: Dude needs a redemption after Batman and Robin

Hush: The book was fantastic.

Poison Ivy: See Mr Freeze

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Joker ofcourse. Really looking forward to Scorsese's noir/'the man who laughs' take on the character. So, wish granted I guess. :p

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I don't see Deadshot and Deathstroke in that posse of Batman villains.

Nor any other Suicide Squad characters not Joker and Harley.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I always found the batman villains much more layered than the spiderman ones. I suppose Carnage would be ok. But pretty much any batman villain except for the crap, not well known ones, would work.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Ras Al Gul would be a cool one, see how he came to power. From his earliest days etc, we'd see how his organization grew under him and what they did before Batman in great detail.

As for the Spider-Man villains? Maybe the Kingpin for similar reasons as my Ras one, but we've kinda got a bit of that with Netflix's Daredevil so make of that what you will.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:

Well, while Deathstroke has fought Batman often, he's mostly been a common archenemy of the Titans. (Or Teen Titans)

Not all of the Suicide Squad members are Batman bad guys as a lot of them are common B, C, D list villains as well as bad guys with other villains. Good example being Captain Boomerang as he is a Flash villain.

Plus that photo was based on the Arkham Asylum one.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Batman:
Catwoman? If it was more of an anti-hero sort of film. Robin Hood, with a PETA angle.

Bane: Considering he's actually suppose to be pretty smart, while also being physically powerful, I'd say it could work kind of like ScarFace with more action.

Poison Ivy/Harley: I don't think either could do a decent carry on their own, but a sort of buddy-villain film with Ivy being the smart evil-with-a-mission and Harley being the kind of dumb evil-only-if-it's-funny would work. A dark comedy.

Freeze: First 1/3 of film is him working WITH Bruce Wayne to prefect cryogenics to save his wife's life. Second 1/3 is him suffering from flying to high to the sun. Last 1/3 his Victor thinking Wayne or Batman killed his wife, 'marking to the sea' for revenge.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
SPIDERMAN:
-Mysterio (no superpowers, just a master illusionist who gets into goofy shit)
-Carnage (arguably the most powerful Spider-Man villain ever, pure evil and chaos personified)

BATMAN:
-Mr. Freeze (The Animated Series solidified his character and motivations into something iconic)
-Clayface (just an interesting villain, both in appearance, backstory, and powers)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I think there is a strong argument to be made in favour of Morpheus for a Spider-Man movie villain. The supernatural isn?t a common thread in superhero movies that I?m aware of

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
@ OP - Carry a film: does this mean a solo villain film or as the main baddie in a Spider-Man/Batman film? They'd be slightly different answers.

Solo:
Spider-Man: Mysterio basically already visually had a solo film by Christopher Nolan called Inception, so slight tweaks, he could basically be the central character in an Inception-like film which could be his origin story before he fights Spidey. (Or his prison after)

Batman: For the same reasons Scarecrow/Mad Hatter/Riddler/Doctor Hugo Strange... to varying degrees they're all mind-control (or had mind control/mind altering storylines in the past) Batman rogues who could basically be written into an Inception-like origin story.

Main Baddie:
Spider-Man: Mr Negative - I really liked him from Brand New Day

Batman: I'd like to see Lady Shiva and League of Shadows go after Batman and introduce the mute Cassandra Cain who reads body language because it's the only language she knows and later turns on her mother and father to side with Batman when she reads in his fighting style that he will not take the killing blow even when offered it (who can in the next movie become Batgirl).

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not very familiar with Spiderman's rogues gallery beyond the ones who've already been in movies but I had this premise for a Batman movie I recently came up with and I think it could potentially be very good.

So, my idea was: Let's go with clayface. Now, Clayface is a disgraced actor who, under some circumstances I'm not gonna reiterate, turned into a shapeshifting monster. And this, to me, connected to a bunch of potentially interesting approaches: For one, he's an actor and we're making a movie so it's an opportunity to take a more meta approach to the idea of film adaptions. A-and of course the death of Batman's parents that lead to him taking up vigilantism happened after they saw a movie in a theater. And that's where it all kinda connected: We're making a movie, our antagonist is an actor and our protagonist took up the cape after having seen a movie. There are sort of naturally occuring themes there that could be used to examine the idea cinematic Batman adaptions on a meta level.

So, Clayface, or Basil Karlo, if you wanna use his birthname was starring in monster movies in the source material. But let's ignore that and say that our Basil was starring, of course, in a well known superhero movie. In the comics what drove him over the edge was his most famous movie getting a remake, starring a different actor, we're gonna run with it. The hero he's played is getting a new movie where he's played by a different actor. An evil scientists gives him a serum that turns him into... well, Clayface, a shapeshifting monster made of clay. Now, bear with me, a man made of clay is conceptually rather close to that of the Golem from hebrew mythology so let's say that plays into it: He's being manipulated by the mad scientist to do his bidding, with promises that he can be a star again, that with his new powers he could play any role he ever wants and the only thing he needs to do is follow his orders.

But we do want to make Karlo a tragic character. After turning into Clayface and taking on various different identities he's coming closer and closer to losing his own identity. The actor is becoming fully assimilated by his roles, meanwhile the public is forgetting more and more about the real Basil Carlo, his old role now being more associated with the actor who was cast for the remake. Swearing revenge he goes on a killing spree of all the people involved with the movie. Batman, of course, trying to stop him. Now, Clayface was, of course the star of the movie he saw before his parents died (Yes, canon says it was a Zorro movie, again, let's take some liberties here) so trying to find the identity of the murderer means he has to retrace his own past. I'm thinking this version of Batman has been doing his thing for a while at this point. I wouldn't mind it being the Affleck one, actually. That could be an interesting way to reexamine previous cinematic incarnations of Batman. Let's say, young Bruce Wayne, still trying to figure out his identity relied strongly on absurd and extremely specific gadgets like the Adam West one. Slightly more experienced Batman employed theatrics like Burtons and Schumachers interpretation. Older Batman took up a more practical, tactical, almost militaristic approach like the one we saw in the Dark Knight movies. And current Batman is close to descending into the ruthlessness and paranoia the version we saw in Batman v Superman, but not quite there yet, not pushed over the edge by the arrival of Superman yet.

So, we have those two characters, protagonist and antagonist, struggling with the ambigouus nature of their own identity, headed for confrontation. That final confrontation, the climactic fight, would be in the very movie theater where it all began. Big action scene, Batman having to use the approaches of all of his previous incarnations to defeat Clayface. The cinema catches fire, as they fight, Batman manages to get out, Clayface, despite Batman trying to save him, dies, turning into a perfect clay statue, once again, one last time, taking the form of the man he used to be, Basil Karlo. Shot of the burned out theater, long, slow tracking shot through soot covered corridors, ending in a room with single role of film, that was, as if by magic, left intact. Zoom onto the label. Clear letters displaying the title

"Persona
by Ingmar Bergman"

roll credits.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I loved the more realistic version of Otto Octavius's Doctor Octopus in Spiderman 2.
Seeing that done in a show where he is constantly struggling with his inner demons released by the pure logic of programmed mechanical arms would be very interesting.

I wouldn't mind having those arms myself..being the Transhumanist that I am.

I'm not as up to date, or have gone as deep into the Batman villains that I can dredge up an equivalent version, but Tanis rendition of Mr Freeze sounds viable.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Not exactly clear if by 'carry' you mean get a solo film of their own or merely be the heavy in another Spidey/Batman film. I'll assume the latter since I would only nominate Venom or possibly Bane for the former, and it looks like one of those wishes has been granted.

Killer Croc. Not the monstrous cannibal from the Arkham series. He used to be merely driven by anger over people rejecting him for his skin condition. Used to be a big time wrestler too- 'the meanest dude in the wrestling federation', which is where he got the name from originally. Let's have the more sympathetic Croc from the TAS episode 'Sideshow'. Another TAS episode had him being played the fool for love by a female criminal, desperate to find someone who would accept him at last.

Adding cannibalism onto all this makes him scarier, but eliminates a lot of sympathy one might have had for him.

Scorpion. He's viewed as a joke villain now, perhaps the only person who ever got rejected by the Venom symbiote (not sure why since personality-wise, he's quite similar to Eddie Brock). This wasn't always the case, being specifically chosen for genetic splicing with scorpions because they prey on spiders. Like Venom, he gets powers similar and even superior to Peter's but lacks the strength of character to be responsible with them, so his life just gets worse and worse as he blames everyone but himself.

Eventually he starts losing himself to the predator insect within. Perhaps this could coincide with Spider-Man having the same thing happen to him (Man-Spider), showing how one eventually embraces those instincts and becomes a full-on monster while the other resists the urge and tries to find a cure even while Scorpion encourages his breakdown, since if Peter devolves it makes it more 'acceptable' for him to do the same.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Looking at Spidey's rogues gallery... doesn't he have a single female villain?

Samtemdo8 said:

Killer Croc, top left.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silver Sable, but I don't consider her distinctive or memorable enough to be considered for a movie role. Black Cat alternates depending on the writer.

The others are mainly distaff counterparts of better known villains, such as the symbiote offspring Scream, Calypso, or the woman who took over the role and technology of Dr. Octopus after the original's death.

Kendritch

Apr 22, 2018
I like the idea of Tombstone carrying a future Spider-Man film. The Spider-Man movies often had fantastical villains like Sandman or Venom starring as the main villain, but I feel like that's missing a significant part of the Spider-Man mythios, which is him fighting mobsters and gangsters.

I remember when he took on the Big Man and the Enforcers in the old days, and god, those were among some of the best stories out there written by Lee and Ditko (although it's mostly because it got Peter's circle of friends into interesting drama, like Betty Brant's husband). I like the idea of Spider-Man taking on non-powered or street-level gangsters because oftentimes, it can lead to interesting tactics and trickery on the gangsters' part, especially with villains like The Big Man, Tombstone, or Hammerhead involved. Most of them don't have the super strength or crazy powers other members of Spidey's rogue gallery have, so it can lead to Spidey being led into a trap. On the other hand, Spidey also gets to show off his detective skills when searching for these criminals. I remember times when the webslinger really had to use his head to track down the whereabouts of certain crooks, not to mention revealing the true identity of various unknowns.

In particular, rather than Tombstone, I would like to see Hammerhead going against Spidey. Hammerhead has always had that classic "Godfather-ish" mafia feel to his character, and I've always enjoyed that. While he's still a crook through and through, he's someone with more guts and even integrity than your average petty criminal, and that made him one of the more interesting villains because many of Spidey's enemies are either megalomaniacs (Mysterio), has an inferiority or superiority complex (Electro and Doc Ock, respectively), or are just plain insane (Carnage, and to some extent, Norman Osborn).

The problem with many Spider-Man (and superhero) films is too many villains, as we well know, but with Hammerhead or Tombstone carrying the film, not only could we get an interesting movie where Spidey plays detective in a detective noir sort of genre, we could also get to explore the villain's background and how he came to be who he is. I read the Hammerhead story in Amazing Spider-Man: Extra! #1, "Death of a Wise Guy", and I enjoyed learning about the brutal history that shaped his character as a child. Such character-building that places large emphasis on the villain can make for a very interesting character-study sort of film, though I'm not sure how Hammerhead's childhood can be explored in a film without out-of-place flashbacks like in the "Extra" comic I mentioned.

I'll name another Spider-Man villain: the Chameleon. It's about time that tricky little weasel makes an appearance on the big-screen. His ability to disguise himself as anyone has more than caused trouble for Spidey. Spider-Man literally got framed because of this guy, even going to jail, so Chameleon as a villain can definitely carry an entire film by wrecking havoc on not just Spider-Man, but his personal life (see the "Red-Headed Stranger" story arc in "The Amazing Spider-Man" comic). Tom Holland can get a chance to play a more aggressive Peter Parker as he does selfish things Peter usually wouldn't even imagine of doing.

Seconding Mr. Negative. If you've read "Dark Reign: Mister Negative", you'll know just how formidable this guy can be. His ability is that he could bring out the worst in someone, turning them evil. The greater the moral integrity of someone, the more evil they become. Spidey literally went on a killer rampage because of this guy, so it could make for yet another exploration of Peter's darker emotions beneath him (hopefully without the emo this time). The reason I would want this (in spite of Spider-Man 3's failure) is because in that comic, Spidey (after being corrupted) was shown to have grievances towards not just his own parents, but also his Uncle Ben and Aunt May. This could make for a nice moment where Peter later reflects on his feelings, wondering if those were his real thoughts or just the result of Mister Negative's powers. Again, it makes for a nice character-building movie, and a fitting darker, more personal sequel like many sequels usually are.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:

Samtemdo8 said:

Killer Croc, top left.
That I forgot, the guy in the movie looked nothing like a Killer Croc I imagined.

For all I know he was an Orc.