What state were you born in and live in now?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Something I'm starting to wonder is just where everyone on the forums comes from. Obviously this really only applies to Muricans, but if those that aren't U.S. want to chime in then feel free.

For myself, I was born in MO and while I've occasionally gone on vacations out of state, I've lived in MO all my life. Show me state, Midwesterner, and sufferer of inconsistent weather. How bout the rest of ya?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm from the country of Texas. I've lived here all my life. Will probably continue doing so, even though I would prefer a change in climate. If my career goes one way, I'm basically stuck here for the sake of surveying licenses. If it goes another, maybe after getting a few years of experience I can look more (inter)national in a job search.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm not from the USA, but anyway I was born in the state of Jalisco which is roughly towards the centre West of the country of México, as for where I live right now... Well to be honest I'd rather not disclose that, it's a fairly big city but I guess everyone that knows me will be somewhat aware that I tend to be fairly paranoid, so you know just in case any of you is crazy enough to track me down for whatever reason.

That being said I'm OK with mentioning all the States that I have lived in, considering that I've never really lived outside of México, but basically I've lived in Baja California North & South, Tamaulipas, Querétaro, Yucatán and Zacatecas, so you know basically all over the Country, I personally don't think of myself as Jalisquense either, especially since I didn't live there for too long, so I guess if people ask me where I'm form it's just like somewhere in México, where? It doesn't matter.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Born in: New South Wales

Live in: New South Wales (same house actually)

Born in: Queensland

Now live in: Queensland. But different town
Stay on your side of the border and I'll stay on mine. :p

(Yes, Covid reference.)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I was born in Devon, England and I now live in the neighbouring county Dorset. Apart from a short couple of stints working in the US, I've lived in the West Country for most of my life.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I was born in Columbus, Ohio (Buckeye state) lived there for the first 30 years of my life, then I moved to Fort Worth, Texas for my job in 2010. Job transferred me again to corporate in Plano, Texas in 2012; been here ever since. Texas, the state with its head so far up its own ass, it can taste the back of its own throat.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Texas, the state with its head so far up its own ass, it can taste the back of its own throat.
I thought that was California?

Like, obviously this is me looking in from the outside, but I've got the sense that Texas and California are kind of rivals? Like, California is hard blue, Texas is hard red, both have toyed with ideas of secession, and both are represented as models for economic development, albeit in different ways.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Like, obviously this is me looking in from the outside, but I've got the sense that Texas and California are kind of rivals? Like, California is hard blue, Texas is hard red, both have toyed with ideas of secession, and both are represented as models for economic development, albeit in different ways.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The difference is that one actually has to deal with the illegal immigrants the other thinks should freely come into the US.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't say they're rivals so much as they are polar opposites. They're both the extremes of the left and right wings, California being the former and Texas the latter. But with Texas being extremely conservative and full of itself, one can see how obnoxious it can be around here: "Everything's bigger in Texas," or bumper stickers of two pistols crossed or a canon with the caption "Come and Take it" because everyone knows 'the guverrment is comin' fer our gunz!' You can throw a rock in any cardinal direction, and it'll land on either the iconic lone star emblem or the shape of the state itself. "Texas" history is a separate class from general/world history in many schools. The Dallas Cowboys (North American football) credit themselves as "America's Team" despite being largely irrelevant for the better part of a couple decades (mind you, the league already has a team called the New England PATRIOTS who've gone to the Super Bowl 9 times in the past 20 years winning 6 of them, a stretch that fittingly started at the end of the 2001 season, the year the US was attacked on September 11th.) I could go on, but I'm pretty sure I'm being watched, and with a Hispanic last name, deportation over lack of Texas pride is a real risk...

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Born in Pennsylvania, USA but didn't live there long enough to remember it. I've visited the state once since then as a part of a Civil War Battlefield tour(Notably Gettysburg). Currently live in Oregon, USA, though spent a long stretch of my life in neighboring Washington.

Last edited:

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
UK based, born in Birmingham, now in Sheffield. Not quite the sizeable distance some of you have travelled, I admit

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Born in: New South Wales

Live in: New South Wales (same house actually)

Stay on your side of the border and I'll stay on mine. :p

(Yes, Covid reference.)
Same house? Jeez. I don't have any desire to go back to my childhood home

Also, thanks for being the buffer from Victorians. Your two little bombs you sent up via plane was not appreciated though. My assistant is currently being tested because she may have been near those two twats.

Reactions: Hawki

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Check underneath my profile picture.
But what about the weather? What about the scenery? The food?!

In order, ignorance and denial.
How unfortunate to have been born in Ignorance Canada. Can't imagine the difficulty in marketing that for tourists.

Note that I said refugees. See the different results by using a different term for the same people
I'm not a fan of playing musical chairs with word definitions myself. I come from the Show Me State, I like being straightforward.