What the Black Ops weapon list should have been

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Treyarch's weapons adviser should be shot.
Add an M1 or M2 Carbine and your list is complete.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Wrists said:
Saying Type 56 instead of AKM seems like a bit of a pointless exercise. Chinese ripoffs may be cheaper but they won't necessarily have replaced the real thing in professional armed forces....except, you know, China's armed forces.
.....the type 56 was more widely used than the AKM by the NVA/VC....which is what the whole discussion is on about.....you know.....incase you missed it...

TerribleAssassin said:
Take the Lee-Enfield, almost 100 years old and still trusted and sometimes used by the British Army. As well as a Bren Support Weapon.
Not still used today by the British Army, not since the late 50's. I think only Indian Police and some Asian rebels still use them on any scale now.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I would have liked to see the Springfield 1903 as a Sniper Rifle, Vietnam was the least time it was used for that purpose if I remember correctly.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Wadders said:
I like your list, all the anachronistic guns annoyed me a bit. Fair enough having a few in to spice things up a bit, but they should've done a bit more research.

I never really use all the fancy guns in MP anyway. I stick to the M14, FAL, Galil AK mostly, and use the AUG and PSG1 only as a guilty pleasure :p
"I would have loved to use the Tompson M1A1, but as long at I have the FAL I am a god!!!!"

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Kermi said:
SlainPwner666 said:
What I meant was that while it was possible to put the guns in, why? Hardly anyone would use them, as it is a good percentage of the Black Ops community just uses that goddamned AK74.

As I said before, it'd be pretty awesome to have a game mode where you could use WW2 era weapons, but throwing them in with the already overpowered hand cannons present? No thanks, I'll stick to the Commando m'self.
You can't really complain about the overusage of the AK74u while rocking the Commando. It's a wee bit hypocritical - the only difference between the two in terms of being overpowered is that you don't get the Commando until much later.
I'm not necessarily complaining, I don't particularly mind the AK74, tried it out once and didn't like it. What I'm saying is that having more weapons doesn't automatically equate into a funner game. As it is, I have yet to see anyone higher than a level 20 using a sniper rifle, or a shotgun other than the Spas 12 with suppressor. Almost all of the players I ran into were either using the AK74, the Galil, Famas, or Enfield. And the others were using an M60, Stoner 63, or Spas 12.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have more guns, but why would Treyarch go through the effort? That's the entire point I'm trying to make. Why would they go through the trouble of modeling, researching, and balancing all these new guns only to have them be used by a handful of players?

But I suppose since this list is completely hypothetical, might as well contribute instead of just stomping on toes.

I'd love to see the NVA get an entirely different set of killstreaks. Instead of calling in Napalm strikes and chopper gunners, why not allow them to dig spider holes and make punji pits? I think that'd be alot of fun, myself.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Death Machine should have been the final LMG you could have bought. Overpowered yes but no sprinting or jumping and then add no melee and less ammo and it would have been balanced. Everytime I finally got my grubby mits on it my connection died, the game ended or I dropped it by accident.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The more guns I see the better. This CoD had more guns than I can think of, the only problem is that there weren't enough shotguns, sniper rifles, and LMG's

Other than that. The game is fine in terms of weapons though.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
I agree totally. Some of the guns should not have even been considered by Treyarch. I mean the SPAS-12? According to wikipedia that was manufactured by Franchi S.p.A. from 1979 to 2000 and it's in a mission that takes place in or before '78. and WA 2000? Come on. Really?!

I don't get why people are thinking this game is modern. Missions range from the end of World War II to 1978.

blind_dead_mcjones said:
RAKtheUndead said:
lostzombies.com said:
The FN FAL makes sense to be in the game, given the time setting, and the fact that it was a mature weapon system with a lot of users. You could possibly justify the presence of a series of bolt-action rifles for the mooks - Lee-Enfields in particular, given the size of the British Empire and their presence in the Far East.

That said, your list is a lot more accurate and appropriate than the one actually in Black Ops.
quoted for truth, one thing that does not make sense to me was the inclusion of the FAMAS, PSG-1, G11 and AUG, considering they were made in the late 70's and cod:black ops is set during the 60's
As I wrote above in my post it goes much later than the 60's.

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
TylerC said:
I agree totally. Some of the guns should not have even been considered by Treyarch. I mean the SPAS-12? According to wikipedia that was manufactured by Franchi S.p.A. from 1979 to 2000 and it's in a mission that takes place in or before '78. and WA 2000? Come on. Really?!

I don't get why people are thinking this game is modern. Missions range from the end of World War II to 1978.

blind_dead_mcjones said:
RAKtheUndead said:
lostzombies.com said:
The FN FAL makes sense to be in the game, given the time setting, and the fact that it was a mature weapon system with a lot of users. You could possibly justify the presence of a series of bolt-action rifles for the mooks - Lee-Enfields in particular, given the size of the British Empire and their presence in the Far East.

That said, your list is a lot more accurate and appropriate than the one actually in Black Ops.
quoted for truth, one thing that does not make sense to me was the inclusion of the FAMAS, PSG-1, G11 and AUG, considering they were made in the late 70's and cod:black ops is set during the 60's
The version of the FAMAS seen in the game, I believe, was first manufactured in the 90s.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
TylerC said:
wait, how is that even possible considering the game ends on the day of kennedy's assassination (which was in 1963) or did they decide to move that forward by 10 years for sake of convenience?

and even then the Aug wasn't made until 1978, and the FAMAS came a couple of years after it

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
[
TerribleAssassin said:
Take the Lee-Enfield, almost 100 years old and still trusted and sometimes used by the British Army. As well as a Bren Support Weapon.
Not still used today by the British Army, not since the late 50's. I think only Indian Police and some Asian rebels still use them on any scale now.
Nope the Bren is mounted on some Troop Transport Vechicles if I remember correctly and the Enfield is used to train cadets on weapon safety and skills.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
SlainPwner666 said:
I'd love to see the NVA get an entirely different set of killstreaks. Instead of calling in Napalm strikes and chopper gunners, why not allow them to dig spider holes and make punji pits? I think that'd be alot of fun, myself.
Yes, and more yes.

I genuinely expected the game to have lush jungle MP maps where if you went prone you would be hidden / crouched behind taller would be hidden, and for there to be punji pits.

If anyone every played men of valor on xbox the MP on that had all of this, it was what got me first playing live, it was fantastic

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Geekosaurus said:
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
it may be a cop out, but call me insane to suggest it's a bit of 'Rule of cool'
No amount of cool-ruling can outweigh the idiocy of not realizing what the '74' in AK-74 stands for...
Oh, but you're forgetting that because it's a Black Ops game they have access to weapons that aren't yet available to everybody else. It's pathetic.
Agreed. No one cares. I would rather have historically inaccurate but badass guns than historically accurate heaps of shit. it's not a bloody simulator.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Geekosaurus said:
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
No amount of cool-ruling can outweigh the idiocy of not realizing what the '74' in AK-74 stands for...
Oh, but you're forgetting that because it's a Black Ops game they have access to weapons that aren't yet available to everybody else. It's pathetic.
Agreed. No one cares. I would rather have historically inaccurate but badass guns than historically accurate heaps of shit. it's not a bloody simulator.
Then why make the excuse? Just tell people the guns have been included because they're 'badass' in stead of making up bullshit excuses.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Geekosaurus said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Geekosaurus said:
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
Then why make the excuse? Just tell people the guns have been included because they're 'badass' in stead of making up bullshit excuses.
I'm really confused... Have I missed something or are you ragging on your own post?

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
"Take the Lee-Enfield, almost 100 years old and still trusted and sometimes used by the British Army. As well as a Bren Support Weapon.

Not still used today by the British Army, not since the late 50's. I think only Indian Police and some Asian rebels still use them on any scale now."

Canadian rangers use the lee enfeild, it's a good weapon. Also

"Oh, but you're forgetting that because it's a Black Ops game they have access to weapons that aren't yet available to everybody else. It's pathetic."

i think something like the 74 in Ak74 means that the weapon was finished being built in 1974, i don't care how sophisticated your military is, you can't have a gun before it has been finished, special forces in 1879 no matter how rich were not using miniguns, because they weren't invented yet.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
Geekosaurus said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Geekosaurus said:
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
I'm really confused... Have I missed something or are you ragging on your own post?
No. I'm saying that if Treyarch want to include weapons from the wrong time period then they should just admit they're doing because they think the guns are cool, and not create some pathetic excuse. I'm not against them including historically inaccurate guns, I'm against the coming up with stupid excuses. Keep up.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
TerribleAssassin said:
lostzombies.com said:
[
TerribleAssassin said:
Nope the Bren is mounted on some Troop Transport Vechicles if I remember correctly and the Enfield is used to train cadets on weapon safety and skills.
No the last time the Bren was used in any capacity was a modified 7.62 x 51 version during the Falklands. Bosnia is saw use but not in anything worth mentioning. GPMG replaced it over 30 years ago ona major scale and the Minimi in the 90's ended it's life for the British Army as anything but a stockpile filler.

Cadets (even the 16 year old ones) use the L85A1 (the first/shit version of the SA80) that has to be cocked after each shot.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Geekosaurus said:
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
Thing is for me, these 'badass' guns like the Enfield and famas are pretty shite. They look awful, sound awful and dont feel like a rugged nasty vietnam weapon (because they aren't)

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
Thing is for me, these 'badass' guns like the Enfield and famas are pretty shite. They look aweful, sound aweful and dont feel like a rugged nasty vietnam weapon (because they aren't)
Exactly - they're making up excuses to include rubbish weapons in their game!