What the eff, Dishonored? (No Spoilers}

woodaba

May 31, 2011
So, I just beat the game. It was awesome. Not without it's faults, but certainly a GOTY candidate. And, I attempted a Pacifist run the first time through. Unfortunately, it hit a snag. I did it. Every single mission has the "Didn't kill anyone" tick. And yet, no achievement. Is this a glitch? Am I not allowed to kill rats? Has anyone else had this problem?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Couldn't tell you. My pacifist run also hit a couple of snags.

1. My aim. Those muppets that carry fire bombs, a few times i'd shot tranq's at them just to hit the bomb and watch the guy I wanted to put to sleep turn into captain crispy.

2. Bad guys standing on balcony's, high ledge's, rooftops and other high up things while I have upgraded wind power. I just couldn't resist knocking them off the edge (had to resist the urge to type "blowing them off" then).

I then realised I can't play pacifist while their are funny ways to slaughter people.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Only on the third mission at the moment but I have found a few little niggles that bother me.

1. The line of sight of enemies seems to be a little too narrow as sometimes I sneak past one that really should have seen me. Also they don't seem to notice anything even slightly above head height.

2. I'm playing without objective markers and some objectives are can be impossible to work out without them.

On the first proper assassination mission where you can help save a good guard from being poisoned, if you knock him out in order to non-lethal the high overseer without the alarms going off you only get an updated objective to drop him off in a safe location. This turns out to be a trash bin outside but the objectives give no indication of that without the marker (although you may be able to drop him off in any bin but I am not sure).

3. I think I've had some achievements not unlock but I'm not really too concerned about that.

Aside from that I am enjoying the hell out of Dishonored.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Only on the third mission at the moment but I have found a few little niggles that bother me.

1. The line of sight of enemies seems to be a little too narrow as sometimes I sneak past one that really should have seen me. Also they don't seem to notice anything even slightly above head height.
I'd say that their line of site sometimes seems too weak, but their hearing is ridiculously good. I froze time, shot somebody with a dart and went to hide. They all went straight for where I was hidden.

The game was great fun, but the stealth mechanics are far too inconsistent.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Legion said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:

I'd say that their line of site sometimes seems too weak, but their hearing is ridiculously good. I froze time, shot somebody with a dart and went to hide. They all went straight for where I was hidden.

The game was great fun, but the stealth mechanics are far too inconsistent.
I understand the guards are alot more alert on harder difficulties but I've not heard anyone confirm that. But yeah their hearing is really good as I discovered to my dismay when being a little too hasty hiding a body >.<

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Yeah, this seems to be a bit of a snag with pacifist runs in general. You have to babysit the people you knock out to ensure they don't accidentally get killed by something else, because the game counts that as your fault. I was denied the Pacifist achievement in Human Revolution despite not killing anyone; I can only assume I accidentally knocked someone off a balcony to their death in Panchaea with the PEPS or something. I guess the 'Didn't Kill Anyone' tick and Pacifist achievement have different criteria for what counts as having 'killed' someone.

Paflick

May 26, 2011
Like others have said, there's a number of things that could have gone wrong. I myself lost a few pacifist runs to the people I knocked out getting eaten by rats. Was not a pretty sight. Along the same line, if you stick them on a ledge, they have a tendency to fall off.

Another thing I've heard, although not really experienced myself: if you get to the end of a mission, and replay it, it will not count the replay towards achievements. Once again, not sure if this is true, but it's what I've heard.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I saved the dude that was going to get poisoned then choked him out and that counted to his neice as me killing him. So maybe choking them out stops you getting the don't kill anyone achievement. I enjoy having a horde of rats far too much to try the pacifist run.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I completed the game without killing anyone as well, and I was denied the Clean Hands trophy. Not everyone seems to be getting snagged on it so I don't think it's impossachievable. But I was rather unhappy, to say the least. I'll come back to a pacifist run later. I'm gonna go kill shit this time.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I haven't played dishonored, but I feel your pain. First time through Deus Ex (the new one), I went for pacifist, killed no one, and I didn't get it. I mean, I guess I must've killed someone, but it still pissed me off.

It's rough being screwed like that. Really, I wish games would give you a bit of a safe zone, you know? Like, 0-2 kills and you get it. Hell, even 0-1, because I'm pretty damn sure I know what got me. It's like going for all the collectibles only to find you missed one somewhere, and have to go back through level select until you find it. Or worse yet, start all over. I missed one collectible in Rage, realized I couldn't go back for it, and then I... "Rage" quit. To be fair, I was having a lukewarm experience thus far, and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I gave the guy the overdose of morphine that he wanted. People say this didn't count, but that's the only time I remember killing someone.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
nikki191 said:
Total LOLige said:
I saved the dude that was going to get poisoned then choked him out and that counted to his neice as me killing him. So maybe choking them out stops you getting the don't kill anyone achievement. I enjoy having a horde of rats far too much to try the pacifist run.
you then have to take his unconscious body to a "safe area"
Oh right thanks. That does make sense now that I think about it.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
... So a pacifist playthrough isn't a pacifist playthrough unless you get a shiny achievement for it?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
one of the reasons people have not been getting the pacifist run, is that the game will count it as your kill if an unconscious person is killed, which can just kind of happen if they arnt put into a safer place,(read that as bins) because i have actually seen a rat group eat a guard that was knocked out and that was the only death that level adn i didnt get the tick, it just seem sa bit fussy.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Tayh said:
... So a pacifist playthrough isn't a pacifist playthrough unless you get a shiny achievement for it?
Not murdering people should be its own reward.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I pretty much gave up on pacifism after realizing (belatedly) that dumping people in the sewer canals counted as killing them. Darn non-water-breathing thugs...

That said, my ensuing run was not as fun as I had hoped. My problem was that I have somewhat of a compulsive need to knock out every possible enemy in order to fully explore/loot areas, so I left the first four or five levels completely devoid of conscious suspects (aside from a few pockets of resistance). This was disturbingly easy due to the Blink/Dark Vision powers - and the fact that apparently guards can't see you if you're more than twelve feet away.

Oh, and at the end I
walked Havelock off the very top point of the lighthouse - you know, the one that seems custom-made for dramatic suicides? Didn't count as a death, oddly.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Tayh said:
But of course. The only reason I haven't gone on a killing spree IRL is that I want to get the achievement at the end of...er..life. Isn't that how everyone operates?

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
I was looking at my raptop account today, and someone had put up a note about that achievement/trophy. Don't know if it's true though, just finished the game once and killed quite a few people.

The guy said that apparently a pacifist playthrough fails if you knock out granny rags. Some report that even so much as picking up her cameo glitches the trophy. So basically you have to pickpocket her some way (apparently freezing time works) and leave, not disturbing those two in any way except stealing the key.

If you've already done the mission simply replaying it should be enough.