What the f is up with all of this My Little Pony crap?

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Shade184 said:
Who Dares Wins said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Its an epic show that nobody should miss, thats pretty much it.
Except those who don't have The Hub. QQ
That's what Youtube is for. :3

Everyone loves the ponies... everyone!

This day just keeps getting better and better. First I get a new job, and now this? Dude, you just made my freakin' day.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Korten12 said:
Radoh said:
El Poncho said:
Just watched the first episode... Fuck.
So then tell us, how does it feel?
I attempted to watch it, got to the opening song and closed it.
I know I've already used this image, but,

Yes, the opening isn't the best thing, but skip over it, it's around thirty seconds long.

OPEN THAT WINDOW BACK UP.
I will try, I guess...

May 5, 2010
Because the internet is a deeply, deeply retarded place, that's why.

I saw one episode against my better judgement. Didn't seem all that special to me. I mean, it seemed like a good kid's show, but nothing more. It's not like it's the only one out there.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
because its got an insane pink thing that will follow you around and make you feel bad

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
Full on Brony here.

It is a great show targeted at little girls.

However. The characters are adorable, the community is great, and the show is at times laugh out loud funny.

Also the show is INCREDIBLE for image macros and parody videos, which have undoubtedly helped spread it's popularity.

For Example:

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Worgen said:
because its got an insane pink thing that will follow you around and make you feel bad

Holy shit someone should make a PMV of Pinkie and that "I always feel like somebody's watching me" song! Juicy!

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Z of the Na said:
-Sniped with love-

Now, I just wanna say the hook for me was this

I think it was just those first two episdoes that hooked me. I'm sorry if you really think it's evil, but hey I enjoy the heck out of he show.

Lunamon: I saw Luna, and she looked so sad...all I wanted to do was give her a big hug.

Duncan Belfast

Oct 19, 2010
I think it's a good show. It's not for everyone (but then, what is? Other than air, water and food), but it has the (very realized) potential to be enjoyed by anyone.

Part of the enjoyment comes from the fact that the show is based on arguably the girliest franchise ever, and subverts nearly everything you would expect. I watched some of the older incarnations to gain some perspective, and needless to say, skepticism is very much justified. But when you expect this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pensivepony#p/u/26/FYe0TYn6bzk (Warning! Prolonged exposure may be hazardrous to your health)

And get this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnOrDKjTwQ

...any perspective you thought you had is completely shattered. "My Little Pony" is not supposed to kick ass. I should not be enjoying this. Ponies should be having tea parties and doing each other's hair, not finding artifacts to slay evil, kicking manticores in the face, and breaking the sound barrier. Everything I know is wrong. And I love it.

People love applying labels. You like something others like, you get labelled a sheep, Regardless of intentions. If you like things others don't, you get labelled a hipster, regardless of intentions. What strikes me is that Bronies are simultaneously labelled sheep and hipsters, which, as I understand, are polar opposites. Quite frankly, the needs to both fit in, and remain an individual, are part of what makes us human, and I don't think writing things off as "For hipsters" or "for sheep" is entirely fair. Now I remember where I was going with this. Enjoying ponies affords both a sense of individuality, and a sense of community.

There are those who feel that this whole thing is just a fad with no value behind it, but I don't buy that. The internet is not a schoolyard; (although you could be forgiven for confusing the two) you won't get beaten up for not playing Pokemon. Yes, following a trend means getting to be part of a group, but if you don't actually like what the group is into, you're not going to get much out of it, and there are plenty of groups out there dedicated to things you do enjoy. Kind of like how a Halo: Reach fan won't get much out of a MineCraft forum, or vise-versa, even though they're both very popular games.

Oh, and the show has good writing, well-rounded characters, fantastic animation, and although you can generally predict the endings, the actual execution still surprises me.

Man, I'm just in TL;DR mode today.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I never really notice them until threads like this pop up.

I smell a conspiracy! Or pony poop. Probably the poop.

The show is okay. It's not nearly as good as the Powerpuff Girls.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Korten12 said:
Watched the first and second episode, it was okay...
That's what they all say, then BAM. Gone for four days, watching all the episodes while blocking all outside communication so people don't question manliness.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
bdcjacko said:
Is it ironically fashionable or something? I'm seeing them everywhere and my old man brain is getting fuzzy.
ok, I don't care anymore
The meme was started, like all things, on 4chan. It was a joke to piss mods off because they started banning people for it. OFC, then some hipster on reddit discovered it misinterpreted it by missing the blatant sarcasm, like always, and posted it. It soon became a meme of people thinking they were being internet trendy or E-hip/funny by pretending to like such a bad show. They however, don't understand they are just being trolled.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
jpoon said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
jpoon said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
jpoon said:
Looks pretty stoopid...
Watch an episode.

Get hooked.

Join the herd.

Do it NAOW!

Noo, I can't do that I far too old to like this sort of silliness!

*secretly watching your link*
Join the herd. 125 members and growing.
No can do, I watched about 6 minutes of it but that's all I can handle before I wanna punch myself in the throat. 32 Year olds aren't supposed to be watching this, I'm supposed to be watching Adult Swim, not MLP's.
MLP is more smartly written than most of the drivel on Adult Swim.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Just watched the first episode.
*takes out a ceremonial knife*
Need I make a blood oath to this fandom? I'm willing to do it.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Mcface said:
bdcjacko said:
Is it ironically fashionable or something? I'm seeing them everywhere and my old man brain is getting fuzzy.
ok, I don't care anymore
The meme was started, like all things, on 4chan. It was a joke to piss mods off because they started banning people for it. OFC, then some hipster on reddit discovered it misinterpreted it by missing the blatant sarcasm, like always, and posted it. It soon became a meme of people thinking they were being internet trendy or E-hip/funny by pretending to like such a bad show. They however, don't understand they are just being trolled.
1) I said I don't care anymore.
2) just because it was a joke for a time doesn't mean the populace changed it to not a joke. 4chan is not the final word.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
There are a couple of things about it which are genuinely good and original.

The 'message' is genuinely very charming and well delivered, especially from a 'girls' cartoon. Most products and programming designed for young girls is still very much stuck in the relentless 'babies and princesses' mould of the 80s or the more recent 'shallow teenage stereotype' mould of Bratz and co. What's quite beautiful about this show is that it is incredibly girly, but each character is very different and they have things to do beyond sitting around breeding or bitching.

If I had a little girl right now, I wouldn't want her to believe she's going to grow up to be a princess or to learn how to idolize indolent teenage girl dramatics. This is literally the first 'girls' show I've seen which doesn't pander to one of those two, and for that it's worth celebrating.

That charm aside, the show is completely meta-aware that it's target audience is not just little girls. There are some episodes which deal with issues little girls are certainly not going to be aware of (the one with the fashion show being a prime example) by appealing to adult situations to which they can aspire. An 8 year old girl might fantasize about being a dressmaker, but anyone who has worked in a creative industry can relate to the situation being portrayed. First two episodes aside, the resolutions to each moral dilemma are generally pretty sophisticated and ethical, not just ultra-feminine 'be nice to everyone so everyone will be nice to you' shit.

For me though, it's the massively gay overtones of certain characters and situations. I seriously cannot believe that the creators are not aware of quite how much they're utilizing gay imagery and iconography in the show all the damn time, not judgementally but in a kind of playful, accepting way which many adult shows haven't got the hang of yet.