What the hell?

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
826
0
0
Post things that make no sense.


How in the hell does that happen? It looks like someone sliced off the back half but it just healed over. Zombie spider!

Or the Aztec gods designed the back half.

Shame it's a trapdoor spider so its most distinctive feature remains hidden.

Let us keep this a lighthearted thread pls :(.
 

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
2,240
270
88
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gender
Male
I hate to be that guy, but gotta call fake.

The "trigger warning" pretty much sells this as a video produced to trigger sufferers of Trypophobia. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen a still of this video looking through the thousands of images photoshopped specifically to affect people who suffer from this fear. The first part even appears to be appended to a video of a completely different spider in the second part (the spider in the second part is only partially visible and only in a handful of frames.

Btw, I didn't include a link to Trypophobia because its hard to search for a definition without pulling up a triggering photo. Its commonly described as a fear of holes. Its actually more of a fear of absence or corruption of something that should be whole. And even fear doesn't really describe it well. My symptoms are more like a fixation (I can't get the image out of my head for a while) and it... makes my teeth hurt. Like that feeling in your head you get from fingernails on a chalkboard. And yes, I've seen thousands of the photos... it helps me break the fixation through oversaturation. It also helps knowing that the photos are basically all fake. There are banner ads that use photos and videos like this to get clicks. It works. I've seen several here on the Escapist.

Just do a google image search for Trypophobia. That will be basically what you wanted from this thread. But the images are like 99.9% doctored specifically to trigger Trypophobics.

 

EscapistAccount

New member
Aug 18, 2017
91
0
0
Kyrian007 said:
I hate to be that guy, but gotta call fake.
What, the trapdoor spider with the flattened abdomen? No that's real, it uses the flat end to plug its burrow if it's being dug out or attacked, the rear end is very tough.
 

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
2,240
270
88
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gender
Male
EscapistAccount said:
Kyrian007 said:
I hate to be that guy, but gotta call fake.
What, the trapdoor spider with the flattened abdomen? No that's real, it uses the flat end to plug its burrow if it's being dug out or attacked, the rear end is very tough.
Hey, it is real. Neat. Its still in the less than 1% of those photos that are, because it without a doubt triggers Trypophobia.
 
Apr 11, 2020
278
47
33
Kyrian007 said:
Btw, I didn't include a link to Trypophobia because its hard to search for a definition without pulling up a triggering photo. Its commonly described as a fear of holes. Its actually more of a fear of absence or corruption of something that should be whole. And even fear doesn't really describe it well. My symptoms are more like a fixation (I can't get the image out of my head for a while) and it... makes my teeth hurt. Like that feeling in your head you get from fingernails on a chalkboard. And yes, I've seen thousands of the photos... it helps me break the fixation through oversaturation. It also helps knowing that the photos are basically all fake. There are banner ads that use photos and videos like this to get clicks. It works. I've seen several here on the Escapist.
Whatever you do, do not google mango worms. Actually, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all. However, I think it is a possible explanation for trypophobia, with skinborne illnesses with maggots and whatnot.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Well...Cyriak, for one. Just look him up. You'll see.[footnote]Yes, it's safe...ish. It's just very weird.[/footnote]
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
If OP wants a thread full of nonsense, why dont they post it in the Wild West?
 

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
344
0
0
Kyrian007 said:
I hate to be that guy, but gotta call fake.

The "trigger warning" pretty much sells this as a video produced to trigger sufferers of Trypophobia. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen a still of this video looking through the thousands of images photoshopped specifically to affect people who suffer from this fear. The first part even appears to be appended to a video of a completely different spider in the second part (the spider in the second part is only partially visible and only in a handful of frames.

Btw, I didn't include a link to Trypophobia because its hard to search for a definition without pulling up a triggering photo. Its commonly described as a fear of holes. Its actually more of a fear of absence or corruption of something that should be whole. And even fear doesn't really describe it well. My symptoms are more like a fixation (I can't get the image out of my head for a while) and it... makes my teeth hurt. Like that feeling in your head you get from fingernails on a chalkboard. And yes, I've seen thousands of the photos... it helps me break the fixation through oversaturation. It also helps knowing that the photos are basically all fake. There are banner ads that use photos and videos like this to get clicks. It works. I've seen several here on the Escapist.

Just do a google image search for Trypophobia. That will be basically what you wanted from this thread. But the images are like 99.9% doctored specifically to trigger Trypophobics.


I did not know that was even a thing, and now I kinda wish I was still ignorant of it. Just looking at that picture gave me all kinds of weird tingeling in my body, and not the good kind. Can't say I felt any kind of fear but it definitely made me feel weird. Then I did the dumb thing of using google and my scalp bloody itches now.
 

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
862
0
0
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Post things that make no sense.


How in the hell does that happen? It looks like someone sliced off the back half but it just healed over. Zombie spider!

Or the Aztec gods designed the back half.

Shame it's a trapdoor spider so its most distinctive feature remains hidden.

Let us keep this a lighthearted thread pls :(.
"you know what'd be awesome? If I could use my arse as a signet ring. That would be awesome."

Somewhere there's a frustrated arachnid body modification artist who's sick of evolution getting all the cred for his cutting edge work.
 

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
826
0
0
gigastar said:
If OP wants a thread full of nonsense, why dont they post it in the Wild West?
Eh, WW has the same jokes and fights over and over again in every thread. I was looking for varied and serious(ish) submissions.

Kyrian007 said:
It's not a still though, it's a video. The spider is called Cyclocosmia or colloquially the Chinese Hourglass Spider. [https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chinese+hourglass+spider&oq=chinese+hourglass+spider&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j0l5.4087j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8]
 

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
2,930
643
118
Country
USA
Gender
Male
Well...ok. Just remember, you asked for this. Just remember, this was an actual ad.


And now for something completely different: A not so uneventful day on the streets.

 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
7,220
2,034
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Asita said:
Well...ok. Just remember, you asked for this. Just remember, this was an actual ad.

I don't normal say this about ads, but that ad was awesome. Hate chocolate so it didn't make a difference. But still awesome
 

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
May 3, 2020
1,620
81
33
Country
Free-Dom
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Post things that make no sense.


How in the hell does that happen? It looks like someone sliced off the back half but it just healed over. Zombie spider!

Or the Aztec gods designed the back half.

Shame it's a trapdoor spider so its most distinctive feature remains hidden.

Let us keep this a lighthearted thread pls :(.
That one horrible fear of holes.

I have that now.

Thank you.
 

JohnnyDelRay

New member
Jul 29, 2010
1,322
0
0
I don said:
Kyrian007 said:
Btw, I didn't include a link to Trypophobia because its hard to search for a definition without pulling up a triggering photo. Its commonly described as a fear of holes. Its actually more of a fear of absence or corruption of something that should be whole. And even fear doesn't really describe it well. My symptoms are more like a fixation (I can't get the image out of my head for a while) and it... makes my teeth hurt. Like that feeling in your head you get from fingernails on a chalkboard. And yes, I've seen thousands of the photos... it helps me break the fixation through oversaturation. It also helps knowing that the photos are basically all fake. There are banner ads that use photos and videos like this to get clicks. It works. I've seen several here on the Escapist.
Whatever you do, do not google mango worms. Actually, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all. However, I think it is a possible explanation for trypophobia, with skinborne illnesses with maggots and whatnot.
Holy shit, why did I do that. I don't have trypophobia, which is probably bad because it made the videos I watched somehow mesmerizing. I can't believe they can just be squeezed out, not hanging on with any barbs or stingers or anything. The video actually sat with me for quite awhile, to the point where I wonder if those worms could be a delicacy (in australia I've seen a few people eating various grubs, and street food in some south east asian countries larvae are fried). My wife couldn't handle it though, she actually ran away from the computer and stood in the corner of the room for a while with the craziest look on her face haha, she's quite the animal sympathizer too.
 

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
658
0
0
JohnnyDelRay said:
Holy shit, why did I do that. I don't have trypophobia, which is probably bad because it made the videos I watched somehow mesmerizing. I can't believe they can just be squeezed out, not hanging on with any barbs or stingers or anything. The video actually sat with me for quite awhile, to the point where I wonder if those worms could be a delicacy (in australia I've seen a few people eating various grubs, and street food in some south east asian countries larvae are fried). My wife couldn't handle it though, she actually ran away from the computer and stood in the corner of the room for a while with the craziest look on her face haha, she's quite the animal sympathizer too.
Those worms were fucking gross and I watched way too many of those videos than is healthy. So glad that North America doesn't have anything like that. I guess we have bubonic plague squirrels and sixty different flavors of wasp (including the big fuck-off tarantula hawk) to make up for the lack of hideous fucking parasite flies.