WHAT THE ROYAL FUCK LEGENDARY!?

Almack

May 1, 2012
The frustration or at least my frustration stems from the fact that this is the second comic con where they have shown godzilla stuff and us non comic con people are left twisting in the wind wondering when it's going to be our turn to see something not to mention they said they where going to unveil the Bandai godzilla toy giving us our first look at him AND it turned out to again be only for comic con people and they aren't even allowed to take a picture of the damn thing sooooo yea its just frustrating.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
shrekfan246 said:
(and by that token I really don't understand why everyone bashes Godzilla 1998)
Godzilla movies are largely what one would call a guilty pleasure. They're silly and most of the fanbase seems to know that. Trying to steep excessive drama into the US version hurt it. It's a kaiju movie. It doesn't need excessive plot or Matthew Broderick. It just needs big stompy monsters and a lot of destruction.
Yeah, I can understand that.

I'll put it down to the fact that I largely don't get upset by the use of a franchise's name on a piece of work that could've been its own separate thing were it not trying to use a brand name to drum up attention.

Well, I was also rather young at the time too. I'd seen many of the older Godzilla films long before Godzilla '98, but it wasn't anything special to me. I view it in the same light as I do Star Wars Episode II and III; The drama is pretty terrible, but the action makes up for it in my eye.

I suppose it just staggers me how negative the comments tend to be in relation to it.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Furbyz said:
shrekfan246 said:
It's not like the classic Godzilla films were anything more than silly weekend popcorn flicks in the first place (and by that token I really don't understand why everyone bashes Godzilla 1998), so expecting this to be some sort of amazing revolutionary film that reinvigorates the franchise and brings Godzilla back to the mainstream is... probably going to leave you feeling incredibly disappointed.
I'm going to take a guess and say you've never seen the original 1954 Godzilla as it was originally cut in Japan. The film that you'd be hard pressed to not find on any Top 100 Films of World Cinema list (Currently #31 on Empire's). The film about the dangers of nuclear weapons made by the only people they have ever been used against not a decade after Hiroshima. It was all originally a nuclear parable and deadly serious, but it also showed everyone that giant monsters are awesome, spawning the much more familiar loveable green Godzilla.

I agree with you about silly popcorn flicks for every single other one. Even the American recut of this same film to some degree. I first saw the American version when I was 9, and the whole time I couldn't figure out why this Japanese movie was all about this American guy.
Well, you've got me there, considering I live in America and never actually knew it had two different cuts.

I did know Godzilla was originally meant to be a metaphor about nuclear weapons, but let's be honest, that's not really what he's famous for anymore.
I know. My professor was once taking suggestions for classic foreign films a few years ago. I suggested Godzillla, and she thought I was joking. Then I had to sit her down and learn her something. It just annoys me that all the other movies, as much as I liked them, completely overshadow the memory of the original.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Firstly: OP, what does Pacific Rim have to do with anything?
Secondly: I'm interested in this film. The only other Godzilla film I've seen is the 1998, and (as someone who's only seen that one) I actually really enjoyed it.
But why do we need to see a trailer? We kinda know the drill now, as I've said I've only seen one and I know what happens so there's no need to get agitated. It's not my most anticipated film ever but I'll see it when I see it I guess.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
You... didn't get to see a movie trailer?
Forsooth, this is truly a tragedy worth ranting about.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
Firstly: OP, what does Pacific Rim have to do with anything?
Secondly: I'm interested in this film. The only other Godzilla film I've seen is the 1998, and (as someone who's only seen that one) I actually really enjoyed it.
But why do we need to see a trailer? We kinda know the drill now, as I've said I've only seen one and I know what happens so there's no need to get agitated. It's not my most anticipated film ever but I'll see it when I see it I guess.
I think he mentioned Pacific Rim because it was also made by Legendary.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Dude, I'm annoyed as well, but I'm not going to rant and rave about it. You act like without a trailer you're going to have no idea what the movie is like until it comes out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
I suppose it just staggers me how negative the comments tend to be in relation to it.
Matthew Broderick brings out the worst in some people. >.>

I don't know. I watched Godzilla once, thought "that was bad," and never bothered with a second viewing, so I'm with you on that one. On the other hand, I do occasionally rant about the SW prequels...Though I actually liked the third.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
ninjaRiv said:
cojo965 said:
ninjaRiv said:
cojo965 said:
Because they pulled the same thing at last year's Comic Con, they showed a trailer at their panel and the general public still has yet to see it. To tell the truth though, while I knew about the comics, I forgot about them at the time of writing, but then I don't really read comics so can you blame me? I have actually since calmed down after seeing another video that pointed out that Legendary never said anything about a trailer and suddenly everything made sense. It still seems like bullshit to me that they were pushing this movie so hard online and then not have anything for the internet goers who couldn't be there.

Captcha is apparently a Gamera fan: I like turtles.
I haven't read any Godzilla comics but I heard they're very good. You might want to check them out. I know Eric Powell has done covers for them and he's one of many huge Godzilla fans in the industry. Comics is a safe place for the likes of Godzilla, from what I can tell.

Good that you've taken a step back like that. I understand the passion for a franchise that means a lot, especially when it's been mistreated but information is very valuable, especially when you're running on pure passion and rage! lol
Amen to that. On a semi-related note though, didn't Pacific Rim's trailer just sort of turn up one day? Just a random thought.
That's a good point, it did seem to come out of nowhere but marketing isn't always sensible. Pacific Rim did it right, as far as I can tell. Legendary might just be doing it in a way that they think will build the most hype. Or it could be an awful film.
Yes it did do that right. It seems with Godzilla 2014 though that Legendary adopted the "shut up for months on end, then when something does come up and we are on a hype pedestal, they kick it away." To tell the truth, this is a key tactic to get people to see shitty movies, which begs the question, "what are they hiding?"