What Turns You Off Bands, Non-Musicwise?

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
If I can't stand the singers voice, I can't stand the band. This pretty much throws scremo out the window.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
A terrible name or logo. I'm not sure about whether or not I want to start listening to Five Finger Death Punch, for example, because I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having that name in my library. Similarly, Papa Roach and their logo puts me off somewhat.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
The only thing that, besides the music, that turns me off is the fans and those who have to tell us how much they dislike a certain band and why. Youtube comments, and here too, sometimes.

Really, the only thing I'm interested in is "hey, if you like "band a", you might like "band b", they're pretty awesome too". Other than that... shut the hell up.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Nothing really. Appearance doesn't really mean anything to me. It's all in the way they sound and the message they try to get across in their songs.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Marter said:
Nothing really. Appearance doesn't really mean anything to me. It's all in the way they sound and the message they try to get across in their songs.

I'm not really involved with bands, if I like their music, great. I really wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of any particular artist or genre. I listen to what I want to listen to at that moment. If they make a change I don't like I'm not going to be one of those people who constantly says "Old 's stuff was much better."

I know some people who get totally obsessed about every level of a band, the members and the motif. I just like to listen to the music.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
It's remarkably easy to turn me off a band without them ever needing to actually play anything - just make sure everyone in the band looks like a hipster. Interest instantly killed. This extends to album cover artwork, I can smell the hipster from a mile away and shun things accordingly.

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
Cakekey said:
Personally, it may be a band's fanbase. There are so many good artists who get bad reputations for their fans being, for the most part, morons. A fine example is Slipknot, whose fans enjoy showing off how "metal" they are by spending a lot on black clothes and piercings, cursing far more than anyone would ever need to, and spending a good deal of time with other people who do the exact same things. It' hard to convince someone that an artist is good when your fellow fans just act like idiots, insulting anyone with an actual opinion that's more than just blind, moronic love.
Well, can you really blame that on the band? I mean, does someone become a fan of Slipknot and goes on to be "metal" all of a sudden or the other way around? Or at the same time?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I can't really remember what band it is, but i see them a lot on Kerrang now and the singer has long blonde emo like hair and he looks like a twat. Plus i don't like their music.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
I often stop listening if a song is too over the top in promoting overtly sexual themes to the point of nausea, drinking alcohol, doing drugs, and/or being abusive to others. Nickelback comes to mind in all 4 categories. Many current rap songs as well, its really nothing like the early days of the genre.

I cannot stand country, too much content involving booze, 'love' and songs about being a bumpkin, it depresses me.

Also, if someone screams and has no variance in pitch and constantly screams the same note, I stop listening.

So it really depends on their style and lyrics I suppose.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
I don't even have to listen to the music to realize that I hate a band. All I need to know is the sorts of people who like their music to know that I'll hate it.

For instance, if more than 40% of a band's fanbase looks like they just walked out of a "vintage" clothing/pre-owned vegan dildo store, chances are I will hate said band.

Jumping_Over_Fences

Apr 15, 2009
As long as their music is good, that is all that matters. Of course if I hate the band, their personal ideals will be subjected to ridicule, but other than that I don't care.

I hate the whole straight edge movement (when did pussy change spellings), but I like some straight edge music. You can be Satanist, Christian, Vegan, Republican, Democrat, Gay, Straight, whatever, as long as you make good music, that is all I care about.

I think that we pay too much attention to the politics of bands and not enough to the music itself.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
Jumping_Over_Fences said:
As long as their music is good, that is all that matters. Of course if I hate the band, their personal ideals will be subjected to ridicule, but other than that I don't care.

I hate the whole straight edge movement (when did pussy change spellings), but I like some straight edge music. You can be Satanist, Christian, Vegan, Republican, Democrat, Gay, Straight, whatever, as long as you make good music, that is all I care about.

I think that we pay too much attention to the politics of bands and not enough to the music itself.
All I know is that I don't want to sit and be subject to a bunch of crap about "animal liberation" and "humyn rights" from some hairy-pitted ***** out of Portland, OR. Hippies can eat shit.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Not a lot will, really, as long as they don't look "Gangsta" or something. I will admit that GWAR isn't too appealing to me though.

Sprizmo

May 11, 2010
There's a lot of variables at work. There are certain bands that I used to like but their fans kind of ruin it for me, like Tool and Mindless Self Indulgence. At some point they become so popular and adored by so many douche bags who never really connect to the material like I had during the earlier years and it just ruins it for me. Like one time I went to a Tool concert and Mike Patton's band Tomahawk played a good set but was practically boo'd off the stage. I thought to myself "Damn these stupid Tool fans, they have no idea how influential and awesome Patton is, he's been ripped off by so many popular modern bands and gets no respect!"

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who think Lady Gaga is soooo talented... I went online and read her lyrics, and they are utter shite. There is no substance to them, not even a stylized lack of substance, its just slap dash nonsense!

Jumping_Over_Fences

Apr 15, 2009
Mr. In-between said:
Jumping_Over_Fences said:

All I know is that I don't want to sit and be subject to a bunch of crap about "animal liberation" and "humyn rights" from some hairy-pitted ***** out of Portland, OR. Hippies can eat shit.
Don't get me wrong, I fucking hate hippies. They have only made the idea of showering seem optional, made white people think dreads look cool on them, and convinced people that patchouli smells good. They are a sin against nature. However, if they make good music (they usually don't) I will listen.

The Dillinger Escape Plan is one of my favorite bands. PETA is one of my most hated organizations (boycott the circus? fuck you!). However, I will not stop listening to them just because they support, and have appeared in ads for, PETA

I also enjoy Rage Against the Machine, but I don't give two shits about their politics. I think they made good music.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I won't listen to a band/artist if they are vegans and/or supporters of PETA. And since Cattle Decapitation are both, and it blatantly shows in their music and album covers.

I looked at their discography, origins and what they did (after hearing their music) and did a heel face turn from kinda like to hate with all my heart.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
First and foremost, if I find out that the band members look like fucktards, it is very difficult for me to like them. Examples: Cradle of Filth, DevilDriver. I just really don't like the whole makeup, dress up, try to look scary thing. I'm here to listen to your music. I like pure appearences like with System of a Down and Lamb of God.

Also, if a band doesn't have much of a set logo or good looking album covers, I am instantly turned off. It just makes me think they are ammature. I've seen a lot of Microsoft-word esque logos and covers that look like they were made in 5 minutes. Yet again, Lamb of God has beautiful unique album covers and a signature logo that I instantly recognize.

And also, if the band name/song title is one of those ones that doesn't sound like a band name or song title. You know, retarded names like 3OH!3. Names that just beg for attention and so hipsters feel cool when they list their favorite bands. It sickens me.