What type of gamer annoys you most?

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
To me, it has to be the franchise killers.

By that, I mean those who gets so vocal about the latest installment in a certain franchise sucking, that they deal a great negative impact upon the sales.

The problem is that they think that the publisher/developer will now stop making sucky games of said beloved franchise, but alas they're wrong. In reality, the publishers will shut down the franchise, because they interpret it as consumers losing interest in it.

Look, here's the thing: Developers can't kill a franchise, only consumers can.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Console gamer's who ignore the fact that a pc exclusive series going to consoles will almost inevitably make the games worse, And ignore the fact that many great games were lobotomized because they insist on playing games on a 7 year old toaster, And they just go, 'lalalalalala' Whenever someone says so, And then calls you elitist.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
There's one type of graphics whore who annoys me more than anything- the 'realism whore'. On top of your standard graphics whore, these are the people who refuse to play any game that isn't 'realistically' styled. No creative, cartoony or unique art-styles for these folks, it's all realism or nothing. "Oh, that game has more than 5 colours on the screen at any one time, must be a kids game". "That game is over 6 days old, the graphics are too bad for me to care about it." Well, sucks to be you, you creatively stifled fuck.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
A significant amount of people in this thread.

The kind of people who consider themselves superior to others just because they denounce certain stereotypically negative labels, like "hardcore gamers", or "graphic whores", or "console fanboys" or "PC elitists", or "the Sonic fandom" or "the JRPG fandom" or "pirates" or "retro gamers".

All of these communities can potentially behave in a negative way, like all people in general do, but it's painfully hypocritical to start seeing things into their behavior, to stereotype them all as haters who look down on "us normal people", and then look down on all of them for that. A console gamer who looks down on PC gamers because they are elitists, is not better than a PC gamer who looks down on console gamers because they are ignorant casuals.

The only exception is when you can actually define your criteria for hating people in a way that actually limits it to people who did something wrong.

E.g:

"I hate elitists"
- WRONG! Very few people actually subscribe to the ideology of elitism, that would be the belief that more /intelligent/experienced/educated/qualified people's opinion should be worth more than the general population's. And even if there are, that's actually a pretty interesting proposition on it's own.

- "I hate people who arbitarily consider themselves to be part of an elite, and look down on anyone who disagrees with them"
- RIGHT! Such people actually exist, and are common. Just take care not to be one of them.

"I hate the mysogynist sexists who explicitly say that gaming should primarily be a male hobby.
- RIGHT! Fuck mysogynists.

"I hate people who disagreed with me about the Tomb Raider trailer because they are all mysogynists"
- WRONG! People have different opinions from you. Try to listen to them.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Well there's multiple but my top three are

1. The Hypiacritical nostalgic fanboy (aka Movie Bob)
2. The Glorious PC gaming master race (who thinks that anyone who even has a console is beneath them)
3. The Corparate apologist who defends Shitty, anti-consumer friendly practices

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
I never said anything about anyone chastising me for my computer. (And it wouldn't bother me if I was. I'm never buying a mac again due to their overall shittiness in build quality, price, and durability, not because I'm "missing out" on PC games.) I have seen dozens upon dozens of threads across many sites pertaining the exact same situations I detailed - over and over and over again. One person does not form an overall generalized opinion, which is what this thread is devoted to. And if it bothers you, it's probably because it's a relatively reasonable assessment of many PC gamers out there. Not you necessarily, but the community at large.
I'm sorry I misinterpreted your point. . I read the wrong things into the post. And you are right, there are a lot of elitists amongst the PC crowd, and this thread is about generalization. I just thinks it's kinda of a bummer that you would generalize so far as to account for the PC-gaming crowd as a whole. For me, I try not to generalize too much, I still do it, but I try to put it more into individual actions, rather than "actions performed by group".

But oh well, agree to disagree?

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably metagamers, you know the types.

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Because fun sucks, am I right?
Because the only way to have fun is according to your definition, am I right?

On-topic: I'm irritated to hell and gone by pretentious snobs. It's a video game, champ. Get that stick out of your arse.

I'm also pretty pissed off at anybody who tells me I'm 'playing the game wrong' or I 'hate fun' when I have my own way of enjoying things, i.e. turning all the items and most of the stages off when I play Super Smash Bros.. Sorry that the thought of me enjoying myself offends you so much, junior.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

That's not metagaming. Metagaming is when someone is using knowledge outside of the individual game you're playing to win. This could include reading the dungeon master's guide out of character instead of making knowledge checks, looking at someone's previous strategies, or purposely losing a set number of games so you'll fall into a strategically advantageous tournament bracket.

What you're describing is a narrowing of the rules to make the game more focused on a specific set of skills.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Hardcore tryhards definitely, the /v/ crowd would probably fall under this classification but of course they're also mostly PC elitists who I also hate. Basically this is when you take a simple game of Team Deathmatch as seriously as a battle for the fate of the universe. "FUCKING CASUALS! Don't take that Sniper I looked up your K:D and you're shit with it!". I once was reading a CoD forum and I shit you not, heard about a guy who defriended his friend on X-box Live because he thought the way his friend was playing was lowering his Win/Loss Ratio (as in when they were in games together)to borrow a word from our British friends, what an absolute bell end.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
I hate gamers that are better than me!

On a more serious note however, I really hate the people online that constantly chat shit through their mics, I don't need to hear your high pitched screaming, breathing or you going "ahhhh" "shit" "ohhhh" and the rest of that crap! There is a reason why games have Push-To-Talk buttons, so that you don't have to keep making noise!

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Practically all of my friends play only Fifa...And that's all. Even another friend of mine (he's more diverse and plays other games such as Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs etc.) traded in ALL OF HIS GAMES to buy Fifa 13. All of them.

Now, they can play whatever games they like, but idiotic moves like that (it's probably pennies by now) piss me off, and practically every conversation I have with them winds down to what they did on Football Manager. They then turn around and call me gay when I talk about Final Fantasy or other games to some other friends.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Practically all of my friends play only Fifa...And that's all. Even another friend of mine (he's more diverse and plays other games such as Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs etc.) traded in ALL OF HIS GAMES to buy Fifa 13. All of them.

Now, they can play whatever games they like, but idiotic moves like that (it's probably pennies by now) piss me off, and practically every conversation I have with them winds down to what they did on Football Manager. They then turn around and call me gay when I talk about Final Fantasy or other games to some other friends.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
ToastiestZombie said:
What about formula one racing? That doesn't really require much physicality. Sure it requires a fuckton of skill, but not really extensive physical fitness.
What?? You should have said golf. (Note: I like golf too)

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/5298.html

Formula One drivers are some of the most highly conditioned athletes on earth, their bodies specifically adapted to the very exacting requirements of top-flight single-seater motor racing.

All drivers who enter Formula One need to undergo a period of conditioning to the physical demands of the sport: no other race series on earth requires so much of its drivers in terms of stamina and endurance. The vast loadings that Formula One cars are capable of creating, anything up to a sustained 3.5 g of cornering force, for example, means drivers have to be enormously strong to be able to last for full race distances. The extreme heat found in a Formula One cockpit, especially at the hotter rounds of the championship, also puts vast strain on the body: drivers can sweat off anything up to 3kg of their body weight during the course of a race.
Anyway, I think e-sports are legit. If chess is a sport, so can be video games, under the requirement of being competitive against other people and requiring skill to win.

*ahem* The type of gamer I find most annoying... hrmm... probably the people that think whatever they like/don't like is the way it should be for everyone. Example being most people in this thread. Complaining about meta-gamers... really? Maybe they find that fun. Back when I played WoW, I loved figuring out how to optimally equip and spec my characters. I wasn't a spreadsheet junkie, but I'd aim for certain goals. That was fun.

I also kind of like whiners. On PC and PS3 I don't really hear a lot of people on VoIP, but the whiner people are easy to troll. Same goes for campers. What do you have against campers? If they find that fun, then great. I find it fun to be an anti-camper, whether it means using a sniper rifle, grenades, C4, or a good old fashioned tank-through-the-wall.

Dec 14, 2009
Raika said:
Daystar Clarion said:

No items.

Fox only.

Final Destination.

Because the only way to have fun is according to your definition, am I right?

On-topic: I'm irritated to hell and gone by pretentious snobs. It's a video game, champ. Get that stick out of your arse.

I'm also pretty pissed off at anybody who tells me I'm 'playing the game wrong' or I 'hate fun' when I have my own way of enjoying things, i.e. turning all the items and most of the stages off when I play Super Smash Bros.. Sorry that the thought of me enjoying myself offends you so much, junior.
I probably should have been a bit more concise.

I wasn't implying that playing the game that way was wrong, merely that I've met enough people in my time who won't play the game in any other way and look down on others who do.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I think the type of gamer that I dislike the most is the elitist crowd. Spend fifteen minutes on the official World of WarCraft boards and you'll see exactly what I mean. The people who will completely dismiss everything you say simply because your gear doesn't meet their personal standards, or you put a talent point somewhere they don't approve, or you haven't gotten a certain achievement yet. Not only do they dismiss everything you say, but they take the time to nitpick everything in an attempt to publicly humiliate the player rather than just moving on.

I haven't played WoW in months, and the community is a big part of why I left. It bothered the hell out of me to see this sort of behavior running rampant and going mostly unpunished (and if anything it was actually promoted by Blizzard). I was part of one of the top raiding guilds on my realm, and I made a lot of really good friends along the way that I still keep in touch with. Many of them started off as the type of person that the elitists on the boards would have had a field day tearing to shreds. Rather than putting those people down for their inexperience, my guild took them in and helped them along, and they turned out to be both great players and great friends in the end.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Can't I get two types to hate on? :p

Anti-feminists. (Hello Escapist, there are too many of those here.)

Ultra-optimizers, with the caveat that this is fine until they try to make *you* optimize, too. No, I want to take that less efficient spell, because *it's cool.* Not because it's a great strategy, but because *I freaking like it.* Now bug off and let me have fun.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I hate the kind of gamer that never really finishes anything they play. I unfortunately know one of these types- he buys games constantly, plays maybe up to five hours of them, then sells them to buy more games. I don't know why it bothers me so much.

The other kind are fighting game players who constantly whinge about 'tiers'. Who the hell cares! Just play the game and have fun!
I don't even play fighting games anymore and those people annoy the shit out of me.