What types of anime are you into and why?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I recently started watching more anime than I used to, but I've still not seen a whole lot. I would like to get into it more, and would like some of your views so I can decide where to go with the next few series I watch.

For reference I've seen:

Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (and the film)
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Beebop
Lucky Star
D-frag
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Attack On Titan
Psycho Pass
Haganai
My Hero Academia
Loads of films: Every Studio Ghibli film / The Girl Who Leapt Through Time / Wolf Children / Perfect Blue / Akira
(I've seen more but those are the ones that come to mind....)

I'm interested to hear what types of Anime you like, why you like them and some examples of your favourites (and what's good about the specific shows/films) because I'd like to try out a few genres.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
My favourites are the older, pre-digital stuff, where you could feel the hand crafted artistry.

If you want to get into some of the more creative anime, watch movies like Memories, Robot Carnival, and Neo Tokyo Labyrinth. And if you want the really weird shit, there's A Tree of Palme, and Angel's Egg.

Steamboy and Metropolis aren't great, but they're the last of the big blockbuster anime that tried to push the envelope visually, and threw a fuckton of money on screen. They're kinda worth seeing just for that.

You can sample some of the 80's trash, like Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku. There's the OVA series 3x3 Eyes, which is also kinda trashy, but thoroughly entertaining nonetheless. And ofcourse Guyver.

Watch Ninja Scroll is you want one of the best, no-nonsense action movies in the anime medium. It's basically Metal Gear Solid in feudal Japan. Spriggan is a nice, if somewhat vapid, action movie, too

Oh, and try to track down the movie version of Macross Plus. Pretty much Cowboy Bebop before Cowboy Bebop, as it was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe and the music provided by Yoko Kanna.

Jan 19, 2011
The Simpsons season 2-9 without a doubt. There's still alot to like about seasons 10 and 11 too.
I occasionally watch Family Guy. I thought it was good from seasons 3-6, but I found it to be of poor quality after that.

Legitimate answer: I like some of the stuff Stuido Ghilbli produce I guess, such as Only Yesterday and The Wind Rises. I have also enjoyed some non-Ghibli films, such as Perfect Blue and Your Name.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The only anime I ever really loved is Texhnolyze. It's so good, I consider it somewhat a work of art. It's probably also the least 'anime' of them all.

As a teen I really enjoyed a lot of anime with monsters and cyborgs like Devilman, Violence Jack, Angel Cop. It's still pretty enjoyable I think. I absolutely detest modern anime. It's either annoying high-pitched voices, wish fulfillment fantasies with androgynous sissies or creepy camera angles of girls that look underage. It's absolutely shite. Not to mention it looks made on a dime with cheap CGI effects.

It's obvious I'm not the target audience for today's anime but even if it was I can't imagine having ever enjoyed that garbage even in my teens.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'm not up to date on current anime so with those I have no input to give.

My often watched Anime include Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hellsing & Hellsing Ultimate, Hajime No Ippo, Hunter X Hunter (minus the Ant Arc, except for the two fights..you know the ones..), Outlaw Star and Naruto
On another note, there is also Green Green, Inukami, Zero No Tsukaima, and DNA2.

I'm sure there are lots I missed, or didn't list as they are just "okay", but in general I prefer Space, Sci-Fi and Comedy.
Martial Arts and Fantasy/Magic can be okay, if they are logical and consistent (most of the time).

I stay away from slice-of-life stuff. Don't need no drama or social/people/feelings thingies.
On that controversial topic I will also say that I squarely fall on the "Neon Genesis Evangelion is shit" line of the divide.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I've been struggling to fine one, just one, war anime that doesn't devolve into the lead girl getting magic super powers because she's now the one.

THE_JOKE_KING33

Jul 17, 2012
Predominately comedy anime (that doesn't rely on fanservice to make it's jokes), slice of life, and action that isn't excessively gory.

I like comedy because, well, I just don't like stuff that's overly serious (with a few exceptions of course), I like people getting into stupid scenarios and the hi-jinks that come with it. The reason I don't like fanservice is solely because I find it to be a poor man's excuse for comedy if they rely on it to make/carry the jokes rather than writing an actual joke, I just don't find it funny.

Slice of life, I find it very calming.

I should note that for "action", I guess I should say "action-adventure" I really like the globe-trotting, adventure stories whih I guess would play into being comedic as well. I don't like *excessive* gore because I personally find it nauseating.

Favorite Comedy (in no order):
Cromartie High School (I would actually greatly recommend the dub over the sub on this one).
Little Witch Academia
Senyu. (could also double as action when the narrator wants to stop screwing around, lol).
Fooly Cooly (*Definitely* watch the dub)
Dirty Pair
Daily Lives Of High School Boys
Arakawa Under The Bridge/arakawa Under The Bridge 2

Favorite Slice Of Life (in no order):
Barakamon
Polar Bear Cafe
Yuru Camp
Hakumei to Mikochi
Flying Witch

Favorite Action (in no order):
Noragami/Noragami Aragoto
Tiger And Bunny (don't let the name fool you, it's actually about superheroes) (though, this could also fit into comedy)
Beyond The Boundary
Steamboy
Kyousougiga
Magic Kaito 1412
Blood Blockade Battlefront/Block Blockade Battlefront and Beyond

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Silentpony said:
I've been struggling to fine one, just one, war anime that doesn't devolve into the lead girl getting magic super powers because she's now the one.
Define war anime. Like, anime with gritty realistic combat?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Silentpony said:
Define war anime. Like, anime with gritty realistic combat?
The ones I tried out were Valkyria Chronicles, which seemed like a nice little WW2 themed anime, until oops, turns out half the women involved are magic space angels.
Then I went on to Muv Luv Alternative, but oops turns out the ladies are magic space samurais.
And I just felt so defeated.

I'm not the biggest fan of unnecessary gore, but I can handle violence. Mechas work, but I've seen a bunch of Gundams and Macross and the like.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
All types. Various reasons

Haven't watched much Yaoi though. I attribute that to Togainu no Chi being awful

List:
Nichijou - lol
Mushishi - Quiet
Samurai Champloo - Nujabes
Welcome to the N.H.K. - Welcome
Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: Everything Flows - Neko
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - Pokemon trading
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control - Buying Pokemon attacks
Cencoroll - Pokemon eating humans

[hr]

Since Neon Genesis Evangelion got brought up I implore all those that have watched it to hear Shinji's Rant

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Silentpony said:
The ones I tried out were Valkyria Chronicles, which seemed like a nice little WW2 themed anime, until oops, turns out half the women involved are magic space angels.
Then I went on to Muv Luv Alternative, but oops turns out the ladies are magic space samurais.
And I just felt so defeated.

I'm not the biggest fan of unnecessary gore, but I can handle violence. Mechas work, but I've seen a bunch of Gundams and Macross and the like.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.1039220-Black-Lagoon-A-Review

You know, I think a lot of people here didn't see my review because they thought it was for some obscure movie or something. lol

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I've been into other world anime in the past year or so. Though there's plenty of other stuff I like.

List:
Hellsing Ultimate
Log Horizon
Overlord
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
One Piece
Code Geass
No Game No life
Hunter x Hunter
Cowboy Bebop
Boku no Hero Acedemia
One Punch Man
Nanatsu no Taizai
Tokyo Ravens (though only because of the EPIC looking magic in it.)
Shokugeki no Shouma
Mob Psycho 100
Death Parade
Diamond no Ace (first season only)
Kill la Kill
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Re:Zero
Youjo Senki
(And though not really a normal anime:) Sword Art Online: Abridged.

And probably some more I forgot to mention. As you might be able to tell, it's mostly fantasy and action anime, with a few others. I used to watch Shoujo as well, but I guess I grew out of that.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
I honestly haven't been regularly into anime for quite some time. Now it's just a matter of a series once in a while catching my interest. I'm just so sick of the tropes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
Japan has a different relationship with war than the West, probably because of the one where they lost and got nuked. They generally try to stay as far away from realistic depictions of war as possible. WW2 especially, since that would shine some light on their own sordid history. I think the best you're going to get from anime in that area is Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies.

Nov 9, 2015
Silentpony said:
[a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/81/Mobile_Suit_Gundam__The_08th_MS_Team]Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team[/a]. Just look at this god tier opening.
I haven't watched this in 15 years, and it's nostalgia overload. In fact, I can barely recall anything about it, but it was great, believe me. While Char and Amuro were having their dumb rivalry in space with their OP laser guns, this one is deals with ordinary ground forces with conventional weaponry.

[a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/82/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_0080__War_in_the_Pocket]Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket[/a] is about a Federation child who befriends a downed Zeon pilot.

[a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/3613/Toshokan_Sensou]Library Wars[/a] is about two governmental task forces duking it out to prevent the enforcement of censorship laws.

[a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/14131/Girls_und_Panzer]Girls und Panzer[/a], is not really a "war" anime per se but is about a school sport involving tanks of various nations fighting each other. If you have even the slightest interest in tanks, then this one is a treat.

Since you watched Muv Luv: Alternative (Total Eclipse?), there is [a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/30806/Schwarzesmarken]Schwarzenmarken[/a], which is less about the BETA and more about the infighting between the East German forces and the Stasi Guard.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Gotta be honest, there's not many I am into. One of the main through-lines with the ones I do like are the ones with waaay over the top action/humour. Things like Gurren Lagann, One Punch Man, Kill la Kill or Boku no Hero.

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are also great. I still have something of a fondness for Outlaw Star and its setting.

That said, I took the time to rewatch some of the ones I liked when I was younger and very few of them aged well. Macross Plus still holds up (Also, I noticed that the main protagonist is voiced by Bryan Cranston, how weird is that?) And Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still absolutely holds up and remains one of my favourite pieces of media.

One of the ones I'm most sad about was Bubblegum Crisis 2040. It was the first anime I ever watched, and I remember being spellbound by it. But I came across a DVD box set and rewatched as much as I could bear. The animation is a lot choppier than I remember. Also, the characters are incredibly 90s, meaning they're either hyperactive or broody, unlikeable misery guts'. I still think their mech suit designs are badass though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm into several types but I don't watched many of it per say. Example I liked mechs but I'm only into Gundam in that catagory. Same with harem since only the Tenchi series is my main harem (and aswell Monster Musume).

I guess Shonen is probably my main one since I watched One Piece and past finished shows like Bleach (well except after Aizen arc), Fairy Tail and Naruto (can't be bother waching Boruto).

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Generally fantasy, I love sword art online at the minute (although I did just get to the most mary sue episode ever... It was tolerable before but fuck me guys, he just beat the best guy in the game and had 3 leaders of races fawning over him, come on!)

Full metal alchemist brotherhood is still the best anime ever

oh and haikyuu cos volleyball.

EDIT: Also, I don;t know why cousin incest is so big in these animes, creeps me the fuck out. Please just stop.