What types of anime are you into and why?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
But since you like the pre-digital stuff, did you ever watch Blue Seed? I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed it. The flaws were pretty hard to overlook. The leads were teenagers and some of the most stupid and annoying characters in anime history... but I enjoyed it for the supporting cast (that had surprising depth and screen time) and its use of Japanese folklore. And its Omake Theater shorts.
I haven't seen that one. I actually thought you were talking about Blue Gender there for a second... the one with the bugs.

chysamere

Jun 28, 2012
There are a lot of really great recommendations in this thread but there are also a lot of people just throwing out their favorite anime which isn't necessarily the best for an inexperienced watcher to get into.

Silentpony said:
I've been struggling to fine one, just one, war anime that doesn't devolve into the lead girl getting magic super powers because she's now the one.
Try Gundam Iron Blooded orphans

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the mystery genera and Detective Conan is my favorite. Conan has been airing on an almost weekly basis since 1994 which makes it a really interesting time capsule of animation history. From the hand drawn era thought to the modern digital animation. It is a long one with all most 900 episodes so you're can binge it in one night. While not every case is great the vast majority of case are well written and well thought out. They have yet to use the same trick twice but do reuse some element from other cases on occasion. The perfectly sealed room trick is one of the writers favorites. I could write a book on all the things I love about this anime but we'd be here forever.

Instead I'll say my favorite thing about it is the confidence the writers have in the success of the anime. And what I mean by that is that the writers will set up a mystery arc that will span a season or several seasons with the confidence that once the base is set, they can return to pay it off at their pace instead of trying to cram it in somewhere. The best example is when the killed on of the long running characters in the series but relieved 5 seasons (271 episode) and 6 years later that what we saw was a very elaborate plan to fake that characters death. And when you go back to rewatch those episodes you start to see all the clues the writers put in.

The audience never has more information on a case then the detectives in the show. Since Detective Conan's case are usually murder/mysteries the show is a game for the audience to try to solve to case with the characters. As such the writers and animators never give the audience more information then the characters in the show have. We find clues and learn details with the detectives. The anime's creator came up with a novel to get around giving away to much information in showing scene where the protagonist isn't present. Instead of showing a scene with the killer in shadow or poor lighting, they are given a generic black silhouette of an average male build. Pitch black body, white eyes and mouth and bare minimum physical features. Where the killer is male/female ,old/young , short/tall, black/white, Japanese/foreign whatever, they are all represented by the same silhouette when showing scenes with the killer/perpetrator before the case is solved. It keeps the audience on the same knowledge level as the characters and keeps the game of who done it going.

Conan also has my favorite recurring foil to the protagonist. A gentlemen thief going by the name Kaito (Phantom Thief) Kid. An almost overly confident professional high school thief that uses magic (and I'm talk Las Vegas magic not sorcery) and deception tactics to steal from the most impervious locations. Kaito is able to perfectly disguise himself as any adult character so whenever he is involved in a case its becomes a game for the audience members to figure out who kid disguised himself as and how he pulled off the heist.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Casual Shinji said:
Kyrian007 said:
But since you like the pre-digital stuff, did you ever watch Blue Seed? I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed it. The flaws were pretty hard to overlook. The leads were teenagers and some of the most stupid and annoying characters in anime history... but I enjoyed it for the supporting cast (that had surprising depth and screen time) and its use of Japanese folklore. And its Omake Theater shorts.
I haven't seen that one. I actually thought you were talking about Blue Gender there for a second... the one with the bugs.
Well, just for clarity its this.
Its probably not easy to find.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
In the past year or so I've been trying to watch more anime. For whatever reason for most of my life I've just kinda ignored it. No particular reason. But given that "anime" is such a ridiculously vague term that covers a ton of different genres and styles, I've been kinda at a loss as to what to watch. So I've been mostly watching things that were recommended to me by friends. So far I've seen...

1.) Cowboy Bebop (absolutely loved, through and through)
2.) Black Lagoon (loved it)
3.) Full Metal Alchemist (loved it)
4.) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (absolutely loved, through and through)
5.) Neon Genesis Evangelion (thought it was okay; probably not something I'd watch again)
6.) Full Metal Panic (love/hate; wish it would make up its mind as to whether it wants to be action or comedy. It's decent at both, but terrible at blending them)
7.) Area 88 (interesting to see where my beloved UN Squadron for the SNES came from, but it felt slow and kinda aimless most of the time)
8.) Tokyo Ghoul (mostly liked the first season, didn't really care much for the second season; the supporting cast stole the show from the lead)
9.) Parasyte: The Maxim (mostly enjoyed; got a good laugh out of a scene where like twenty police officers with AA-12 shotguns opened fire on a guy at close range and did no damage - reminded me of the AA-12 in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which I refer to as the "confetti cannon")
10.) Attack on Titan (I mostly like this one, but it has some serious pacing issues)
11.) Future Diary (didn't like it)
12.) Cromartie High School (loved it)
13.) Trigun (didn't really give it a fair shot - watched like four episodes, couldn't get into it, gave up; probably deserves a second chance)
14.) Akira (mostly enjoyed it; didn't really get it until the second viewing; still not really sure I got it)
15.) Lily C.A.T. (disliked it, but probably due to overly high expectations; it was advertised to me as a mash-up of Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing - two of my favorite movies)
16.) Elfen Lied (disliked it; unlikable characters and lots of edge for nothing beyond the sake of being edgy without any of the charm of a show like Black Lagoon)
17.) GATE (guilty pleasure, loved this one. The premise is charmingly lame, and it's kinda amusing seeing mostly obsolete Vietnam-era military equipment kicking the crap out of a generic fantasy world)
18.) Death Note (loved it)

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone, some useful suggestions here. There's so much choice here that I'm going to struggle to pick a few to start with - lol.

Sep 24, 2008
I recently stopped liking anime that much.

It feels like I'm watching the same thing over and over again. Especially when it comes to romance.

So the ones I still like to watch are very Special.

On the top of the list is Konosuba. It's literally one of the few animes that gets me laughing out loud and consistently. Season 3 or riot, Japan.

Amagi Brilliant Park had a lot of heart.

Haganai and Haganai NEXT gets a lot of laughs.

Daily Lives of High School Boys. It's brilliant. Simply brilliant.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ObsidianJones said:
Haganai and Haganai NEXT gets a lot of laughs.
I've seen this. I'm not sure if it's trying to be a parody of other anime or something but there were far too many unnecessary crotch shots and naked underaged people. There are also lots of hints at sibling incest fantasies too - which, as I've discussed in an earlier post, might be ok to talk about in Japan but, as a westerner, I don't like it at all. It's a very uncomfortable show generally. Even if it is supposed to be a parody, I don't think I'll be watching it again.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It's been a while since I saw one I liked and stuck with. I dip into Space Dandy every now and again, but generally speaking most the ones I try out on Netflix or Amazon Prime I find either too boring or too childish, and bounce straight off of them. If I get an urge, I just go back and watch the old standards (Bebop, Ghost in the Shell etc.) but finding myself drift away.

Also I feel a bit too old to be watching a lot of them now, which is a thing I never thought I'd hear myself saying. If I can recommend any one anime, I recommend Redline, which is a movie that's like Space Dandy on steroids (to the point where Dandy is clearly ripping it off), with the animation quality turned up to 11 and back in time to the 1980s.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
maninahat said:
Also I feel a bit too old to be watching a lot of them now, which is a thing I never thought I'd hear myself saying.
I think anime is such a broad medium that there should be shows for every age tbh shouldn't there? Besides, you're only as old as you feel.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Silentpony said:
I've been struggling to fine one, just one, war anime that doesn't devolve into the lead girl getting magic super powers because she's now the one.
Try out Youjo Senki... it subverts that idea quite a bit...

And if you want out and out war anime, then watch Grave of the Fireflies... and when you're done, I'd challenge you to try watching it a second time without skipping any of it...

ObsidianJones said:
Daily Lives of High School Boys. It's brilliant. Simply brilliant.
Yes! Yes, it most decidedly is! XD

Charli said:
No in betweens.
LOL, likewise... on the one had... Haibane Renmei... and on the other... HighSchool of the Dead!

I don said:
[a href=https://myanimelist.net/anime/14131/Girls_und_Panzer]Girls und Panzer[/a], is not really a "war" anime per se but is about a school sport involving tanks of various nations fighting each other. If you have even the slightest interest in tanks, then this one is a treat.
Then ramp it up to 11 and watch Der Film, which is two hours of distilled awesomeness! XD

OT: I like quite a few genres of anime (much like other media... like, I'm currently on a Really Slow Motion binge, even though my first love of music is baroque).

Anyway, along with the above mentioned titles, I enjoy(ed) (series only, films are pretty much restricted to Studio Ghibli):

Aria
Hourou Musuko
Psycho PASS
GitS:SAC
Ergo Proxy
Darker Than BLACK
Seirei no Moribito
le Chevalier D'Eon

My, I'm a pretentious git, ain't I?! -_________-

OK...

K-On
Azumanga Daioh