What Visiting the Amazon Taught Me About Video Game Jungles

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
What Visiting the Amazon Taught Me About Video Game Jungles

Critical Intel puts some first hand experience in the Amazon rain forest to work in examining the way games represent jungles.

Read Full Article

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
We've sure come a long way since the "jungles" in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. I recall being pretty impressed with the Jungle in Goldeneye. Then, years later, the jungle in Far Cry. IMO we honestly have not progressed very far in jungle representation since Far Cry even though we see them quite often in video games.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
Great article. For the moment I'm quite content with the Northern hemisphere, no rainforests for me... but it's cool to see what games get wrong or right about them.
Thinking about it, video game forests really tend to feel too clean or not really alive... maybe some of your points could help improving them

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
really interesting. solid article involving gaming and real life, this is the kind of intriuging material I have come to expect form Escapist

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb here, Mr. Rath, and commend you on this article. Not just because it's a fun and informative read but because how it was written. The past few articles have led me to believe that you write these well researched texts while on the road, far away from home and comfort and yet manage to put out higher quality than a lot of the so-so content that's even starting to clog up the Escapist from people sitting nicely at home. You have my sincere respect.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The last thing about animal behaviour is a constant irritation of mine. Wild animals acting suicidally aggressive even when I'm retreating, I'm sure player-chops wouldn't taste that good.