What was the game that proved you had the last functioning brain amoung all humans?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Mass Effect series. I love the games, I think they are hella fun, but it's some of the science that causes me to go; "Oh my God, do some damn research!"

Spoilers inbound...

Shepard's death in ME2, he was dead for two years. His brain would have suffered massive damage due to oxygen deprivation. Yet not 5 minutes later he is up and about as if nothing has happened. Sorry Bioware, you fail biology forever.

Legion's death in ME3; He tries to upload the improvement code but fails, he then tries to upload the code and succeeds but at the cost of his own life. How does one method work but the other doesn't?

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
I find myself disagreeing with gamers a lot who are approx. 30 years younger than me. That doesn't mean my brain is superior, it just means theirs isn't "done yet". Afaik that's the technical term.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Skyrim was bloody wonderful. I would still be playing if it weren't for all the game-breaking glitches. It would be unreservedly one of my favourite games it I could've just played it without having to look up the Wiki before going anywhere in case...well, in case my Thralls can't even leave. Which does happen. Or in case I break the main story by being a terrible gamer and doing multiple arcs at once. Which also happens.

I have the opposite problem though: I am a Monster Hunter and Armored Core fan. I cannot understand how people can not play those games. I mean, granted MH is Nintendo-only now so I'd be a hypocrite to look down upon people who don't, but Armored Core has customisable robots. Yes the voice acting is s***ty no there's no story yes the missions are uninspired yes sometimes it is difficult but they are CUSTOMISABLE. ROBOTS. I forbid you to say anything bad about that.

Really though, awesome mech game and one of the few still alive. Pity about the whole region-locking-nobody-playing thing that broke the multiplayer and the fact that the game is clearly made for Japan to the point where they don't even bother translating promotional material let alone providing crucial services for other fans, but still...

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
I think you're the less intellectually inclined here for not knowing what Skyrim was about before succumbing to hype. Everyone knows that TES games are slow-burning games for explorers. It's obvious to me that you're no explorer.

There are, according to the Bartle quotient, 4 types of gamer psych traits. Achievers, Explorers, Socializers, and Killers. Any person can be made up of all or some or one of these traits. The type of person who will enjoy Skyrim must be at least over 50% in either achiever, explorer or both.

You can take the test yourself:

http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bartle-test-of-gamer-psychology
I took that test for some lulz and I got 40 percent explorer but i also got 80 percent killer and one of Skyrim's huge issues is the boring repetitive combat. For me it just became too boring to keep playing. I think your statement would be true if that 50 became more like a 75 because everyone basically says you have to play it for exploration. On that topic making a player play a certain way to the detriment of all other styles isn't designed well.

Off topic: I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot. (not biased against Bethesda)

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
hoboman29 said:
I took that test for some lulz and I got 40 percent explorer but i also got 80 percent killer and one of Skyrim's huge issues is the boring repetitive combat. For me it just became too boring to keep playing. I think your statement would be true if that 50 became more like a 75 because everyone basically says you have to play it for exploration. On that topic making a player play a certain way to the detriment of all other styles isn't designed well.

Off topic: I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot. (not biased against Bethesda)
Try bumping Skyrim up to Expert if you haven't already, it's a totally different experience. It may be the combat really is just boring and repetitive to you. But a lot of people say they just walk up to enemies and mash the button- I don't know if that applies to you. You can't get away with that if you're playing on the appropriate difficulty unless you have maxed out all the crafting skills and overpowered yourself, which I strongly recommend you not do lol. The combat is much more involved and you're forced to use the tools you usually just ignore.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Rooster Cogburn said:
hoboman29 said:

Try bumping Skyrim up to Expert if you haven't already, it's a totally different experience. It may be the combat really is just boring and repetitive to you. But a lot of people say they just walk up to enemies and mash the button- I don't know if that applies to you. You can't get away with that if you're playing on the appropriate difficulty unless you have maxed out all the crafting kills and overpowered yourself, which I strongly recommend you not do lol. The combat is much more involved and you're forced to use the tools you usually just ignore.
My character build was (and still is hes just in limbo) a sword and magic expert which by all rights should lead to some awesome fights but the sword had 2 attacks and I never stayed in the towns as I felt they had nothing in them so no magic spells for me. My real issue with Skyrim is that I loved the Bethesda Fallout games (combat and all) so it just baffles me that Skyrim's combat is as dull as it is. Also there are spiders and I hate the fucking things with passion.

Off topic: The dragon on top of that mountian was played by the guy who plays Mario.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
EDIT: OOPS, lols formatting bug?

Quote: Try bumping Skyrim up to expert

If I didn't like how pathetically weak and underpowered magic was on normal, I don't see how giving enemies more health will fix that. Face it; every installment, that series sacrifices the fun aspects of spell effects (levitation, blind, sound, etc. Boots of blinding speed, anyone) and custom spells/ enchantments (in Skyrim, you can only destroy a weapon to take an enchant off it, never make your own) all in favor of ONE thing: making the melee combat better and that's it, end of story.

In addition to what they did to the quests (There was a thread recently called "Skyrim, where's the fun?" that had an Oblivion/Skyrim quest comparison on page 1) I don't see how ANYONE who played the last two before Skyrim in any real depth could like Skyrim. Skyrim IS a bad game. If I WANT to like a game because I like the series, but CAN'T, it means they dropped the ball, and hard. If they put even 5% of their grtaphical budget into the magic and quests, it might have been a damn good one, but nooooooooo.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Well, the question at face-value is a little pompous and condescending, but I think understand the spirit of the question: "What was the game that convinced you that you were smarter than the gaming community at large?"

That would have to be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

The campaign was absurd and full of ridiculous plotholes (making a jump like that in a snowmobile and both the riders and the craft are completely unharmed...really?) and the multiplayer was a repetitive cluster of mass-destructive-violence worship (dropping a nuke on a close-quarters gunfight? really? REALLY?!)

The fact that this game was so highly praised by the press and by gamers made me realize that the only sensible conclusion is that I had a more discerning eye than the average gamer.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
hoboman29 said:
My character build was (and still is hes just in limbo) a sword and magic expert which by all rights should lead to some awesome fights but the sword had 2 attacks and I never stayed in the towns as I felt they had nothing in them so no magic spells for me. My real issue with Skyrim is that I loved the Bethesda Fallout games (combat and all) so it just baffles me that Skyrim's combat is as dull as it is. Also there are spiders and I hate the fucking things with passion.

Off topic: The dragon on top of that mountian was played by the guy who plays Mario.
I don't entirely understand why you're not using magic. And if you're not using magic, what are you using instead? I really think you will find it less dull if you try it on Expert, but you know better than I what exactly you find dull about it.
Ranylyn said:
EDIT: OOPS, lols formatting bug?

Quote: Try bumping Skyrim up to expert

If I didn't like how pathetically weak and underpowered magic was on normal, I don't see how giving enemies more health will fix that. Face it; every installment, that series sacrifices the fun aspects of spell effects (levitation, blind, sound, etc. Boots of blinding speed, anyone) and custom spells/ enchantments (in Skyrim, you can only destroy a weapon to take an enchant off it, never make your own) all in favor of ONE thing: making the melee combat better and that's it, end of story.

In addition to what they did to the quests (There was a thread recently called "Skyrim, where's the fun?" that had an Oblivion/Skyrim quest comparison on page 1) I don't see how ANYONE who played the last two before Skyrim in any real depth could like Skyrim. Skyrim IS a bad game. If I WANT to like a game because I like the series, but CAN'T, it means they dropped the ball, and hard. If they put even 5% of their grtaphical budget into the magic and quests, it might have been a damn good one, but nooooooooo.
Bumping up the difficulty may not help in your case. Often the problem is the player is too strong, in your case the player is too weak. Destruction for one has a weird arc, it's very weak for a few levels if you play any race but Altmer, then it's really strong for a while, then it's weak again at high levels. Even so, I played a Destruction reliant Breton on Expert and got through those first few levels OK. It's tough until you get a large enough mana pool.

Blind was redundant. We really didn't need four different ways to accomplish exactly the same thing as Muffle. I do miss Levitation and would welcome its return, but I understand why it's gone. Super-fast characters trivialized content. Being fast was almost as good as 100% Chameleon. The mighty ogres and minotaurs were less threat than a slaughterfish. A lot of the effects we lost from Oblivion were pointless or redundant. Skyrim's system has more variety in practice. Spell making was neat but it was not working as intended. People were using less spells and less interesting ones, not more. Same with enchanting, you had more options before but all but a few were pointless. You acquire enchantments by disenchanting weapons, but the magnitude of your enchantment is determined by other factors. Maybe you should try it, you might like it. We technically have fewer options now but also more reason to diversify. I always liked Enchanting as a skill, although I liked the way Morrowind did it best. I don't totally disagree with you about the magic system. I just think it's not as bad as you say and we're getting a lot in trade.

I saw that comparison, I think it has it totally backward. People complained about samey dungeon diving in Oblivion all the time, and Skyrim greatly alleviated the problem. Now people have just forgotten what they spent most of their time in Oblivion doing. And don't forget that the dungeon variety in Skyrim is much better both in terms of types of dungeons to explore and making each one unique. Skyrim doesn't have enough faction missions though, even if they are generally better done than Oblivion's.

I don't know how many hours I put into Morrowind and Oblivion, but it was some hundreds. Skyrim is a sweet game, and it's almost a triumphant return after the disappointment of Oblivion.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
s69-5 said:
AsurasEyes said:
...the ignorance of that statement is so mind boggling that I kind of want to take up self harm so I can make sense of the world I live in through pain.
My eyes are open.

And I'm sorry, but when the fuck was Sauron ever a dragon?
Never said he was. But I'll be damned if they didn't copy Sauron's "I see you" at any chance they got. Or did the nightmares not mean that? (rhetorical, do not answer)

Played DA:O 1.5 times. Played once as I do most games that I play. Then heard such good things that I thought I obviously missed something. I didn't. The game was still crap on the second run. So I abandonned it and sold it back to the store and bought Trinity Universe instead.

I don't think it helped that I was playing Demon's Souls at the same time as DA:O. On the one hand you had (at that point) the best RPG of this gen. On the other you had another overrated turd from Bioware. Made DA:O look even worse I'm sure.

It's like what happened to Skyrim in a sense. I played Dark Souls (best RPG of this gen) and Skyrim at the same time. Dark Souls is a brilliantly designed game with a few frame rate issues (not game breaking). Skyrim is a mediocre, buggy mess (now) and was nigh unplayable at release (on PS3 - which is where my gaming is mostly done).
...the fact that you cite Dark Souls, a slow, boring, repetitive slog through a lifeless world with no charm to it as the best RPG of this generation...I'm sorry. That game was awful, but I can see where you're coming from. You've been in the crap canyon for so long you've deluded yourself into believing that it's the high point of gaming.

I'm a fantasy junkie, I play D&D, Warhammer Fantasy, and any fantasy game that comes out that I can afford. I read fantasy books and watch their movies fucking CONSTANTLY. And Dragon Age: Origins was the best goddamn game I've played, with an immersive world, amazing writing, and unique characters that had good arcs.

Dark Souls was a waste of time and money, when I shell out 60 fucking dollars on a game, it had better get on it's knees and give me a unicorn that grants wishes via blowjobs, not call me a prick and kill me every single FUCKING time I make a single mistake. I'm an atheist, I have no belief in any other time aside from this life, so if I lose this relaxation time to a cloud of ones and zeros that thinks I'm going to put up with it's bullshit, in the hopes that I'm a masochistic imbecile who can't understand what a good game is supposed to have, it's got another thing coming. It has NOTHING redeeming about it, no rewarding combat, not even a FUCKING STORY, and absolutely zero characters that I can enjoy.

Look, just end this argument and get out. I'm bedridden as of late and I'm not in the mood to continue this, so just stop.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Skyrim was bloody wonderful. I would still be playing if it weren't for all the game-breaking glitches. It would be unreservedly one of my favourite games it I could've just played it without having to look up the Wiki before going anywhere in case...well, in case my Thralls can't even leave. Which does happen. Or in case I break the main story by being a terrible gamer and doing multiple arcs at once. Which also happens.

I have the opposite problem though: I am a Monster Hunter and Armored Core fan. I cannot understand how people can not play those games. I mean, granted MH is Nintendo-only now so I'd be a hypocrite to look down upon people who don't, but Armored Core has customisable robots. Yes the voice acting is s***ty no there's no story yes the missions are uninspired yes sometimes it is difficult but they are CUSTOMISABLE. ROBOTS. I forbid you to say anything bad about that.

Really though, awesome mech game and one of the few still alive. Pity about the whole region-locking-nobody-playing thing that broke the multiplayer and the fact that the game is clearly made for Japan to the point where they don't even bother translating promotional material let alone providing crucial services for other fans, but still...
I really have wanted to play Armored Core for some time. I love mechs with a burning passion and to see giant fuckin' robots blowing shit up is only equaled by them fighting dinosaurs with guns mounted on them, along with giant insects and aliens. Unfortunately, EDF only gives me bugs and robots... sigh.

I ought to try Armored Core sometime.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
Racecarlock said:
AsurasEyes said:
"So, the general point of this seems to be that I'm stupid because I like a game you don't? Well, that's what I usually hear.

Honestly, people, get off your bloody horses. Not liking a game doesn't make you smarter. It makes you... Well, not liking that game. You've got your taste, other people have theirs. It doesn't make you special, like you've seen the light surrounded by people who haven't.

Why in Sheogorath's name can't we just play and let's play?"

It doesn't put me on a higher level of intellect. I merely didn't enjoy it, and cannot understand why so many people called it the BEST GAEM EVAR when it was mediocre at best. The title is hyperbole, but I can understand how hard that it is to grasp that concept of sarcasm through text. One of the reasons I prefer face to face. You lose a lot of subtle things on a screen.
Calm down guy, it's just a "Games you hate that everyone else seems to like" thread. Take a chill pill, dude. He was probably being ironic anyways.

OT:Mafia II. I cannot say it enough for the rest of the damn year. It's the worst sandbox game I've ever played.

"But it's an interactive drama!". Well, then why have the open world? It barely even serves a purpose. As for the "drama" it's just every mafia movie ever made smashed together into an unidentifiable gray sludge. I lost all my money due to story convenience twice. I was in debt to drug dealers because of a deal gone bad at least 4. Worst of all, through most of it I have to follow traffic laws, so between every dramatic scene and shootout, there's at least 10 minutes of sitting in traffic.

But back to the movie rip offs. Tell me if these names sound familiar. Vito Scaletta. Henry Tomasino. See? They even ripped two name halves from the godfather!

Then there's the chores. Oh yes there are chores. There's the 3rd chapter where you have to carry a box to a truck, there's chapters 6-8 which include cleaning toilets in prison, chaperoning around drunk friends with the radio not only stuck on, but stuck on one station, and then immediately following all of that you have to sort cigarette colors. Say what you want about bowling in GTA IV, at least I LIKE bowling. I don't like sorting cigarettes or cleaning toilets. Nobody does. Having it in a video game makes it all the more insulting, as if the game's telling you "What? You want entertainment? Well FUCK YOU! This is all you're getting".

I paid $20 for this game, and it did come with an additional content CD so I get all the DLC as well, and I still feel ripped off. All the DLC does is remove the automatic missions and waypoints so you can discover how truly empty Empire Bay really is. You can annoy cops, get drunk at a bar, buy weapons and clothing, and customize vehicles. That's it. 4 things. This is probably the emptiest open world I have ever experienced in a game.

I know what you're thinking though. "Getting drunk could be fun, right?". Yeah, they could easily have made it like GTA IV and RDR and have you hilariously stumble around and shit, but no, you don't get that. You wanna know what happens? You get a slight blur effect. That's it. A slight blur effect. No stumbling, not even some funny phrases, just some blurring and a slight yellow tint.

In fact, nothing is fun in this game. You want to know what happens when you speed or even scratch another car? The police chase you. Yes, this is the only sandbox game on the current gen that has traffic laws, and they're the most annoying thing since house flies. Don't even think of going above 60 mph or hitting another car in front of a cop. If you do, they chase you. Yes, you can pay the tickets or bribe them on a two star level, but even then you have to sit through minute long animations where you just want to get back to regular play. You're going to get pulled over constantly if you drive in any manner even close to resembling a maniac. It sucks.

In conclusion, I played this game because people on GTAForums keep asking for features from Mafia II to be in GTA V, and I can say with %100 certainty that every single part of mafia II barring the garage system should stay as far away from GTA V as possible, lest it turn GTA V into a boring slog like Mafia II was. I still can't figure out what the hell anyone sees in it. Whatsoever. But that's okay, they can enjoy what they want. As long as I don't have to do the same.
I only played the demo but I can say that I liked the idea of being able to rob shops, because it meant you could actually make a PROFIT from commiting crime. Y'know, the whole fucking point of commiting crimes beyond money burning (which you need for all the weapons) carnage.
As for myself, when I first played Bioshock it was on a shitty semi-old, barely equiped PC that chugged harder than eitheen year old pre-alcoholic at a frat party. So when I heard the rave reviews I found it hard to sympathise, the graphics weren't too special and looked like a very shiny slide presentation at times and the gameplay always felt clunky and uncomfortable because I had no idea what I was meant to be doing and missed half the content, so I didn't really get the best experience out of it. These days I put it down to bad equipment but that was my initial experience with Bioshock so it techically sort of counts.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
s69-5 said:
AsurasEyes said:
Dark Souls was a waste of time and money, when I shell out 60 fucking dollars on a game, it had better get on it's knees and give me a unicorn that grants wishes via blowjobs, not call me a prick and kill me every single FUCKING time I make a single mistake. I'm an atheist, I have no belief in any other time aside from this life, so if I lose this relaxation time to a cloud of ones and zeros that thinks I'm going to put up with it's bullshit, in the hopes that I'm a masochistic imbecile who can't understand what a good game is supposed to have, it's got another thing coming. It has NOTHING redeeming about it, no rewarding combat, not even a FUCKING STORY, and absolutely zero characters that I can enjoy.
Ah, this explains it - you have no taste in games (haha - a bit of a joke). Although the last line proves you didn't play the game, since you mention that combat is not rewarding...

But seriously, Dark Souls has a story (you have to find it). And the combat is probably the best ever made in an RPG - no joke, it just is. DA:O is some of the worst combat so, there are your two extremes...

The bolded part is quite insulting and you should watch that, lest you get reported and modsmacked by the banhammer. (look at what you described in the next post below - you know better, so practice what you preach) You do know that Demon's Souls was named Game of the Year in some reputable places right? I don't think those that like are, as you put it: "masochistic imbecile(s) who can't understand what a good game is supposed to have". On the contrary, they know exactly what a good game should have...

You know one of the major things missing from modern games? Tension. The Souls series provides that. It also provides satisfying combat, large demon bosses, interesting multiplayer, the option for single player, exploration, loot, some of the best metroidvania styled levels ever made, no useless grind.

Meanwhile back in DA:O we have: ripped off story, ripped off characters, bland world, bad dungeon design, crappy bosses... even the way loot drops is bad (there is a considerable lag between when loot appears and when you can actually pick it up). Bad, bad game design.

I'll take minimal story over poorly written, ripped off story any day. This is also why Skyrim is still better than DA:O, even as Skyrim pales to most other RPGs.

In short, and I repeat, Bioware is the most overrated devolopper in modern gaming.

BTW: Valkyria Chronicles is the next best RPG this gen after the Souls series.

PS. I last responded to you more than 12 hours ago. Trying to end the discussion (with you having last word) by telling me to shut up cause you're tired and want to sleep, 12 hours later, is retarded. Please find better excuses to escape when you've lost an argument (which you started I might add)...
Jesus Christ you just don't let up do you?

Dark Souls had literally ZERO tension. There was only frustration and boredom. It was artificially toughened by not telling you a single thing, and it looked upon you with nothing but contempt despite shelling out 60 dollars for it. Perhaps you have a masochistic streak that I lack, which is admirable. However, when the game tells you NOTHING and expects you to pick up the pieces, that's just bad game design.

DA:O had amazing writing, charming characters and voice acting that was above average at least, and while the combat sucked, it made you feel like you accomplished something at the end of a fight. Dark Souls foes died like extras in those bad western movies, slowly falling over while you can swear you hear them mumble, "Oh wait, I'm dead now". Meanwhile, in DA:O, you smash your pommel into the chest of a darkspawn, then pull back and slash their throat and knock them to the floor. Dark Souls had a unique world, but I couldn't experience it because I was always chewing my lip till it bled. Dragon Age's battle with the elves and the werewolves, the golems and Branka, the first battle with an Ogre, final battle with the archdemon had more suspense each than the entirety of Dark Souls. Because there were bloody characters at stake, if they died, you'd lose a massive bonus to your party and I cared about them so much that I started to get sad when I realized I had failed them as a commander.

The worlds the two take place in are interesting, but Dark Souls spends most of it's time building you up as the chosen hero, the only one who can stand and fight against the darkness. Whilst in DA:O, your character has no destiny. He has no formal training even. He's some rat that Duncan picked up and ended up being one of the last Grey Wardens alive; and against all odds, he strode in and ended the Blight. I spent time reading the codex entries of the Maker and the history, and it felt like a real world I could live in, with people and heroes and villains and monsters.

Yes the darkspawn were basically the not orcs, but Bioware at least made them much more terrifying by including the Broodmothers and Archdemon. The characters did fit fantasy cliches, but they had enough charm and personality for me to fall in love with every one of them.

Final point: Dark Souls actively resents you, the player. That fact alone is what drives me to loathe it so. This is a game that expects me to pay 60 dollars of my hard earned money, waste three hours of my only relaxation time, while it's killing me and calling me an asshole for that, make itself obnoxiously hard for no reason, and then expect me to lavish it with praise and joyous proclamations of it's flawlessness. When a man walks up and rubs shards of broken glass in your eyes, then gives you a snippet of the explanation behind that action,then walks away and expects you to follow him, whilst his buddy hits you with a minivan ever few steps, you shouldn't fucking follow him on the off chance that he'll be a nice guy. You should get pissed off and call the cops.

P.S.
Please, do not say retard. As an autistic person, that offends me tremendously.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Team Fortress 2 as a medic.

Oddly enough, I play Spy all the time now, because relying on other people in pub matches is Not A Sound Strategy.