What was the last game that truly blew you away?

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
I just got Punch-out on my Virtual Console, and I was blown away that, with five buttons and a d-pad and what was one of the least powerful of the home consoles, they made a surprisingly amusing and enjoyable romp through beating up ethnic stereotypes.

Martenzo

Jan 12, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Martenzo said:
No game has ever really blown me away... But I can name some of the pleasant surprises: NWN2, Civ 4 and Star Wars: Republic Commando (Single player only. MP was like any other FPS, sadly)
I hate star wars as a movie franchise, but I must say i'm quite partial to Lucasarts games for it, and I fully agree with you. Republic commando was great. My only gripe was that it tied in with the films (not the good three, mind you) and that at times, the difficulty curve was crazy.
(ie. running out of bullets with all my guns when there's a massive force of drones near me right as i'm trying to deactivate a forcefield.
It wasn't that hard, IMHO. You just had to use the right weapons. Most of the time, the right weapon was pistol and melee attack, with the occasional grenade. Heck, melee attack was the only good attack against those darn shielded droids.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Martenzo said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Martenzo said:
No game has ever really blown me away... But I can name some of the pleasant surprises: NWN2, Civ 4 and Star Wars: Republic Commando (Single player only. MP was like any other FPS, sadly)
I hate star wars as a movie franchise, but I must say i'm quite partial to Lucasarts games for it, and I fully agree with you. Republic commando was great. My only gripe was that it tied in with the films (not the good three, mind you) and that at times, the difficulty curve was crazy.
(ie. running out of bullets with all my guns when there's a massive force of drones near me right as i'm trying to deactivate a forcefield.
It wasn't that hard, IMHO. You just had to use the right weapons. Most of the time, the right weapon was pistol and melee attack, with the occasional grenade. Heck, melee attack was the only good attack against those darn shielded droids.
I forget what difficulty i played it on, but in any case, I did finish it. Then you find out you were the recon unit for the full out assault in attack of the clones.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Bioshock, Oblivion, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect and Halo all are part of the 'blowing away' club.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
The last was Fallout 3, i played it and was just blown away. A few other games have done it, mainly rpg's as I just got so into them, and the scenery or story was just so awesome for me. For instance, the first time I saw it I spent half an hour in Knothole Glade enjoying the scenery. Damn games and their lack of ability to be scarily huge, would have spent weeks exploring the forest :(.

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
Warcraft 3 is a strange game that had it all as an RTS a brilliant community - millions of games - a brilliant world editor - came out 2003 and have yet to find a game that is able to hook me as an RTS more.

Assassins creed was diverse and a new experiance number 2 will knock ur socks off hopefully.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Last time was King's Bounty: The Legend. I played it through two times, 50 hours total, both times I was completely immersed for the duration. I can't wait for the expansion!

PartyMonkey

Jun 26, 2009
I am currently on my like 27th run of FFX I find that really pretty I can't help it. But I gotta say that Fallout 3 is really really good in all aspects of gameplay so Fallout 3 definatly.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
Fallout 3 point lookout, after playing the other 3 pieces of dlc having an actual world to screw around in rather than a rather linear addition just left me slightly flabbergasted and hoping for more.

Jun 8, 2009
Hmm, well, a game that literally blew me away was Halo 3... My main character spent half his time getting blown off map.

Mass effect. Fable managed it too. I can't say its sequel had the same effect on me though.

GeoPB

Jun 10, 2009
This thread seems like deja vu...

Oh well, my answer is Mass Effect or Call Of Duty 4's Nuclear bit.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
most recent game to blow me away... was Medieval II Total War. followed by Empire: Total war.
i feel so wrong for having missed out on Medieval II for as long as i did... thats ok. i bought the total war pack off steam so ive been having tons of fun with em.
previous games to blow me away... dawn of war 2... company of heroes... Left4Dead... thats about all for games to blow me away within the last year.

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
Tenchu Z is considered at most an average game but at the time I found it, it was exactly the game I needed to play. I enjoyed every moment of it across all three difficulties. I loved planning out a "perfect" mission for each level, like not ever being seen watching from wall tops for the right moments etc. Some missions you could really just run across in 30 seconds and be done but I played it with my own rules which added more to the experience for me. If not for gamefly, I'd never have even picked it up and missed out on a perfect little stealth game.