What Was What in Avengers

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008

MovieBob gives you the nitty gritty on the upcoming release The Avengers.

Read Full Article

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
CatmanStu said:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.
They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

Just a thought. :p

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. :mad:

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I absolutely loved Jim Starlin's work on Warlock in the 70s, when he reintroduced Thanos and pretty much defined what 'cosmic' meant in the Marvel Universe, so I will start drooling now with even the prospect of seeing something like that on the big screen. Even better if they got some arthouse lunatic like David Lynch to direct and let him stay true to the trippy 70s weirdness of it all.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Marvel has indicated that its next big wave of new movie franchises will be focused on cosmic/magic/outer-space characters.
Wow, the next wave sounds like its REALLY going to jump the shark. You know what people would love? The Hulk...IN SPAAAAAACE!!! This is going to narrow down the audience for the next series of Marvel movies by a huge margin...

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MovieBob said:

MovieBob gives you the nitty gritty on the upcoming release The Avengers.

Read Full Article
I really really hope this means I get an Adam Warlock movie

Ant Man, The Vision, Jack of Hearts, Ms. Marvel, and the Wasp movies would be good too

TheWonko

Oct 26, 2009
Marvel has indicated that its next big wave of new movie franchises will be focused on cosmic/magic/outer-space characters.
So, Beyonder, Doctor Strange, and Captain Mar-vell then? I'm up for at least one of those.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I thought there was a SECOND post-credits teaser for next time. Beyond the big-bad guy.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I guess the spoiler aspect of the column is what keeps this from being a "COMICS...ARE...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!" episode of Big Picture.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
Question now is, what is Thanos' movie history going to be? I wouldn't think they'll be content to just leave him as a generic big bad out to take over the galaxy, but at the same time I don't think Marvel is going to toss Death with breasts up on screen.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
irishda said:
Wow, the next wave sounds like its REALLY going to jump the shark. You know what people would love? The Hulk...IN SPAAAAAACE!!! This is going to narrow down the audience for the next series of Marvel movies by a huge margin...
Just get a spoon and read Planet Hulk.

(The spoon is to EAT YOUR WORDS!)

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Small nitpick: The origina story had NOTHING to do with the actual Gauntlet. That was just Thanos' glove. The gems are what mattered. He just attached it to his costume.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Xenominim said:
Question now is, what is Thanos' movie history going to be? I wouldn't think they'll be content to just leave him as a generic big bad out to take over the galaxy, but at the same time I don't think Marvel is going to toss Death with breasts up on screen.
Well, having Death be a hot girl wouldn't be totally out of line. DC did something similar. It should also be noted that Death really doesn't seem to be 'into' Thanos the same way he is obsessed with her, though they do work together. Death being kind of a neutral prescence compared to Thanos' malevolence.

That said Thanos is a bad choice for a villain because to really DO the character well you need to get into his head in a way that I don't think movies are capable of. What's more as a lynchpin they need to introduce Adam Warlock as the guy who actually represents his weak spot for... reasons I won't go into but are kind of predictable.

Simply put Thanos is a villain who by definition can never, ever, win. He's got the power, but the thing is that psycologically he wants to lose, he wants people to stop him, he intentionally sabotages himself and leaves blind spots. It took years to really explain this in the comics, and the entire "Infinity Gauntlet Saga" revolved around that premise, and it was that reveal along with how it had been forecast all along was one of the things that made the story such a classic. Through the entire thing you pretty much had Adam Warlock sitting around calmly watching heroes get pwned, and then galactic entities (including Eternity and the Celestrials) lose. The Celestrials even thowing planets at Thanos at one time. When it's over Warlock and Thanos have a big conversation on that point, and the basic conclusion is that it doesn't matter what he tries, he'll just lose again.

Without that there is no point to Thanos, that's the entire character in a nutshell.

Please note Adam Warlock, and Warlock (The alien from The New Mutants) are differant, the latter being better known for some reason.

I don't think a movie can really carry the whole "Emo kid's giant bid for attention because nobody loved him" on a cosmic scale, it just takes way too much build up.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Am i the only one who thought that the blue gem in Loki's staff was the blue mind gem? It explains them all freaking out in that one scene

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
irishda said:

Oh yeah I remember how super popular that movie was with everyone.

The point is the second wave sounds very niche marketed, and the movie's popularity is going to suffer. People are weird. They can accept things if someone in a lab coat stands there and says sciencey-stuff. But for some reason, introducing outer space and cosmo-magic generally tends to cull the audience down into the people that like that genre.

The fish-out-of-water, Earthling in space w/ magic trope hasn't worked for a very long time for larger audiences. Magic really only tends to work when it exists in a completely disconnected setting (a la Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/a couple other exceptions). I really think its gonna push these next batch of films down into the range of audiences that, as you said, "Read the comics".

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
irishda said:
Lono Shrugged said:
irishda said:

Oh yeah I remember how super popular that movie was with everyone.

The point is the second wave sounds very niche marketed, and the movie's popularity is going to suffer. People are weird. They can accept things if someone in a lab coat stands there and says sciencey-stuff. But for some reason, introducing outer space and cosmo-magic generally tends to cull the audience down into the people that like that genre.

The fish-out-of-water, Earthling in space w/ magic trope hasn't worked for a very long time for larger audiences. Magic really only tends to work when it exists in a completely disconnected setting (a la Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/a couple other exceptions). I really think its gonna push these next batch of films down into the range of audiences that, as you said, "Read the comics".
The film was stink because it was badly done, The concept is sound. The comic was Gladiator meets Spartacus with Hulk and monsters. If they did it right it could be amazing. My point is it's all about who does it and how well they do it. They pulled off the Avengers when ten years ago no one said it could be done. Anything is possible if done right.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Therumancer said:
Xenominim said:
Well, having Death be a hot girl wouldn't be totally out of line. DC did something similar. It should also be noted that Death really doesn't seem to be 'into' Thanos the same way he is obsessed with her, though they do work together. Death being kind of a neutral prescence compared to Thanos' malevolence.

That said Thanos is a bad choice for a villain because to really DO the character well you need to get into his head in a way that I don't think movies are capable of. What's more as a lynchpin they need to introduce Adam Warlock as the guy who actually represents his weak spot for... reasons I won't go into but are kind of predictable.

Simply put Thanos is a villain who by definition can never, ever, win. He's got the power, but the thing is that psycologically he wants to lose, he wants people to stop him, he intentionally sabotages himself and leaves blind spots. It took years to really explain this in the comics, and the entire "Infinity Gauntlet Saga" revolved around that premise, and it was that reveal along with how it had been forecast all along was one of the things that made the story such a classic. Through the entire thing you pretty much had Adam Warlock sitting around calmly watching heroes get pwned, and then galactic entities (including Eternity and the Celestrials) lose. The Celestrials even thowing planets at Thanos at one time. When it's over Warlock and Thanos have a big conversation on that point, and the basic conclusion is that it doesn't matter what he tries, he'll just lose again.

Without that there is no point to Thanos, that's the entire character in a nutshell.

Please note Adam Warlock, and Warlock (The alien from The New Mutants) are differant, the latter being better known for some reason.

I don't think a movie can really carry the whole "Emo kid's giant bid for attention because nobody loved him" on a cosmic scale, it just takes way too much build up.
The thing is, that element to thanos was relly only present in that one story arc, and to me at least, felt like an attempt to not only explain how mortals could conceivably beat the all knowing Thanos in that and other occasions, but others in the past that acheived similar stature (Dr. Doom with the beyonder's powers, or the rEd Skull with the cosimic cube). It's a great idea, but let's acknowledge that it was put in to explain how villans could be such dumbasses at times.

And honestly I think Thanos is just coming for the gem's purposes: 1) to have a highly powered maguffin to tie the movies together and elevate the threat of less epic villans, and 2) the raw fun and power a filmmaker can have with the first 3 issues of the infinity gauntlet (half the world's popularion vanishing + big devistating earthquake). Where the gems go, Thanos usually follows.