What was your favorite season of Blackadder?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Blackadder II has always been my favorite. I think it has the best cast and best time period. In Blackadder 1, Edmund is kind of dumb and silly and the show has a lot of bits that fall flat. Blackadder the Third, the prince is just too dumb, and Baldric is a little dumb for my taste too. I haven't rewatched the fourth season yet, but I remember not liking it as much as the second either.

I think the second has the perfect mix of wit and sillyness. Baldric isn't as smart as he was at first, but still has his moments. Lord Melchett, is a fun little rivalish character. The queen is psychotic, which is fun. And everybody just looks really good with a beard.

Worst part of the show is that season 2 is only 6 episodes long.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's been ages since I saw anything of Blackadder. Saw some of season 4 (and enjoyed it), and some of season 1 or 2, and...that's it. So I guess season 4?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I find myself torn between Blackadder II and Blackadder Goes Forth, since they're both rather brilliant for different reasons. I like BlackAdder the Third well enough - the Dictionary episode with Robbie Coltrane as Dr. Johnson is a hoot, as is the the episode with the Scarlet Pimpernel - but between Atkinson being at his cunning and devious best in II and the dark comedy that evolves into straight tragedy in Goes Forth it can seem a little lacking.

On the whole I'll give the overall enjoyment gong to Blackadder II, but in terms of finales, "Goodbyeeee" from Goes Forth is the best.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
This is a great topic with a simple answer from me: All. All of the Blackadder is best Blackadder.

Season 4 did have some serious gravitas.

Also the Blackadder Kweezmus Special is brilliant too.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How random that this topic came up. The 3rd series has the best episodes in my opinion. My favourite episode is The Dictionary episode. The worst seires is 1 by far - Ben Elton didn't write those and it shows. The other series are good.

I'd rank them... 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Rewatching 4 now, and it is really is a great season pretty close to being tied with 2 in my opinion. I never really enjoyed Tim McInnerny as Lord Percy, be he makes a great comeback as Captain Darling. On the other hand Melchett is far stupider than he was in 2, and is a bit more tedious to watch. Baldrick is about the same as he was in 3. George is about the same as in 3 but is slightly more tolerable as a lieutenant than prince.

But overall once again I am shocked and disappointed this show only got 4 seasons with a piddly 6 episodes each. It really is a travesty, but I guess it's better to end on a high note rather than drag it out until everybody is sick of the show.

My ranking would probably go 2>4>1>3. I just really didn't enjoy 3 all that much.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It's a British show- 6 episodes is par for the course. That's why the writing is generally such great quality, they are forced to distill it into a half-dozen excellent episodes, rather than dilute all the good stuff out among 13 episodes of mediocrity

Aug 31, 2012
Series 3. I like the time period, Hugh Laurie as George is great, Mrs Miggins, I remember far more episodes and lines of it.

2 was good, but I found Queenie a bit of an irritating character although Miranda Richardson did it well. It also feels a bit dated and looks unbelievably cheap, which it was given the BBC budgets at the time.

4 was a good series but I can't really remember episodes very well, just the odd scene. I think the setting put a bit of a downer on it for me.

1...eeesh,

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
All of them except 1. 1 has its moments but also has some absolutely diabolical writing.

It's mostly an absolute crime that there weren't more - series or episodes, I'd have happily had more of either. The Comic Relief specials just didn't have the same appeal.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I showed my American girlfriend the blackadder show. the first world war series she loved and understood . for the rest I can't say

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'd rate them 2-3-4-1. I don't know anyone who'd rank the first season other than the worst, but it's pretty tight between the first three.

I actually think perhaps 3 and 4 are possibly more sophisticated than 2, but I have nostalgia for Blackadder the Second as the first I saw.