What We Don't Know About Wonder Woman in Batman vs. Superman

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
What We Don't Know About Wonder Woman in Batman vs. Superman

Actress and Miss Israel 2004 Gal Gadot has been officially cast as Wonder Woman: Here's the questions that remain.

Read Full Article

Apr 17, 2009
The more I hear about this film the more it seems like Warner Bros and DC are just chucking ideas at a big wall to see what sticks. The problem with that is that they're going to have so many things stick that everything's going to collapse into a big puddingy mess.
Seriously guys, just plan ahead. Don't just chuck in Wonder Woman because strong female characters are In Right Now. Imagine if Marvel, who's cinematic universe you are so desperately trying to mimic, just chucked Squirrel Girl into the next Captain America movie because they need small and furry things to piggyback off the likes of Grumpy Cat.
...actually I kind of want to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And Squirrel Girl now...

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
'I'd like to think I can count on Snyder to at least keep the bare legs/shoulders and strapless low-neck chestplate look... but I wouldn't put money on it.'

See I want anything other than that. Given that DC seems to be going for psudo-realistic style with these I think it would just look out of place. I hoping for a red and silver Greek cuirass and greaves, that wayit shows of skin while still actually looking like military attire.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
People seem to be forgetting that actors do actually train for roles. I mean, Tom Hardy as Bane? Edward Norton in American History X? Whilst I'd be surprised if she does as much as the nerdrage demands, I definitely wouldn't take how she looks in F&F as much to go by.

Wonder Woman is Bella, Superman is Edward, Batman is Jacob
Also, don't scare me like that. That's such a fucking horrendous idea.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
It would be such a shame if they streamlined Wonder Woman's origin after the New 52 reboot spent so much time giving her not only a different birth, but also a story so much more steeped in Greek mythology than before.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Whether she's too thin isn't my problem. My problem is she has all the body language of an awkward teenager unsure of her own body. I can take someone too skinny, to short, too not-Greek, whatever, as long as they carry themselves the way they should. Wonder Woman stands tall and doesn't afraid of anything. Gal Gadot has the timid posture of someone who's been lured to an illicit photoshoot and told to take off her shirt.

Also, on an unrelated note. Escapist? Can you do something about about the captcha images? Mine was a picture of a Mastercard with a question in what I think was Norwegian. I had to keep giving it wrong answers until it finally just asked me to enter the following: "charm offensive." What the actual fuck?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't really care about the casting. I think there are better options? Yes. But I don't think any of the objections are insurmountable. I believe there are a lot of competent people working in the movie that can make Miss Gadot look like Wonder Woman if they are given the liberty to work on it. Remember how many people complained about Ledger being the Joker? or how people reacted to Bale being Batman (whose previous movie, The Machinist, left him in a, lets say, sub optimal physical condition for the role)?

What does worry me is the lack of focus we are seeing on the production of this film. I am not an iota surprised if this was supposed to be a blink-and-you-miss-it wink/cameo/easter egg that set up the sequel (the same way the Wayne logo was on the previous one), but someone couldn't keep his mouth shut and the casting was leaked on the Internet. I would not be amazed of similar cameos ending up being revealed later for casting options for Barry Allen or Hal Jordan.

I would not be surprised if, because of all the press attention, the script is now back to the drawing board because what started as "Superman 2" evolved into "Superman vs Batman" and now has to be "Superman vs Batman and Wonder Woman" and will finally grow up into a fully fleshed Justice League movie, with all this development being unknown to anyone but people like us, that followed the news about the movie since it was in pre-production. In other words, what worries me is the same it worries me since the it became apparent the only reason WB greenlighted this is because they realized Disney made a bazillion dollars with a lot of B-team, while they are sitting on a, presumably, bigger property; but they, simply, have no plan to explode it. They are acting like a headless chicken, and that gives me no confidence on the project.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Also, don't scare me like that. That's such a fucking horrendous idea.
... I kinda of wouldn't mind :p The Batman/Wonderwoman romance was pretty good in the Justice League Animated and I still think the DCAU canonical first meeting of Batman and Superman where Batman immediately starts hitting on Louis Lane was pretty funny and kind of cool.

If they got DCAU talented writers it'd be fun (and help the superhero-action-fatigue) if they got twilight level writers... less so

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
That MMA Chick From Haywire
Gina Carano. I dig why Bob went with the mental shorthand but she's got a name. More to the point, she's got the look for Wonder Woman, and the training. I can't figure why they went with Twiggy, for all the reasons already mentioned but eh. More power to her if she pulls it off, I suppose.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
Well, as long as her origin isn't taken from "The New 52!", I'll be fine.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Elijah Newton said:
That MMA Chick From Haywire
Gina Carano. I dig why Bob went with the mental shorthand but she's got a name. More to the point, she's got the look for Wonder Woman, and the training. I can't figure why they went with Twiggy, for all the reasons already mentioned but eh. More power to her if she pulls it off, I suppose.
Yeah, I'd thought Carrano was a really solid bet for Wonder Woman as well. After Haywire especially, she's shown she's got at least some acting chops, as well as her already-established action skills. Moreover, while I don't think Gadot's build is necessarily absolutely terrible for Wonder Woman, Carrano looks like an athlete.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Jesus, Bob! Don't give these people anymore bad ideas! They got enough as it is! -_-

The casting of Wonder Woman, to me at least, holds a lot of the same questions Bob brought up and not just the "she's too skinny" complaint.

Is she a capable actress? I'm guessing "not really" since being a former beauty pageant winner and co-star in the Fast and Furious movies doesn't build confidence in that department.

What will her role be? It seems likely she'll be a minor role like Sam Jackson's Nick Fury unless Warner Brothers decides it wants to make this into the superhero threesome (mind out of the gutters, boys) that is World's Finest or Trinity. If that happens to be the case than its just another example of them pulling something out of their asses at the last minute just to beat Marvel/Disney at their own game. Plus it also pisses off the fanbase since Wonder Woman is becoming a side character rather than getting her own movie, so its a no win situation for these fuckwits.

Finally, there is that one question that should be in bold capital letters "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MOVIE SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT?!?" It just feels like they're trying to pump this up to such a grand level that maybe, at least in their minds, it will overshadow the flaws of Man of Steel and the possible flaws this sequel/spinoff may be brewing. I hate to burst your bubble, DC/WB, but just because you put tons of whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles on a bowl of shit, it doesn't mean the final product will make it taste like chocolate ice cream.

I should also point out that Fox and Sony, who are still clinging to their respective Marvel franchises like it was the only life preserver on a sinking ship, is planning to make their own cinematic universe.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/180639-fox-hires-simon-kinberg-to-create-marvel-style-universe-for-x-men-fantastic-four

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/180463-sony-pictures-planning-spider-man-spin-offs

WOW! Fucking jealous much, guys?!

Again, not to piss on their self-congratulating parade, but the big difference between the house of mouse ideas and the three studios in question is that Marvel Studios had a plan since day one. While it may had to be tweaked at certain points, they made sure that this was a well calculated risk that paid off in the end. Disney was just in the right place to purchase the company since they were looking to cash in on the male demo market. And thank God for that, otherwise they'd have to fall back on Pixar and their "comedy" shows like Dog With a Blog.

Fox, Warner Brothers, and Sony, on the other hand, seem to be writing ideas on Post-It Notes, sticking them on a wall, tossing a dart or two, and wherever it lands becomes their next move. Once again, Hollywood is still using the time-honored tradition of "follow the leader" without understanding what made the success of said leader work. Perhaps its time for Marvel to either offer some consolation for Fox and Sony to make their movies better or just use some of Disney's capital and legal muscle to take the properties back before both studios fuck things up beyond repair.

As for DC/WB, unless Disney has some extra cash lying around to buy the DC Universe, it might be time to take this old company out to the woodshed and put two deer slugs in the back of its head. Because every bit of news coming from the comic book company and their movie studio is not winning hearts and minds. More like pissing everyone off to the point where I would not be surprised if Dan Didio got crucified at next year's Comic Con.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Skip her origin all together. Have her brush it off as, "It's complicated," or something like that. If you don't know who Wonder Woman is, oh well. The reason I say this is because origin stories are always so boring. Most of the movie is spent with the hero trying to figure himself--or herself in this case--out, and by the time they do decide to be a hero, the movie is almost over and we get really only one scene of them being a hero. The fact that she is going to have to share screen time with Batman and Superman is not going to leave any time to discuss where she came from. Not if they don't want this movie to become a convoluted mess.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Here's what I'm expecting based on all the teasing done in Man of Steel and something I think people have forgotten about or missed entirely... Kara Zor El.

Her presences was teased in Man of Steel and the prequel comic to Man of Steel focused entirely on her and how she ended up on Earth. During the scene when Kal El is on the Kryptonian ship there's an open pod that is empty and the military's date for how long the ship had buried in the ice lined up pretty well with the comic. It's fairly obvious Kara Zor El was on that ship and got free at some point, perhaps suffering from memory loss due to the crash or being in suspended animation for so long.

I'm thinking the world is going to be on edge knowing there is a god like being called Superman running free and worrying about that possibility of another attack from alien forces. Lex Luthor will obviously be doing what Bob detailed in his article making issues far worse than they already were. This is when Kara's presence will be made through some sort of accident or act of heroism which will send many into a panic and catch not only Superman's attack but Batman as well.

Kal El is obviously going to be interested in keeping his distant cousin alive and helping her adapt to life on Earth but Bruce is going to see nothing but danger. I'm sure some of you are realizing I'm referencing a story line from the Justice League animated series by this point and already know where I'm going with this but for those who don't I'll carry on.

Kara will be the issue that Superman and Batman find themselves on opposite sides of. Superman will think she can lead a normal life and isn't a threat while Batman will obviously think the total opposite. Kara will obviously have issues adjusting as powers sometimes get out of control prompting a minor battle between Batman and Superman as Batman believes he has to do what must be done.

Enter Wonder Woman, the Amazonian Princess making contact with man for the first time and acting as an emissary from Themyscira. Obviously the appearance of Superman and now Kara will be what prompted this contact and Wonder Woman will offer to take Kara under her wing bringing her back to Themyscira to train her and teach her how to hone her skills. Batman will find this to be acceptable as she'll be away from normal people and Superman will reluctantly agree.

From there it could go anywhere with Lex being outed as the big bad or, what I personally hope for, is there will be someone else being the major bad guy and Lex is behind the scenes pulling the strings. Batman can't prove anything but he knows Lex is behind it all kind of deal.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Skip her origin all together. Have her brush it off as, "It's complicated," or something like that. If you don't know who Wonder Woman is, oh well. The reason I say this is because origin stories are always so boring. Most of the movie is spent with the hero trying to figure himself--or herself in this case--out, and by the time they do decide to be a hero, the movie is almost over and we get really only one scene of them being a hero. The fact that she is going to have to share screen time with Batman and Superman is not going to leave any time to discuss where she came from. Not if they don't want this movie to become a convoluted mess.
Actually, that would be the interesting thing about Wonder Woman's origin. I don't know her current origin since the reboot in the comics, but her original story was basically the queen of the amazons says "The world is almost ready for us to come out of hiding, so let's send our strongest warrior out to be a hero and help them get used to us." You could cover that quite quickly without all that needing to discover herself stuff. She already knows who she is and what she's trying to do from the moment she goes out. Hell, you could do it as a ten minute flash back. The simplicity of it would be refreshing.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Actually, that would be the interesting thing about Wonder Woman's origin. I don't know her current origin since the reboot in the comics, but her original story was basically the queen of the amazons says "The world is almost ready for us to come out of hiding, so let's send our strongest warrior out to be a hero and help them get used to us." You could cover that quite quickly without all that needing to discover herself stuff. She already knows who she is and what she's trying to do from the moment she goes out. Hell, you could do it as a ten minute flash back. The simplicity of it would be refreshing.
Or, best case scenario, go the Thor route and make it as visually ridiculous and fantastical as possible. I'd love to see a romanticized fantasy adventure type film involving Wonder Woman.