What We Don't Know About Wonder Woman in Batman vs. Superman

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
And now they're finding a way to cram Wonder Woman into what is already a blatant attempt to follow the The Avenger's coattails? Am I the only one who thinks that DC is in such a rush to get JLA out the door that it's like they're blowing their load before they even put it in? Seriously, DC, at least warm us up with some foreplay like Marvel did.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
While an attractive woman and being able to do much of her own stunt work is a plus I still kind of hoped for something a bit more like Justice League the New Frontier where Amazons were big gals. But I guess you do hit a problem of where do you find a woman that tall and with the charisma to pull off the part?

Although it's possible she could pull it all off. The different take on the Joker worked because they had young actor with the skills to pull it off. I even like where they are going with the Flash on Arrow. But then on the other side of the coin is blah dull and boring like the current Lois Lane so DC has been rather hit and miss when it comes to live action characters.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
It's funny how many times Bob manages to squeeze in a gripe about the armoured Batman costumes of the last decade.
I don't think I've read a single article related to Batman where he hasn't groused about it in one way or another.

I personally loved those suits design.

Would I like to see Ben Affleck in something a bit different?

Sure, I would. If they decided to make his costume more like something of the cloth depicted in the comics or in the Animated Series, I'd hope they do it justice and make it look like it could actually protect him to some degree, not just look like a crappy t-shirt.

But, back on topic...

Not entirely sure about the casting, but then again, I'm not very familiar with the actress. As for her figure/image/ etc, I'm sure she'll be able to find a personal trainer in LA.

That said, I'm still on the 'meh' side of the fence about the whole project.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
The discussion of whether or not she is too thin isn't really "body snarking" per se, and it is a perfectly legitimate discussion to have. Gal Gadot is gorgeous as she is. What she is not is a 6 foot amazon that could go toe to toe with Superman in strength that has the physical presence of someone who has spent ages constantly training as a sword wielding warrior maiden.

Just as Tyler Perry would not look the part in a George Washington documentary, but that doesn't have anything to do with acting skills or who he is as a whole. He just doesn't look the part.

IMO Warner Brothers is prepping for a colossal blunder casting Wonder Woman as cute eye candy in her first time in films rather than a capable and respectably strong (physically and in presence) female role model.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Bit of a cock up. They are putting all their eggs in one basket. If the BvS fails, then so does their idea of a Justice League movie. The good thing Marvel did was let you get to know their characters in their own movies, thus making Avengers awesome. If they had rushed it the viewers wouldnt give a crap about Thor or Captain America because we wouldnt know who they are.

There will always be a market for Batman, he is popular. They did ok with Man Of Steel, but that wasnt a massive success and i would have liked another Man of Steel movie to see more of that character. Wonder Woman, well she hasnt been in much, there was a tv show. She needs her own movie to get her background and what makes her tick. Or is she just going to be eye candy? Then the Flash had a shitty movie and Martian Manhunter not been in any live action movie.

Just feels like they are using the popularity of Batman to force this thing along instead of allowing the characters to live in their own rights. Imagine the movie will be called Batman and the Justice League.

ArmorKingBaneGief

Mar 19, 2012
Oh my gosh, they've casted a new Wonder Woman. And she looks like I could run a towel under the water faucet, put it on her chest, and pin her to the ground while she struggles uselessly to throw it off of her and stand up.

But hey, actors change themselves all the time. I don't know, man. All I know is, I'm so happy they're cancelling the Lobo film, since they obviously wouldn't understand why Th' Main Man rules the goddamn universe. God, they were seriously talking about The Rock as Lobo.

Can you imagine?

Chad Tindale

May 1, 2013
As to her body, don't get too attached to it as is. First, watch the behind the scenes of Man of Steel, and watch Cavill's jump from buff to can-man-get-that-buff?. But Cavill wasn't the only one to undergo this transformation. Faora-Ui, played by Antje Trau, also did the get buff thing. And she was under armor the whole movie. I love this little detail in films (not that Man of Steel was a great film) but this one detail was right. There's almost nothing that pisses me off in a movie more than action stars who've never thrown a punch in their life. Buffy went on for seven seasons and nobody showed Mrs. Prince Jr. how to slug someone. This, interestingly, is also circumvented in Wonder Woman choices... In addition to being Ms. Israel, she was also in the Israeli army for two years, which is mandatory, but I'll bet she knows how to fight, at least a little bit. That, to me, makes her a better choice than 90% of suggestions. Including my own suggestion... Which would be Missi Pyle. If she got the Man of Steel workout and was shown how to punch... She'd be awesome.

As to the costume, I've learned to trust modern costumers (unless they're also graphic designers [green lantern]). The X-men costumes, the Bat suits, the Thor upgrade, even Captain America's suit. All magically faithful and yet tasteful. I have a feeling it'll reflect thematic style choices of her character, because they've gotten better about that. If they go greek/roman, she'll probably have a greek/roman look. If they go alien, they'll go alien. But function will probably be a large contributing factor, as they've been doing lately. armor when they need it, and no armor when they don't. I'm gonna trust them for the next few years until they break that trust (or reignite green lantern).

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
MovieBob said:
... while covertly building nasty stuff (like power-armor) out of salvaged Kryptonian tech and sewing mistrust against Superman...
Sewing mistrust? Does this involve some evil seamstress who strategically puts weak stitching in Superman's costume so that it falls apart at the most embarrassing moments?

wuggles

May 3, 2013
Personally I agree with Moviebob, I think Wonder WOman might have a bigger role in this movie than I previously thought. Otherwise they might've just had a stand in wear the costume for a post-credits stinger, or else not reveal it at all. About the origin story, I remember hearing that some DC executive said that the whole Greek mythology thing would be too complicated for audiences (which is silly, I mean the 2010 Clash of the Titans made like half a billion dollars, its entire plot was about Greek mythology and nobody would call that movie complicated). So I wouldn't be shocked if it gets changed to some generic alien backstory.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
I suppose if they can make Edward Norton look like the Incredible Hulk, they'll find a way to make this little girl look like Wonder Woman.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
mjharper said:
It would be such a shame if they streamlined Wonder Woman's origin after the New 52 reboot spent so much time giving her not only a different birth, but also a story so much more steeped in Greek mythology than before.
Yes, this is actually the one time I didn't mind the changes made by the reboot. Making WW a demigoddess seems much more in-line with Greek mythology and I think it would be easier to translate to film as well.

speccy4i

Feb 11, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
People seem to be forgetting that actors do actually train for roles. I mean, Tom Hardy as Bane? Edward Norton in American History X? Whilst I'd be surprised if she does as much as the nerdrage demands, I definitely wouldn't take how she looks in F&F as much to go by.
And lets not forget Christian Bale was in the Machinist before Batman Begins.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I think the whole idea about Luthor building business and hatred for "the alien" would do well for the movie. If they want to put Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman into the same movie, they might have to add a bigger enemy. For example, it would be really cool if it was like Villains United in that Lex was behind a group of villains. I think it would even be better if they know that Luthor is behind all the problems but they can't prove it. The chances of this story actually happening is low because I said it on the internet, but one can dream...

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Whether she's a good choice aside, I find it humorous that Bob chose those stills of her. Gotta get those clicks.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
On WW. Gwendoline Christie is who i would have been trying to woo for the role.

She is gorgeous, big and strong and capable. Perfect for WW. Just dye her hair black.

Knife

Mar 20, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Sewing mistrust? Does this involve some evil seamstress who strategically puts weak stitching in Superman's costume so that it falls apart at the most embarrassing moments?
Well, you know what they say - "You rip what you sew".

Sounds like the movie is going to be burning shambles.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
WWmelb said:
On WW. Gwendoline Christie is who i would have been trying to woo for the role.

She is gorgeous, big and strong and capable. Perfect for WW. Just dye her hair black.
If DC try to include the New Gods (which I imagine they will in order to have Darkseid show up), then she would make a cool Barda.

Personally, my biggest issue with the casting is how young this girl looks. I'm worried she'll come across as the tag-along kid next to the guys they've got as Supes and Bats.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This is probably the first semi-positive thing I've heard in relation to the Wonder Woman casting.

That being said, I have no confidence in this project. It seems like DC doesn't even like DC right now. Bob even points out that they don't seem to have any sort of plan. It's like they have a dart board with "Ideas" on it, and just throwing darts to see what sticks.

In comparison, Marvel seems to have some basic outline all the way up to Avengers 3.

Which franchise do you have more confidence in?

As far as the casting, I can't say that I have any strong opinions on her one way or the other. But I can say that I am disappointed as this makes the Superman movie seem bloated and seems to be trying to take attention off Superman. And even off Batman. I could see ways this could work, but announcing that they cast Wonder Woman makes me fear those possible moves are now impossible. They'll want to make something of the character which I think would be a disservice to her and the stars of this film.

Now, if they made this movie focus on Superman, but gave us a minor cameo of Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince in the film, that would work. Building up to the eventual Justice League movie and giving us a Wonder Woman movie and maybe a new Batman movie.

Or they could really blow our minds, and make Batman a sort of Nick Fury character. It would establish him as the brains of the team to have him working to bring together the League as there is a threat looming that they can't face alone, and he knows only a team could beat. And then, they could give us a Flash movie, too. Maybe a Martian Manhunter movie. And bring them all together in a Justice League movie combating the threat that Batman detected (without ever having a Batman movie).

Seriously doubt that is the route they are taking, though.