What we Watchin? Film review by Morsomk: [S]Life of Pi[/S]

morsomk

The Shape of Water was the worst movie of 2017.
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Hell
Country
Cold
Morsomk presents: What we Watchin?​

An exercise in futility by a senior film student dispassionate about his film degree.​

---​

Directed by: Ang Lee
Produced by: Gil Netter, Ang Lee, David Womark
Screenplay by: David Magee
Based on: Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Starring: Suraj Sharma, Irrfan Khan, Tabu, Adil Hussain, Rafe Spall.
Music By: Mychael Danna
Cinematography by: Claudio Miranda
Edited By: Tim Squyres
---
Release Date: September 28th, 2012
Running time: 127 minutes.
Language: English, Tamil, French
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy

---

Hey, hey people, ᛗᛟᚱᛊᛟᛗᚴ here. First review that I'll probably scrub up to look a bit nice on the first post. I should preface that if you're trying to find some quality reviews, then you should probably throw all expectations out the window. I'm no lyricists and neither do I write that much. That being said, I thought I'd give this a try and see what would come out of it.

Today we'll try to give this movie a view and see what all the fuzz was about 7-8 years ago. But before we do that, I thought I would give you guys a bit of a brief info into my knowledge when it comes to films. I am not the biggest film nut on this forum, I can tell you that much, heck I haven't even gone and checked out the Criterion Collection or neither could I tell you about a single film on that collection. I barely watch movies on the regular and I'm probably the biggest bore when it comes to the subject of even describing a particular film. But what I can tell you is that I've been a film student for the last three years of my life and that it has been an insane wild ride. I've been part of numerous productions, helped edit a number of films and one of the films I worked on got selected for a local film festival. We didn't win, but we all had a good laugh about it. Now, lets get this ball rolling.

"Life of Pi" is a dramatic movie featuring Suraj Sharma and Irrfan Khan(playing the same character) as the titular character "Pi", who explains his life's journey to a writer about his early life in India, to his childhood of discovering spirituality. The adolescent years of love and the extreme physical, mental trauma of surviving a shipwreck while sharing a lifeboat with a tiger. Despite my simplistic description of this narrative, the movie does not skimp over the events to go straight into the main narrative of man vs tiger on a boat. The narrative is quite literally being descriped to you by the older Pi about his formative years to be able to get you to understand his mindset of the main character, so that you can fully understand who he is and his mindset.

Also, by the time I'm writing this, we just finished watching The Last Temptation of Christ.

WHAT

THE

FUCK WAS THAT MOVIE?!!!!!
WE DOING REVIEW OF THAT NOW!!!!!

Morsomk presents: Watch this movie!

----

Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Produced by: Barbara De Fina
Screenplay by: Paul Scrader
Based on: The Last Tempation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis
Starring: Willem Dafoe, Harvey Keitel, Barbara Hershey, Harry Dean Stanton, David Bowie
Music by: Peter Gabriel
Cinematography by: Micheal Ballhaus
Edited by: Thelma Schoonmaker
---
Release date: August 12, 1988
Running time: 163 minutes
Language: English
Genre: Drama, Low Fantasy

---

"Mother Angelica, a Catholic nun and founder of Eternal Word Television Network,
described Last Temptation as "the most blasphemous ridicule of the Eucharist that's ever been perpetrated in this world"

"A holocaust movie that has the power to destroy souls eternally."​

The most controversial movie of the last century.

The movie that the church didn't want you to watch.

And it's completely
K
I
N
O

That's right! The movie is a complete masterpiece. Martin Scorsese was absolutely bootyblasting everybody way before even all of ya'll were even born and he made it look gooooooooooood. His portrayal of the holy spirit through the flesh of masterclass actor Willem Dafoe, is only the kind of move you could pull of as a level 1 million director on this mortal plane we live on. The fact that people were outraged by this only highlights how much of a complete pederast the general public were at the time of this release.

This is the type of movie that shakes you to the very core. When I finished watching it, I was quivering in fear for I could not believe what my eyes had peered upon. How could somebody make something like this? How on earth did they film the shot between David Bowie and David Foe? It's a fact that the actual film would burn apart just from trying to capture a scene between two demigods. They were right when they said that the world would not be ready for a movie of this calibre. IT BROKE NEW GROUNDS!!!!!!!

Ok, since we got that out of our system. Lets actually talk about the movie. The movie is actually very slow and there are some types of outdated shot that are actually really hard to keep a straight face while seeing them. There's a lot of a semi-extreme zoom in shots that are more hilarious than the actual serious dramatic tone of the film. Other than that, the film is still pretty gorgeous. There are some really excellent shots in the movie that really highlight the beauty of the Morocco mountains.

I personally think the music might be the biggest highlight of the movie. It's kinda hard to describe it actually... It has that sort of middle eastern cultural tone to, but hidden behind it you can sort of feel a smidge of an 80s influence. The outtrack is a ten outta ten tho.

Story wise, it's a pretty ballsy move to consider the idea of trying to showcase a mythical figure like Jesus Christ as more of a man than some kind of a saint. The way Judas was also portrayed was a complete surprise as well, considering that he's always portrayed as the ultimate betrayer, with a scheming personality and a heart of greed. But Judas in this movie is the ultimate bro, acting as the anchor for Jesus occasional naive personality. I was also surprised at how Satan wasn't portrayed as an obvious evil entity in symbolic way but more as the most easiest and human like temptations that most people would fall for.

While this is more on the joke side of a review, I actually do highly recommend this movie.

Final score: 9.5/10

Attachments

Last edited:

morsomk

The Shape of Water was the worst movie of 2017.
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Hell
Country
Cold
Also, I tried so fucking hard to make this look nice, but the coding on this website is fucking bonkers to be honest.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Bro, did you see that goddamn ending, though? The end was so good the film reel itself exploded, hot damn!

EDIT: The Peter Gabriel soundtrack is great too. All the more interesting is that it came smack in the middle of his most accessible era, and you can hear that "80s" sound, namely in the percussion, which sometimes brings to mind that "gated reverb" sound typical of the era. I'd say it's the peak of his experimentation with world music, and a splendid album in its own right.

Last edited:

Latif

Apr 13, 2020
Country
Arabicastan
I do like, in this obviously Christian film, half of the chants within this movie venerate Allah and his prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). I wonder what Scorsese meant by this?

blahtest

Apr 3, 2020
Also, I tried so fucking hard to make this look nice, but the coding on this website is fucking bonkers to be honest.
It's definitely still readable! But Sneed's image is the golden child of a picture is worth a thousand words!