What Weird Quirks/Habits Do You Escapists Have?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I cross my legs while I'm standing. No, not at the ankles or shins. I basically form a "T" with my legs, with one nearly parallel to the ground, and crossing the other just above the kneecap. I don't always do it, but if I'm standing in one place long enough I'll usually have a few minutes where my legs are crossed like that. It originally started just as a challenge to myself, to see how long I could keep my balance like that. Then it just became habit.

Canadamus Prime said:
I sometimes walk with one arm behind my back. I've had people ask me if my back was sore because of it. Nope, that's just how I walk sometimes.
I've done that a few times myself, but my own variation ends up with my hand more or less scratching that side's shoulderblade. This means that my arm was tucked close to the side, and you couldn't see anything past the elbow. Why do I tell you this? Well, because once in college I stumbled across an acquaintance while doing this...he was quite horrified when he noticed and asked what had happened to my arm. Apparently he thought I'd lost it from the elbow down.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Asita said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I sometimes walk with one arm behind my back. I've had people ask me if my back was sore because of it. Nope, that's just how I walk sometimes.
I've done that a few times myself, but my own variation ends up with my hand more or less scratching that side's shoulderblade. This means that my arm was tucked close to the side, and you couldn't see anything past the elbow. Why do I tell you this? Well, because once in college I stumbled across an acquaintance while doing this...he was quite horrified when he noticed and asked what had happened to my arm. Apparently he thought I'd lost it from the elbow down.
That's kinda funny actually.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I feel compelled to make things even and match. If there is a stack of soda/beer cases four high and one that's two high it will bug the hell out of me if I don't make the two stacks even (or as even a possible). And it would drive me crazy if I see a mismatched display, like if one of the boxes is upside down or the reverse side of the box is facing outward (messing up the combined image). I feel compelled to fix it.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
While I don't think it classes as a 'quirk' I don't have any real social media garbage. No Twitter, no Facebook, and beyond the online university community groups I have to belong to to co-ordinate with other researchers and accessing online resources, I'm fairly 'isolated' electronically. I keep my private, financial and professional lives seperate. I don't mix the three... I don't like the idea of mixing them too much.

It's like asking for trouble. But I don't think it classes as a 'quirk'.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Whenever someone asks me a question I can't answer, I make a short smacky clicking sound with my tongue, similar to a 'tsk', before telling them I don't know. Most people can tell from my body language and tone of voice that I'm expressing minor frustration at my own inability to answer their question, but I'va had some interpret it as irritation at being asked something.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
i try not to view things in terms of weird and normal. I do loads of things which might not be considered socially acceptable. If you think people in your life are normal, then you undoubtedly have not spent any time getting to know the abnormal side of them.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
When I pour cereal into a bowl I always flatten them with my knuckles prior to pouring on the milk. I only noticed this when my son, at age 1,5 started doing the same thing to his cereal and realized he got it from me. Now it is a habits of his too and he gets angry if you pour the milk before he has had a chance to flatten the cereal in his bowl...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Two come to my mind-

When it come to thoe neapolitan ice cream, I ALWAYS mixed the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate icecream together!

I always used the forks on my right hand including in those formal dinner party when the forks are place on the left side! I just find it awkward using my left hand as the fork hand to the point!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Xprimentyl said:
Another "tick" of mine regards adhesive barcode labels on cigarette lighters. I'm a smoker (bad life choice, I know,) and whenever I see a lighter, I have to peel the little adhesive label off of it. My friends all know this about me, so they're in the habit of surrendering their new lighters to me for peeling even before I ask; that, or they'll stare blankly at me until I realize an unpeeled lighter is in plain view. One friend in particular has made a game out of it; he'll buy a new lighter, show it to me and bets I can't get it from him and peel it by the end of the night. I'll wait, I'll watch, and after a few drinks, he's a little less vigilant, and that's when I strike. I've got a 100% success rate so far; that's either a testament to my relentlessly obsessive behavior or his clockwork functioning alcoholism...
same here. Also with dvd/videogame/CD cases though

The last quirk I'll admit before turning this thread over to you lot is my staunch aversion to the condiments ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. I don't just dislike them; I loathe them in the way one might loathe feces. Oddly enough, it's been over 30 years since I've had them, so I can't begin to tell you what they even taste like, but I CAN tell you I will never, in this life or the next, willingly put them in my mouth. It likely stems back to my childhood when my mom would take me to a fast food restaurant and try to order me a plain hamburger (this is before "plain" was a common menu option;) they'd invariably get it wrong, and I'd get a burger gushing with that yellow and/or red spunk. My mom would simply "scrap it off" despite my saying I could still taste it (it soaks into the fucking bun, for Christ's sake;) I'd protest, cry, but she'd make me eat it anyway. Little does she know the "damage" she's done; as an adult, I can't even look at that shit without visibly turning my nose up.
You heathen of the scorched skeletal glasslands...how dost thou swallow food dry as the ghost of Thatcher's dead cunny?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I grab a toothpick when I leave a restaurant and chew on it. I don't really need it, but I just always grab one and slowly nibble on it for whatever reason.

Haven't done it in a while, now that I think about it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Xsjadoblayde said:
Xprimentyl said:
Another "tick" of mine regards adhesive barcode labels on cigarette lighters. I'm a smoker (bad life choice, I know,) and whenever I see a lighter, I have to peel the little adhesive label off of it. My friends all know this about me, so they're in the habit of surrendering their new lighters to me for peeling even before I ask; that, or they'll stare blankly at me until I realize an unpeeled lighter is in plain view. One friend in particular has made a game out of it; he'll buy a new lighter, show it to me and bets I can't get it from him and peel it by the end of the night. I'll wait, I'll watch, and after a few drinks, he's a little less vigilant, and that's when I strike. I've got a 100% success rate so far; that's either a testament to my relentlessly obsessive behavior or his clockwork functioning alcoholism...
same here. Also with dvd/videogame/CD cases though
Oh, I?m a general label-peeling machine, too. Pretty much no label escapes my wrath; I just mentioned lighters because they come up most often since my friends have noted it and actively support my ?habit.? They can?t seem to keep track of a lighter for longer than an hour, so there?s rarely a shortage of new ones at our table.

The last quirk I'll admit before turning this thread over to you lot is my staunch aversion to the condiments ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. I don't just dislike them; I loathe them in the way one might loathe feces. Oddly enough, it's been over 30 years since I've had them, so I can't begin to tell you what they even taste like, but I CAN tell you I will never, in this life or the next, willingly put them in my mouth. It likely stems back to my childhood when my mom would take me to a fast food restaurant and try to order me a plain hamburger (this is before "plain" was a common menu option;) they'd invariably get it wrong, and I'd get a burger gushing with that yellow and/or red spunk. My mom would simply "scrap it off" despite my saying I could still taste it (it soaks into the fucking bun, for Christ's sake;) I'd protest, cry, but she'd make me eat it anyway. Little does she know the "damage" she's done; as an adult, I can't even look at that shit without visibly turning my nose up.
You heathen of the scorched skeletal glasslands...how dost thou swallow food dry as the ghost of Thatcher's dead cunny?
Them?s fightin? words! This is like ?Unbreakable? wherein the universe has balanced my aversion at nigh unto the genetic level for the culinary equivalents of blood, infected mucus and jizz with someone for whom said condiments are the essence life itself. I am the Samuel L. Jackson to your Bruce Willis. And your colorful imagery of ?the ghost of Thatcher?s dried cunny? notwithstanding (I literally laughed out loud,) there are plenty of options and alternative besides the Unholy Trinity. I do like hot sauces, vinegar-based salad dressings, the occasional barbecue sauce (though I prefer dry rubs,) and thanks to Yahtzee, I?m a fan of Branston Pickle; was thrilled when I found it State-side at a high-priced grocery store.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Xprimentyl said:
Oh, I'm a general label-peeling machine, too. Pretty much no label escapes my wrath; I just mentioned lighters because they come up most often since my friends have noted it and actively support my "habit." They can't seem to keep track of a lighter for longer than an hour, so there's rarely a shortage of new ones at our table.
labels are a great way to ruin a shiny smooth surface
Them's fightin' words! This is like "Unbreakable" wherein the universe has balanced my aversion at nigh unto the genetic level for the culinary equivalents of blood, infected mucus and jizz with someone for whom said condiments are the essence life itself. I am the Samuel L. Jackson to your Bruce Willis. And your colorful imagery of "the ghost of Thatcher's dried cunny" notwithstanding (I literally laughed out loud,) there are plenty of options and alternative besides the Unholy Trinity. I do like hot sauces, vinegar-based salad dressings, the occasional barbecue sauce (though I prefer dry rubs,) and thanks to Yahtzee, I'm a fan of Branston Pickle; was thrilled when I found it State-side at a high-priced grocery store.
well that's far more acceptable, for a second there I feared the worst, as an acquaintance of mine eats everything of theirs completely dry, even the driest of dry chicken, no matter how often I voice my disgust and sincerest concerns for their consumptuous comfort. To think there could be more than one human alive with such a debilitating habit is quite disturbing indeed. Can't have nought moist, though vinegar is not consumable, it is a punishment squeezed from the bowels of an IBS-diagnosed Satan after an adventurous curry night ;)

Captain Chemosh

Sep 5, 2011
Well, I have a few I'll share. I subconsciously chew my finger nails until the point of bleeding and despite many efforts to curb this (hot sauce, paprika, soap, etc. applied to said fingers) I've only ever managed to grow them out if I'm out camping because they'll invariably get dirty and I despise dirt or by putting bandages on my fingertips, which doesn't work when I'm outside of my home as I get too many questions.
I only have a single social media account proper (facebook), and I only use it to keep track of birthdays for my extended family. I avoid any other social media sites/apps like they're diseased. Friends I've had that are also millenials tell me I'm an old man because of such.
It physically cringe slightly when I hear the words: legit, literally, totes, and fam in casual conversation.
If anything is thrown anywhere into my general vicinity I flinch like I'm about to be struck (yay trauma). This has proven a source of amusement for former friends as they would throw totally harmless things near me when my focus was elsewhere just to watch me flinch or jump out of the way from a paper bag.
I enjoy filing taxes for myself and others and find reading legalese to be relaxing.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Captain Chemosh said:
Well, I have a few I'll share. I subconsciously chew my finger nails until the point of bleeding and despite many efforts to curb this (hot sauce, paprika, soap, etc. applied to said fingers) I've only ever managed to grow them out if I'm out camping because they'll invariably get dirty and I despise dirt or by putting bandages on my fingertips, which doesn't work when I'm outside of my home as I get too many questions.
I clip mine, down to the quick. I absolutely, positively cannot stand feeling or seeing them being any longer than that. I actually keep a set of nail clippers in my car so that I can clip them while I'm driving.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Far, far too many for me to remember what most of them even are until I do them.