What would you like to see added in Grand Theft Auto 6 that would make the game better than GTA5

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Fix the bloody shooting controls, whether you do it in first or third person, or both.
Interiors, Watch_Dogs pulled off interiors (Not necessarily all over, but sizably more, and outisde the main characters hideouts), why can't GTA.
Criminal activities for your sandbox crime game. Offline all you had was Armored Vans. Online had a really half-assed car theft thing as well, that became almost universally pointless from people camping out the delivery point with explosives. But yeah, activities focusing on your games core theme, as opposed to shoddy minigames.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
A setting outside of the United States of America. A setting outside the boring present day. A female protagonist, or at least a character creator that allows a woman character.

And something different from the radio stations. They were funny as hell in GTA3. Now they're just doing the same thing over and over.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
You know what I would like to see. Rockstar take GTA less seriously with it's over bloated for "serial" story. It's a game where I can run people down pile up a heap of flaming cars and go on mass shootings. Simplify the story where I am just a criminal doing things for other criminals GTA 2 style. Enough of this goodhearted protagonist just trying to make his way. Or super hard boiled stories that...are really just sooo monotonous that you can't take it seriously due to how serious it wants you to take it *waves at Michael*

Also actual memorable colorful characters. And no I don't just mean the ugly vulgar excuses for characters that fill up Rockstar games now. Having a guy with a crooked nose say "Fuck" and "C*nt" every other word does not a good or memorable character make.

Seriously this isn't 1999 anymore. We don't have to justify the M rating by throwing in curse words every other line.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
-All Rockstar games control like ass in my opinion. The characters move sluggishly and very mechanically, climbing over a wall is a whole procedure. The aiming and shooting just never feels right. Just look at Max Payne 3 where taking cover from prone means standing straight up to be shot and then taking cover instead of just prone to cover like every other 3rd-person cover shooter. A game like Watch Dogs controls so much better and everything is so silky smooth from movement to aiming.
I've never played Max Payne, but I had similar problems with GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption. I simply gacve up on the former, it was frustrating enough. The latter I managed to 100%, in part because friends playing online with me at least gave me a reason to keep coming back

-Mercenaries (the 1st one) still stands as my favorite sandbox game because how open-ended every mission was. The reason every mission was good is due to each mission (its map design) was basically designed as a standalone mission where care was taken to enemy placement and all that (whereas GTA just spawns enemies for you to shoot). Then the world map was made by placing all these small maps (missions) on a canvas. Whereas GTA is designed world first and then come up with the missions and hope they are good. Rockstar designs the sandbox backwards basically.
I never played the game. The irony is that had Rockstar added some more interiors to their game, they probably could have pulled this off.

Well, maybe. I hate how much of a crap shoot the combat is. You can have a perfect run and then lose to a single headshot. Which, in fairness, is the way it works with NPCs as well, but that strikes me as bad design for the player character and makes hunting for golds somewhat frustrating.

-I very much hate Dan Houser's writing. I don't think GTA is going to get a good story until another writer is brought in.
Unfortunately, he's one of the founders, right? So no chance of him getting the boot?

RelativityMan said:
- Did R* ever sort out having the same button for both melee and shooting? If not, that.
Sort of? You can melee with "B" or "Circle" (console controls), but if you shoot too close, you auto-melee. This actually strikes me as the worst of both worlds, but that could just be me.

Also agreed on the camera thing. And stop swinging it when I climb a ladder. If I wanted a side view, I'd move the camera. Spoilers: I don't.

Casual Shinji said:
This, and about a 70% dail-back of the super smug cynicism.

GTA5 would be fantastic if the all characters weren't shallow, obnoxious shitbags, and the world wasn't bursting with the most juvenile name calling in place of genuine satire. Any semblance of intelligence has completely disappeared, and all that's left now is just nasty, mean-spirited bile. Not one genuine, heartfelt, or joyous story or character moment to be found in this entire game.

Also, having characters spewing out 'shit, shit, fuck, fuck, fuck, ****' incessantly is not good ad libbing, Rockstar.

In a nutshell; Some restraint.
Thing is, this is still satire. Satire doesn't have to be funny, or clever or inventive or subtle. Satire can involve just turning a mirror on your subject and treating it with disdain. The key component to satire is to ridicule or exaggerate character flaws, and GTA does that in droves. Look, Americans are shallow, gun-obssessed, car-obssessed, followers and hipsters. Don't they suck?

It's not particularly funny, clever, and it's barely thought provoking (often the major thing satire is intended to do), but it sure does ridicule American consumerism.

Unfortunately, this is kind of moot, as it seems people love the brand of "humour" in GTA V.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Darker content. The torture scene was really well done and a bit unsettling at the same time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Thing is, this is still satire. Satire doesn't have to be funny, or clever or inventive or subtle. Satire can involve just turning a mirror on your subject and treating it with disdain. The key component to satire is to ridicule or exaggerate character flaws, and GTA does that in droves. Look, Americans are shallow, gun-obssessed, car-obssessed, followers and hipsters. Don't they suck?

It's not particularly funny, clever, and it's barely thought provoking (often the major thing satire is intended to do), but it sure does ridicule American consumerism.

Unfortunately, this is kind of moot, as it seems people love the brand of "humour" in GTA V.
Well, nothing needs to have quality, but it'd be nice if it did. It'd be nice if the satire actually involved taking things from everyday life and exposing the lunancy of it all, instead just making the whole world and everyone in it shit and then pointing to it and saying 'Look how everything and everyone is shit, except for us obviously because we're pointing it out.'

A good start would be to just have a main character who valued something. I know GTA4 isn't regarded that highly, but at least Nico had somethings he genuinely cared about, even if that something was annoying.

But then I'd rather they just go back to doing cartoony shit like Bully.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Set in Vice City, or even better, Anywhere USA (GTA2's setting), retro science fiction, multiple factions to take jobs from, multiple characters (some being female).

So basically, a continuation of GTA2 with Ray Laraby's design brought back (which a few vehicles in GTAV actually have already).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I've long felt that if they combined the best aspects of Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row, they would have a real winner. It seems like the two split up and GTA became too serious, while SR went off the comedy deep end. Some middle ground between them would be nice. SR type mini-games and side activities combined with GTA's video presentations and generally better soundtrack. A middle ground between grounded and crazy would be nice, I don't know sort of like a crime version of "Kingsman"... the game needs to be serious in tone but not afraid to really camp it up. Also they need to push the sex and violence to earn that "M" rating, torture scenes aside (which wasn't even *that* graphic compared to movies like Saw) if the game doesn't involve things I haven't seen in a PG-13 movie then it isn't going far enough. Like it or not showing boobies is still only PG-13 (they even made jokes about it in Scream).

Of course the big issue I think is writers, I think for whatever reason Hillary Clinton scared the writers too badly with the crusade she lead (look it up, there is a reason the statue of liberty clone with the coffee cup looks like her). Ever since that Rock Star has felt kind of castrated, and really it needs to both be willing to take more risks, and hire writers that aren't paranoid. It seems like they have been trying to replace actual mature content with profanity, which is great when your like 8, but not so much for the age 30+ who have grown up with these games and are still playing them.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
+1 for the "FFS, improve the controls" statement.

After playing something like Destiny, which has absolutely sublime movement and gunplay, playing GTA V feels like a chore. Everything about the character movement, driving, flying, etc. just feels like total wank. The characters are too sluggish, your car desperately wants to spin out given the smallest chance (and for some reason, it's always an exact 180 spin). Flying is the same; it's a constant battle against the controls. The shooting is basically non-functional without auto-aim. The cover mechanics are so goddamn slow, especially when compared to something like Gears of War. Overall, I don't mind something being difficult as long as it feels satisfying to implement. That's not the case for GTA V. Getting a headshot / drift just feels like a chore to pull off rather than being rewarding.

Let's just say that if a designer thought that mashing X/A to run/respawn faster was a good idea, it's obvious that good control wasn't a high priority.

And I genuinely don't understand where the whole "fantastic social commentary / satire" thing comes from. This is a game where scooters are called Faggios, internet cafes are called Tw@t, one of your lead characters kills people for absolutely no reason, and the Apple logo looks like a dick. GTAV basically has the world-view of an angry 14-year old.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Squilookle said:
A setting outside of the United States of America. A setting outside the boring present day. A female protagonist, or at least a character creator that allows a woman character.

And something different from the radio stations. They were funny as hell in GTA3. Now they're just doing the same thing over and over.
I know it was a long time ago, but they actually already did this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_London,_1969

That game also had a mission pack, called "GTA:London 1961"

Both were phenomenal, and I wish they'd come back to that kind of idea with their new game engines; I think it'd be fantastic to have a setting like "The Saboteur" which was kind of like GTA in occupied France in 1940. i agree, it'd be really nice if they put a GTA game in Rome or Moscow or something like that.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
I think this will be the last GTA for me. The pinnacle of the series was GTA San Andreas (as far as I'm concerned). I was 14 then. Now I have a driver's license and a motorcycle permit, I've fired a variety of guns, and once you've done these things, especially the driving in real life, half the game loses its appeal I find.

I'm also losing interest in their world. I'm not interested in 'parody but not really parody' of the US, a really sick place going down the tubes by all accounts.

Things that could be improved?

Ground controls. Characters since IV move like tanks in a swamp and V was the worst. You barely have time to turn before being shot dead if someone comes up behind you. Vehicle controls are the best I've seen. I wish more had been done with stock trading. In fact, I'd rather GTA turn into an organic rise to the top crime game, rather than a scripted one.

I'd love to start with 0$, homeless, and work my way up from there.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'd like to have a more managerial role that doesn't consist of some crappy mini game. For instance, I liked how you could at least partially plan heists in 5, it would be cool if you could run a gang that way.

Alternatively, I would like GTA games to get away fro gun for hire/wannabe gangster as the main forms of story progression. Again, 5 recognised that this was becoming stale, so it switched to three bank heisters as the protagonists, rather than three generic gangsters. There must be more original kinds of criminals out there.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
An online mode that isn't a total cluster fuck of technical failure. The issues, every single one of them, and their are many, can all be laid squarely at the total and utter dogsh*t pile decision to include the most moronic player match making system in the history of online gaming, it can be best described as a matchmaking system that choose players based on the system of close your eyes and throw a god damn dart at a wall chart full of pictures of every single player currently playing GTA Online. Set up a server system that works, stable, single and fast that do everything in one place, the fact that every interaction requires you to go through several servers; PSN, Rockstar Social Club, Rockstar Games Services and finally the actual Peer to Peer connection to another player and my god is that peer to peer connection system a massive pile of vomitose cat piss, EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, LITERALLY EVERYTHING you do in this game requires you to jump from peer to peer connections, jumping from one shitty PS4 connection in the arse end of the planet to another.

Why no options anywhere to allow players to have some control over who or what they connect too? If I was playing Battlefield 4, brought up the server list and saw two games identical in every way but one was being hosted by a guy using his 3G phone in the deepest darkest bunker in the middle of the jungle with a ping that can be measured by looking at my fucking watch (the hour hand not the second) and a server being hosted by a guy sitting on my lap with a ping so low it would make light look sluggish and unenthusiastic chances are I am choosing the uber fast server, but nope not GTA online you hit the join job button and it sticks you in whatever server, on what ever connection, on whatever part of the planet that just happens to be hosting a game type that vaguely matches the one you choose. Rockstar wanted you to be able to flip between Offline and Online and jump from job to job seamlessly like you do in the main game and if the service wasn't utter testicle mince it might just work, but when I've spent one thirty third of a millennium looking at a floating above the city scape screen waiting for the game to sync players believe me the immersion has been well and truly fucking broken, along with at least one PS4 control pad.

As for game mechanics...

- Whoever it was at Rockstar who cleared the online racing's catch up system needs to be taken outside and beaten, preferably with the team of game play testers (assuming their was any) who play tested this game's mechanic and gave it the thumbs up, it is broken, broken to the degree that it renders the racing part of the racing pointless.

- We've got a game that encourages people to act like douche nozzles... if only their was some way we could make the douche nozzles more douchy and a whole lot more nozzle like. Armoured vehicles, vehicles that you can only kill by blowing up and thus transfer the cost to the player being douche nozzled.... yup, take that person outside and add them to the pile of folk needing to be beaten.

- Homing missiles, you just spent 2million on that attack chopper that requires level 50 and skill to fly.... well guess what that level nothing with 5,000 bucks can shoot you down and requires all the skill of a three week old cheese sandwich to achieve.... nothing like fucking balancing a game huh!

- Get gravity fucking sorted, see if NASA was launching shuttles from the world that GTA 5 inhabits they would be able to launch a fully built international space station with nothing more than three bottles of Coca-Cola and a couple packets of Mentos.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Max Payne 3 has the best controls of any third person shooter ever. I love the weight of the character as well as the mechanics.
I don't have a problem with Max feeling sluggish, it's the mechanical nature of the controls like you can't go prone to cover (making "last stand" or whatever kinda useless) or the fact you can't crouch on cover thus leaving your head exposed to getting shot when the top portion of the cover is destroyed (which is something even the first MGS let you do on PS1). The crouch/prone is so laggy that it's completely useless. There's a freaking button for turn around, any shooter having a button for that means the camera sensitivity is too low; I could turn around and headshot someone in MGS4 in less than a second, there's no need for a turn around button with a proper camera. There's no way to quickly switch your weapon without bringing up a radial dial, you should be able to tap the weapon switch button to go to the last used weapon and hold it for the dial. You also need to take your thumb off the left stick to switch shoulders, which will get you killed playing against human players. MP3's controls aren't very sound TPS mechanics at all and will get you killed against the game's AI, the game's controls make playing competitively online against human players pretty much unplayable.

MGS4 still has the most sound TPS controls; you'll never die due to the controls, the aiming is perfect with no aim-assist whatsoever (the fact that Rockstar games default to lock-on speaks volumes to the aiming), and you are allowed to do very skill oriented actions like grabbing opponents or putting C4 on them to being able to lean left/right to quickly correct your aim being slightly off.

TPSs are my thing and I've played against the best players in the world. I can tell just by playing about 5 minutes of single player of any shooter if the online could be good just do the the controls alone. For example, MGS5's controls are a pretty big step down from MGS4 to the new contextual cover system (that never works) to the removal of several skill oriented actions like taking out leaning. I hope the online controls are different from single player as I heard they were taking feedback from MGO players after the release of Ground Zeroes.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
How about on-foot controls that don't measure your turning radius in nautical miles? I know rockstar can do it, they released max payne 3 just a year earlier. some of the best controls ever in that one.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
A second city.

While San Andreas was all kinds of awesome, one of its biggest draws had to be the possibility for going on an absolutely epic road trip -
starting out from CJ's pad in Grove Street with CJ sporting his unlockable pimp suit and driving a pimpmobile ('broadway' convertible) costumized to perfection with pale blue paintwork, deep red interior, hydraulics and gold-spoke wheels with whitewalls... Inevitably wrecking said ride before even getting out of the city, stealing some butt-ugly junker as a replacement, cruising along the highway, accidentally nudging a cop car and getting chased down by legions of police officers with the tenacity of pitbull terriers on acid and the AI of the Keystone Kops, being shot to Swiss cheese and respawning outside the doctor's office in some tiny pissant town in the middle of Buttf**k Nowhere - with CJ in his underwear (because those cool unlockable outfits have this funny glitch that causes them to disappear whenever you get Busted/Wasted), stealing the nearest vehicle (inevitably a tractor), heading for the horizon until I finally see San Fierro slowly emerge from the fog, getting momentarily lost in the confusing urban landscape, stealing a less slow method of transport, heading across that stunning digital representation of the Golden Gate Bridge, getting tired of following that long strip of highway through the desert, attempting an ill-advised shortcut and ramming my car through sand dunes and sagebrush until it finally breaks down miles from anywhere, forcing me to walk across half the desert and get lost in some long-abandoned ghost town before finally discovering a mysterious pick-up truck next to a hole full of body bags, finally locating some kind of road again and eventually seeing the lights of Las Venturas on the horizon, cruising down the Strip, parking that by now almost completely destroyed truck in front of the fanciest casino in town, swaggering inside like the swankiest mofo that ever rocked a threadbare pair of discount Y-fronts, hitting the poker tables and gambling tirelessly, causing my bankroll up in the corner of the screen to quadruple (but also turn red for some reason) before getting chased back into the desert by a carload of pissed-off mafia guys -

- but it just isn't the same in GTA V because no matter how far you drive, you'll end up right back in the same city that you started from! That's not nearly as much fun - no matter what happens on the way!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
But then I'd rather they just go back to doing cartoony shit like Bully.
Unfortunately, the current branch of "everything sucks" is very popular.

Ironically, from the exact srt of peopl;e they're bashing.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Ezekiel said:
The realistic carry system is ingenious.
I do think GTA would benefit greatly from a realistic carry feature (again with the ability to turn it off in free roam and in certain online lobbies).

You'd have a pistol/s concealed on your person +/- a knife. Then an small SMG in the car itself for drive bys. Other larger weapons would be stored in the trunk of your personal vehicle. With perhaps vehicles upgrades to how many you can store.

You'd be able to carry one large weapon slung, another in your hands however dropping it if you need to do something else (ala Mafia 1).

Having a rifle slung in the city would be an automatic star if cops saw you. But not in say Blaine County where they're rednecks.

This way the game could create missions where you'd need to go in subtly, others where preparing and going in with heavy weapons would be smart.

busterkeatonrules said:
A second city.
This instead of new games with new maps, I'd love them to slam more land onto the GTA V map with sequels/dlc, adding San Fierro and Los Venturas.

I saw a really good map which I'm struggling to find, which combined Liberty City, the maps from San Andreas and GTA V, Vice City and the territory in Red Dead Redemption all organically together. That would be my dream.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A freaking iPod. Seriously, why can't I listen to in-game music and radio talk shows outside of a car? This is a thing you could do with a walkman in the 90's. This is a thing you could do carrying around a boom-box in the 80's! Why do I need to be in a car to listen to music dammit?! Another nice addition would be more music and more radio content in general.

Full character customization would be great too. Other than that...honestly I don't really care too much. GTAIV was the last one I completed and before that it was Vice City. I just don't really care to complete these overly long, overly serious games that generally devolve into awful, forced race missions and heists that require you do do very specific things in a world that's supposed to be open.