What Would You Like to See In Saints Row 4?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
What I would like to see in SR4?

Hmmm... Maybe a time machine. And then go back to medieval times.
Or even prehistoric times and then bring back dinosaurs to ride them.
Dinosaurs with lasers fricken attached to their heads.
Seriously, if they they don't make a game that involves riding laserdinosaurs, maybe I will.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I don't care what they do, I just want Eliza Dushku back as Shaundi, and I want the character to go back to her roots instead of the bullshit that was Shaundi in SR3.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
How am I supposed to care about shot-outs when I'm practically forced to use an UAV strike every time unless I want to get murdered by a helicopter while I'm waiting for my health to regenerate?
Uhhhh...What?

I'm not going to say something like lrn2playnoob, but how was this an issue? I used the UAV during the mandatory section and promptly forgot about it. Meanwhile, I spent half the game taking down helicopters with pistols.

I don't even think of myself as particularly good.
Pistols?
It's not that they were tough, It's that I was busy with what was still on the ground. And Like I said I was also trying to get my health back and I couldn't get to a place where they couldn't shoot me.
Fully upgraded pistols were the single most overpower thing in that game... Those explosives rounds sends enemy flying across the screen and take out helicopters with only a couple rounds. It outshines every other weapon in the game really...

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
For me Saints row 2 was the equivalent of a guy farting and people laughing
Saints row 3 was "Hey, if you liked that, then watch this" and then shitting himself

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
VMK said:
I didn't play that much of SR3, but still:
Ability to create your own vehicle;
More whackyness.

Also, many people are saying that 2nd part is better. Should I download it for PS3?
Yes for God's sake! Do it, do it now!

idon'tknowaboutthat

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, for the love of all things holy, they need to return character customization back to what it was in SR2. Like people have said, SR2 was pretty much just a better game (compared to 3). 2 also had a better story, way more cutscenes, and replayable missions. I guess they think that people don't play SR for a story, but I do at least, and I'd like to think others do as well (Y U KILL GAT). I think the best of both worlds would be SR2 level of customization, which was insane, with SR3 or even better graphics. I say even better because although the Third was flashier and shinier, there were still some pretty ugly models and textures. Also, they really need to make modding tools for their PC fans.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Mighty Lighty said:
Saints row 3 was "Hey, if you liked that, then watch this" and then shitting himself
This may well be the best, most concise thing I've seen written about SRTT. Succinct and to the truth of the matter. Well put fellow escapist.

SR2 was great because the insanity stood out against a backdrop of reasonable people and situations. But when it's all wacky all the time 100% super wacky wa-hey. It's just too much. It robs the wacky of it's context and therefore makes it pointless. To steal a line from The Incredibles; when everyone is special, no one is. And that's how the third felt. With "wacky" being so ingrained in everything, so saturated in the core concept, it just all blurred together into a lazy feeling dull slog of a game. Sure there was good bits to be found, like your favorite ingredient in a stew, but most of it was just overdone.

I had fun with SRTT. But SR2 was groundbreaking entertainment. The second game felt like a love letter to the joy of playing open world games. Where the third felt like having a clown pee in my face.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
I'd like:

SR2's character creator and clothing options back. More options would be nice, but I'd settle for just cutting and pasting SR2's creator.

The ability to go after various gangs in various orders. If each gang completely taken out gave you some sort of bonus that you could use against the other gangs, that would be great too.

The option for goofiness instead of the mandate for it.

More sandbox/side missions unrelated to the main missions.

Oh, and the SR2 version of Shaundi (who I loved) instead of the SR3 version (who I wanted to shoot).

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Oh God, where do I begin. Well, for starters...

1) Make the 3 gangs separate. Giving each gang some of their own time really fleshed out the villains, even if this means smaller plot holes along the way.
2) Remove the stupid missions that are only activities disguised as story.
3) Bring back the theaters/televisions and newspapers to replay cutscenes and missions.
4) More clothing layers.
5) More clothing options.
6) Tone down the silly slightly.
7) Bring back the recurring characters from past games.
8) Bring back the actual ongoing story.
9) Get rid of Whored Mode to focus entirely on the campaign.
10) Actually have the game be as long as previous games where.
11) Bring back the different fighting styles.
12) Bring back the old weapons.
13) Bring back the awesome activities.
14) Make the hidden collectables worth something again.
15) Bring back some of the brutality from Saints Row 2. Some of the more cringe-worthy scenes really sold how violent the gang life can be.

I think that does it for features that are missing from previous games. The list would be longer if I didn't consolidate some things. With just these changes we would see a return to the glory of Saints Row 2. Now on to new things!

1) More clothing.
2) More customization.
3) Better weapon customization (add different parts and paint jobs rather than a linear upgrade system).
4) More melee weapons.
5) 4 player co-op.
6) Keep the graphical fidelity of Saints Row 3 as much as possible. As much as I loved Saints Row 2, it looked like ass in a lot of areas, especially fire effects (which is weird considering how awesome Saints Row 1 was in that regard).
7) Claim that Saints Row: The Third was a fevered dream of the protagonist in order to undo that plot. *Optional*

idon'tknowaboutthat

Nov 30, 2009
GunsmithKitten said:
idon said:
Yeah, for the love of all things holy, they need to return character customization back to what it was in SR2. Like people have said, SR2 was pretty much just a better game (compared to 3). 2 also had a better story, way more cutscenes, and replayable missions. I guess they think that people don't play SR for a story, but I do at least, and I'd like to think others do as well (Y U KILL GAT). I think the best of both worlds would be SR2 level of customization, which was insane, with SR3 or even better graphics. I say even better because although the Third was flashier and shinier, there were still some pretty ugly models and textures. Also, they really need to make modding tools for their PC fans.
I didn't so much mind them killing Gat, but they did it OFF CAMERA! I would have been fine if they let him go out in a storm of bullets, sneers, and blood, but to just hear it over the radio? No sir, I don't like it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Personally, Gat was my favourite character, so I hated it regardless, but it maybe would have been a bit more palatable in a cutscene. I think that was a major issue with SR3. Yeah, okay, they've decided to minimalize storytelling because they figure no one cares, but in SR3 I didn't see that time they saved on that go into anything else. It's like they just skipped cutscenes and dialogue, and went, "Yay, now we can be done sooner!"

Captcha: know your rights. I'm ENTITLED to a better effort for SR4, dammit!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Does SR3 have a countryside district? If not, I'd like to see an entertaining countryside district in SR4. Usually in sandbox games, the open countryside is just an annoying, boring stretch of land between major cities. Put fun stuff there - like making it great terrain to monster truck over, or just provide some interesting variety away from more city space.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
GunsmithKitten said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Mighty Lighty said:
This may well be the best, most concise thing I've seen written about SRTT. Succinct and to the truth of the matter. Well put fellow escapist.

SR2 was great because the insanity stood out against a backdrop of reasonable people and situations. But when it's all wacky all the time 100% super wacky wa-hey. It's just too much. It robs the wacky of it's context and therefore makes it pointless. To steal a line from The Incredibles; when everyone is special, no one is. And that's how the third felt. With "wacky" being so ingrained in everything, so saturated in the core concept, it just all blurred together into a lazy feeling dull slog of a game. Sure there was good bits to be found, like your favorite ingredient in a stew, but most of it was just overdone.

I had fun with SRTT. But SR2 was groundbreaking entertainment. The second game felt like a love letter to the joy of playing open world games. Where the third felt like having a clown pee in my face.
They made the craziness the main dish instead of the tasty side, and that was a big mistake.

It wasn't like it didn't do a lot of the craziness well, it's just that it was far too much. Sr2's insanity worked because it rode beside a genuinely painful roadside dragging death and a F'N TEXAS FUNERAL (the most badass cut scene in any VG I've seen, incidently)
You are a fountain of insightful posts on this topic, sir (sir? Madam? Educated pony? Sorry, I don't know you well enough).

One of the best parts of SR2 (for me) was how it stood in stark contrast to GTA4. In all the ways GTA4 failed me, SR2 delivered. I know a lot of people liked the direction of GTA4 and that's fine. That is their right, just as it's my right to call it a dull boring overrated pile of sputum. The greatness of free will and having an opinion, eh? But Saints Row The Third approached its Wacky the way GTA4 approached its Gritty. Too much.

Also, since I've quoted you anyway, I agree with the dragging scene. That scene was harsh in every way possible. Harsh in that badass shocking kinda way that we all love. ;)

And as long as we're beating up SRTT anyway, what the hell is the deal with giving us a cell phone as our primary interface for leveling, mission taking, whatever, and not letting us dial out? What the official Hell is up with that?

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
It sounds slightly sacrilegious at this point but Dump the Saints. Any more stories with them being the biggest baddest motherfuckers in the world, losing all their influence because...reasons and then building themselves up to be bigger and badder just doesn't have the same punch anymore. Let me design my own gang from the ground up, colour scheme, fully customizable uniforms and styles pretty much anything I can do to customize my avatar, let me do to my gang. If there was one sore point for me from the first three games it's that my roughneck, knuckleduster punk chick character stood out like a sore thumb amongst the purple and gold super gang banger backdrop.

More interaction with the city. I love being able to slowly gain control over the city by buying land and completing missions but I never really got the feeling that doing so was giving me any benefit beyond generating funds.
so give me neighborhoods I can duck into where rival gangs or cops may not be as willing to chase me depending on my current reputation with the gang and my level of influence in the neighborhood.

Optional temporary alliances with other gangs. We all know how these games play out, eventually your crew has to be the only one left in the city, but that's not to say you can't use one of the other chumps to help you do some dirty work along the way.
I've had an idea for a game like this for a few years now. Create your own gang from the ground up and find the right balance between the serious, realism of GTA 4 and the wackiness of Saints Row. Maybe throw in some RPG elements by having the ability to choose what kind of gang you are (drug cartel, motorcycle gang, etc.) and choose a player class (hitman, getaway driver, etc.) and play it out from there.

If this were to fall in line with the Saints Row franchise, I can think of two ways to do it:

1) Have you build a gang from the ground up in the same sense that the Saints first got started (to protect the neighborhoods from encroaching gang violence and drugs) and grow and eventually fight off the Saints after a game or two.

2) Have the leader of the Saints realize how much they have become sellouts (there are already seeds of this in the beginning of SR3) and go off on his/her own in a new city and hunt down Dex from SR1.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
It sounds slightly sacrilegious at this point but Dump the Saints. Any more stories with them being the biggest baddest motherfuckers in the world, losing all their influence because...reasons and then building themselves up to be bigger and badder just doesn't have the same punch anymore. Let me design my own gang from the ground up, colour scheme, fully customizable uniforms and styles pretty much anything I can do to customize my avatar, let me do to my gang. If there was one sore point for me from the first three games it's that my roughneck, knuckleduster punk chick character stood out like a sore thumb amongst the purple and gold super gang banger backdrop.

More interaction with the city. I love being able to slowly gain control over the city by buying land and completing missions but I never really got the feeling that doing so was giving me any benefit beyond generating funds.
so give me neighborhoods I can duck into where rival gangs or cops may not be as willing to chase me depending on my current reputation with the gang and my level of influence in the neighborhood.

Optional temporary alliances with other gangs. We all know how these games play out, eventually your crew has to be the only one left in the city, but that's not to say you can't use one of the other chumps to help you do some dirty work along the way.
I've had an idea for a game like this for a few years now. Create your own gang from the ground up and find the right balance between the serious, realism of GTA 4 and the wackiness of Saints Row. Maybe throw in some RPG elements by having the ability to choose what kind of gang you are (drug cartel, motorcycle gang, etc.) and choose a player class (hitman, getaway driver, etc.) and play it out from there.

If this were to fall in line with the Saints Row franchise, I can think of two ways to do it:

1) Have you build a gang from the ground up in the same sense that the Saints first got started (to protect the neighborhoods from encroaching gang violence and drugs) and grow and eventually fight off the Saints after a game or two.

2) Have the leader of the Saints realize how much they have become sellouts (there are already seeds of this in the beginning of SR3) and go off on his/her own in a new city and hunt down Dex from SR1.

EDIT: Damn double post.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Pretty much bring back mission replay and some element of seriousness, like the carlos scene in SR2 (People who have played the game, you know which one I'm talking about. Not spoiling it for anyone else).

Also, let us dial fucking taxis. I like warp taxis. They make things convenient. Either that, or get rid of the recharge time on delivery homies. I like the VTOL, but unless you're at a safe house or the VTOL homie is fully charged, there's no way to access them without driving across 5 miles of city. Speaking of which, the city should be WAY bigger. SR2 had a way bigger map with some diversity in it. SR3 is just big city no matter where you go. Fix that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Pistols?
It's not that they were tough, It's that I was busy with what was still on the ground. And Like I said I was also trying to get my health back and I couldn't get to a place where they couldn't shoot me.
I don't know, I played a lot of the survival early on and still managed to avoid this sort of problem. My health normally didn't go down low enough to be an issue, and cover seemed plentiful enough for me at most points. Otherwise, I might jack a car and ride around for a few seconds to get health back.