What would your coat of arms be?

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I've always been somewhat fascinated by the practices of chivalry and nobility, particularly the traditional use of a coat of arms by old, aristocratic families. And after going on a bit of a "Game of Thrones" binge recently I got to thinking: what would my own family's coat of arms be?And furthermore, what would yours? When making one, come up with a name of your "House" (this can be your last name or something else if you prefer), a sigil, and a motto that describes your family in some way. Also note that this doesn't strictly have to apply to your entire family either; it could simply be a personal crest if you'd rather have it that way.

On my part, I think that my families coat of arms would be this:

Name: House Garnaat of New York.

Sigil: A ship at sail with St. George's Cross in the background (due to my ancestors being fishermen and having an English heritage).

Motto: "Live to Die", or "No Wealth Like Knowledge".

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Dunno what the shit is up with my coat of arms, but there you go
http://www.maxbal.co.uk/2008/coa/b/images/Bass.jpg

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Lord Garnaat said:
On my part, I think that my families coat of arms would be this:

Name: House Garnaat of New York.

Sigil: A ship at sail with St. George's Cross in the background (due to my ancestors being fishermen and having an English heritage).

Motto: "Live to Die", or "No Wealth Like Knowledge".
Come come, when you talk of 'Coats-of-Arms' one must use heraldic language!

Personally: Parted per cross ermine and argent, chevron sable, chief dexter cross formy sable, eagle displayed argent, armed and langued gules.

EDIT: Though now I think on it: 'Parted per cross ermines and ermine, chevron sable, eagle displayed argent, armed and langued gules' has a better look to it...

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Well, here is the one tied to my surname:

Bloody French putting flowers in everything, bleh.

The majority of my bloodline is actually Irish and Celtic, I'd much rather have something representative of that heritage. Perhaps the base Claddagh symbol surrounded by Celtic knotwork. Dark Green or Red for the primary color

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not sure what my will be but it will be a orange, blue and white colour scheme and it will have reptiles (my favourite animal).

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I googled `coat of arms` and my surname. There were a load of them, my surname is quite common.

Some of them had moons on them, which looked quite nice. One had three hedgehogs on it. So I guess I'd go with the hedgehogs.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Well, I've got a clan coat of arms - yay Scottish heritage!

The less cool part is that all it is, is a belt with 'Commit thy work to God' written on it, and a chicken sat on top. Yay Scottish heritage?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008

I don't care for it much though, now I have a new project: make better coat of arms.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
My family actually have a specific Coat of Arms, not just the standard one for our name, we used to be prominent Ironmongers in London and are related to a British Prime Minister, so it's a hand-down from those glory days (which have unfortunately passed.)

There's a few cups in a cabinet with the crest on it somewhere around the house, it's pretty boring though, 2 walnuts and a tree branch or something.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Name: O'Brien

Sigil: An arm raised with sword out of a cloud above a helmet sitting on three lions on a red field.

Motto: "Strong Upper Hand" or "Raise the Strongest Hand"

ETA:

ETAA:

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

This is apparently the Mills Coat of Arms in Scotland.

Ex Industia means Through Industry

Okay, apparently the image refuses to work.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Apparently the one for my family is red and white with the unicorn of Scotland on top with the motto in latin, "I neither fear nor despise." Could be worse.

IrishBerserker

Oct 6, 2009
This is my familys coat of arms and I wouldn't change it.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Google says this is my family's crest:

Not sure how much to trust it but there you go.

If I was the one making it up for just myself, it'd have elements of:

- Batman
- Lego
- Games

The three pillars of my existence.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Mine is more of a clan crest. They would have been one of the biggest familes in the south part of Ireland
O'Sullivan
Lamh Foisteanach abu: The steady hand to victory.
Our crest is half a boar and half a stag. On top theres a red hand with a snake wrapped round a sword. Sorry I can't post a picture.
By the way the name O'Sullivan means son of one eye
Picture:http://www.araltas.com/features/sullivan/sullivan-mor.jpg