What would your coat of arms be?

dayjack01

Aug 19, 2010
http://www.irishsurnames.com/coatsofarms/f/freeman-coat-of-arms-family-crest.gif

well it has my red and black in it!

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
My coat of arms is a coat, made of arms. Jealous?

OT: It's actually some weird blue and yellow thing. It's Irish (yet has no green! What in the blazes, Ireland? Why have you betrayed me!?)

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I'll come up with my own family crest momentarily, but I was curious as to whether or not anybody is familiar with the Edgar Allen Poe story "Cask of Amontillado". In that story, the theme is revenge, and the wrathful person has a family coat of arms of a man's foot crushing a snake. Only, the snake pierces the man's foot with it's fangs, ultimately dooming the man.

The motto to go along with that coat of arms was "Nemo me impune lacessit (No one insults me with impunity)". Essentially, it means harm will befall onto those who harm members of the family.

I just thought that particular crest was clever.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Reginald said:

My father's CoA, according to Google Image Search. I go by a different name, so I guess it doesn't really count. Still. What's up with those lions? They don't look very healthy. Or brave. They look like sickly, cowardly, crap lions. The bottom one looks a bit pissed off, probably because it's so shitty, but the top one jut looks like it wants to go home and take a nap. And what's up with those disembodied boar heads? Those herbs, what're they meant to be? Herbs? Are those eagles floating around those herbs?

The name I go by is so common that there seem to be a few too many Coats of Arms to pick from.
This is just speculation, but the old lion at the top could signify a leader of some kind, but an old one with old traditions. The knight beneath him might represent an enforcer of the leader, or else a military power. The three pigs (3's a magic number) are usually disdainful animals, so they might represent those who society looks down upon. The angry lion, caged by the triangle, sits beneath the pigs, indicating that the lion is seen as someone even lesser than the pigs (perhaps even shit on by them).

But the angry lion is strong, and supports everything above him. Even though the lion is looked down upon, it is young where the top lion is old, fierce and independent where the knight is blind, and proud and true, where the pigs are revolting.

So...you're crest could mean that members of your family carry a great strength, one that the rest of the world relies upon. It could also signify duty. It could also represent hard work, the the fierce lion who strives the carry the burdens of others.

That's...actually kind of awesome.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Heronblade said:
Well, here is the one tied to my surname:

Bloody French putting flowers in everything, bleh.

The majority of my bloodline is actually Irish and Celtic, I'd much rather have something representative of that heritage. Perhaps the base Claddagh symbol surrounded by Celtic knotwork. Dark Green or Red for the primary color
I think that one's just the sample, because I got the same even after running different names through it.

While I have family heraldry, I don't have a coat of arms, seeing as how I didn't earn one.
College Of Arms said:
Q. Do coats of arms belong to surnames?
A. No. There is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'. Many people of the same surname will often be entitled to completely different coats of arms, and many of that surname will be entitled to no coat of arms. Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.
http://college-of-arms.gov.uk/Faq.htm

I'm sure mine will be sufficiently awesome once I petition for one. I mean, I'm so great, how could they deny me? :p

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Fuck traditional crests

Imagine a kite shield emblazoned with the Moorcock's chaos star (colored the deepest black possible on a field of pure white), the bottom tip blood red, surrounded by unspeakably horrifying tentacles, a banner proudly proclaiming "Insania vocem" (Or "Verum Ordinis per Chaos") and finally the word Tipton scratched into the top of the shield as if by some ghastly claw.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
I actually like my families one, well, I like the ones from both sides of my family but I like this one better: It's my avatar currently for a reason =) . The motto roughly translates to 'They are able who believe they can'

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
This is about the only one I could find. Finding the surname with the spelling "er" instead of "or" can be difficult. It helps that I'm English too :D

EDIT: Now that I look at my coat of arms, I think about Bolt Thrower. I guess because it is yellow like War Master'c cover, and it has bolts on it? I don't know.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I have 2 coat of arms, one from my mothers side, and one from my fathers, i'd post a picture, but the shields have been put away and i don't know where

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
something cool and classy with swords, a gun, a couple snakes and a glass of sparkling cider. awesome just like me. Colors would be silver, green and red.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
IrishBerserker said:
This is my familys coat of arms and I wouldn't change it.
Hey that's my family's coat of arms as well.

This must mean ... you stole my coat of arms!

It is a pretty cool coat of arms, how many people can say their coat of arms has 3 disembodied griffon heads on it?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Surprisingly to me, my surname has one.

It's alright, decent enough color scheme. Would prefer black and red, though.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
I dunno if my family has it. Apparently its blazon is a pegasus but I don't if that's my father's or mum's side. My surname has sooo many spellings so I can't be certain.

A Random Reader

Nov 18, 2009
My coat of arms would be a Cock and a Swallow. That way, if I'm roleplaying anything, I can shout "Follow the Cock and Swallow!"

They'll all be too busy laughing to defend themselves.