What You Need to Know About Warmachine and Hordes

Lodur

May 28, 2014
What You Need to Know About Warmachine and Hordes

Victory Points presents the definitive guide to getting started with the two related steampunk wargames from privateer press.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mmmm, Warmachine. I love that game more than Warhammer and so damn much cheaper to build a starter army. Plus I like Privateer Press' model aesthetics a lot more. Overall I'm happy to see them still going strong now.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Hell yeah. Warmahordes getting noticed. A lot of people will say they prefer Warhammer, but the whole grimdarkgrimmygrimmydarkdarkgrimmyhighschooldark tone of it isn't for everyone. Warmahordes can be pricey at times, but it takes about fifty bucks to do a starter army (Or less depending on the retailer for it, I knew one place that cleaved 25% off of any privateerpress figure/unit/starter box). Its faster paced as well from what I had seen between both WH and WM/H. I've always had fun with it and the models hold an extremely high aesthetic value to me. Plus the Warcasters/Warlocks(Leaders of the armies) can completely change the tone of what you play in a single faction (Depending on the faction that is. Morebanespls excluded.)

Drunken Dalek

Jun 2, 2014
What's up with the photos of Malifaux figures?

If you and a friend like the factions in them, the two-player starter sets for Warmachine/Hordes are a good deal. They have a better model-to-price ratio than the single faction starters and come with a pocket rulebook.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Ya. the first pic (not the dire troll with 'Victory Points' icon around it, but the group shot) is from Malifaux. Also, seconding 'Warmahordes'. The 'seperate games' thing is really nebulous, especially when you have mercenaries/minions, and even one Warcaster (Magnus the Warlord) who can be played in the opposite game.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Breakdown said:
I'd guess that Malifaux might be the next article and the photos got mixed up.
Ding! Tell the nice user what they win...

That aside, I'm curious as to what everyone plays in Warmahordes - sound off!

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
I haven't played WM/H in a long while, but I'm sitting on roughly 100 pts worth of Khador, and nearly 125 worth of Skorne.

WM/H is by far a better GAME than WH40k, but on the whole 40k has better looking models (aesthetics aside).

Since I've noticed some Malifaux has snuck in to the article, I've been dabbling in that very recently. Its a MUCH different game from the other two.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
JonB said:
Breakdown said:

I have no experience with Warmahordes, but I have picked up a couple of Malifaux box sets recently. I don't really play, I'm more into collecting and attempting to paint before giving up in a fit of despair.

Drunken Dalek

Jun 2, 2014
JonB said:
Most recently, Gatormen in a Journeyman League. Throwing 'jacks into water never gets old.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Something else people should know about Warmahordes: the plastic is terrible. Apparently they've started making the new warjacks in the kind of plastic that is used for mainstream model kits and GW's plastic kits, but everything else is PVC.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
Warmahordes like Warhammer is a nice table top game to play casually with friends but it suffers from the same problems as Warhammer when you take it to a competitive level (the same 4-5 armies winning the top prizes, cheese strats winning the day etc).

Fun casual game, boring competitive game

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
CaptainMidlands said:
Warmahordes like Warhammer is a nice table top game to play casually with friends but it suffers from the same problems as Warhammer when you take it to a competitive level (the same 4-5 armies winning the top prizes, cheese strats winning the day etc).

Yeah, except for the part where that's not true.

http://www.discountgamesinc.com/tournaments/

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
JonB said:
Cygnar. Guns and Lightning, bring it! Though the Disruption status effect is USELESS vs Hordes. Unless the rules changed.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
JonB said:
Breakdown said:

I may have a bit of an addiction but I have Cryx, Menoth, Circle and Cygnar... and I am sure that I can make a Merc army if i wanted to.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
JonB said:
Breakdown said:

Warmachine: Llael shall be free again!!! Mercenaries/Cygnar if anyone wants specifics.

Hordes: The Legion of Everblight will DESTROY you!

Man, I love this game. I don't really think the price to model ratio is that different from 40k, but it is MUCH easier to start playing with them in comparison with warhammer/40k. Add to it the short time needed to play a game (1-2 hours usually for a game) and it's my preferred wargame.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Tarkand said:
CaptainMidlands said:

Yeah, except for the part where that's not true.

http://www.discountgamesinc.com/tournaments/
Looks like an awful lot of Cryx and Cygnar to me. Throw in the third place Skorne, and you've got well over half of the top-three non-team placements on the first page.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
JonB said:
Retribution of Scyrah with a side of Menoth. I'm fond of the elves aesthetic and their assassination potential (the fact that the past couple of releases have given them a lot of options like eVyros and the Houseguard Thane have also been nice).

With Menoth, it goes back to my days as a magic player where I played a lot of control decks. There's something just satisfying about saying "NO" to the enemy.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
CaptainMidlands said:

Aside from that not being true as another user said, I also have to say that it is an extremely well thought out and written competitive game. Aside from the fact that despite a few factions certainly being overall stronger in many ways, pretty much all of them are competitively viable (whereas it would be a stretch to say 40k has more than 2 or 3 competitively viable armies at any given time), the rules are absolutely magnificent. Games are fun, exciting, and comebacks are far from unheard of even after taking some massive hits.

But even better is it has one of the best written competitive rule sets out there. The vast majority of questions that come up in any game can be answered by reading the rules as they're written. No need to check a FAQ or an errata. And on the odd occasion that you do need to go outside the rulebook for a specific answer, it's usually for a clarification to what was written on a card, and is almost always clarified in a way that makes sense with the apparent intention of the rules. That is so ungodly huge for a competitive game to be a good competitive game that I couldn't overstate it if I tried. By comparison, Warhammer with its poorly worded, and often even conflicting, sets of rules, backed up by errata that rarely make any sense and have zero consistency is a complete and utter joke as a competitive game. I'd even go so far as to say that I find the idea of people playing it in organized tournaments for actual prizes laughable. And that's without getting into just how poorly balanced it is. There are entire factions in 40K that aren't competitive to the extreme of losing as soon as their opponent selects their army, and some that are flat out hard countered by other armies, to say nothing of many of the more competitive lists being hard skew lists that take the thing their army is best at and go all out with it. Warmahordes balance on its worst day is better than Warhammer at its best.

If you honestly think that Warmahordes is a poor competitive game with very little variation in the meta, and nothing but cheese strats winning the day, I feel quite safe stating that you either haven't played much, or you and your opponents have a poor understanding of the rules. I could understand it just not being your kind of game, but the statements you made are just plain silly. Unless you made the mistake of thinking you spell Warmachine W-A-R-H-A-M-M-E-R somewhere along the way. In which case everything you said would be true.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
What you need to know about Scummachine and hordes, /tg/ edition
>battletech, you know you want to, once models get better
>Kings of war, WFHB but cheaper with double the models
>flames of war, I want to play my Russian guard self propelled sappers army
>warpath, 40k but cheaper, double the models, and designed by famous former GW creative
>deadzone, mordhiem, in space, with zombies, cheap and pretty good models
>infinity, a game of skill from whay I heard. love the nomads
>Malifaux, pretty much the same style as Scummachine and hordes, ability driven skirmish
>Destopia wars, steampunk, I play the covenant of Antarctica, they have giant spider robots named after Greek philosophers
>spartan games, all of them, includes the above,
>mars attacks, all in name, based on the movie
>All quiet on the Martian front. SERIOUSLY CHECK THAT GAME OUT IT'S REALLY DAMN COOL, it's a war of the worlds TableTop
>Monsterpolyse, don't expect any support, it's a great game but PP left it to dry from hordes, no I'm not bitter or sad

>WHFB (FORGODSSAKECANIJUSTPLAYONE2000POINTMATCHIN7THEEDITION,JEZ)
>bloodbowl, necromunda, mordienheim, epic,battlefleet gothic,Aeronautica Imperialis, Inquisitor, gorkamorka all have either living rulebooks or have scribed rulebooks (they are OoP, and I most cases I don't think GW so don't worry)

>finally 40k is getting a living rule book thrown together by the guys that brought you h8chan, "we're too extreme for 4chan"~some stupid reporter

CaptainMidlands said:

>casul-ly?

If you say so, my play group might have just been filled with powergamers but I've seen too many black thirteens, beast 09s and everblight light cav' lists...wait no just everblight in general then I'd like.....ever.
All of the cheese upon all of the cheese, meta with meta.
No room for your guys, modelling, much conversion, terrain or even really infantry past 1st edition (not in the way I play it, I'm a british commander at heart).
Also I manged to roll 3 on 3 dice with the butcher on his feat turn.
I do like magnus the traitor.
The celphax, even if their warcaster is bloody stupid looking
and of course lich lord assfac... i mean asphyxious.
That being said
I would never say Warhammer is like Scubmachine, the fundamentals lie in the method of play. I see and have always seen Scubmachine as being a more ability driven game over all and not a wargame, wargame.
It's as it say s a skirmish game, with abilities and effects that function together in interesting ways but even then it will never scratch the same spot.
I played