What You Need to Know About Warmachine and Hordes

Aug 31, 2012
Be nice if GW learned a bit from Privateer's business strategy. The $50 starter packs for each faction would be great ported to warhams, it's not as if they don't do something similar but you have to stick with marines or chaos. They're willing to do the price, but for some reason, not the choice.
I'm also told that you get the rules for each unit/model in the pack when you buy it and the equivalent of a codex is an optional extra.
OTOH, the price for some of their models is even worse than GW, was looking at their infantry models for some alternate guardsmen and nearly had a heart attack.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The only thing I know about Warmachine is that whenever I ask someone at the store if they're playing 40k, the answer is invariably, "No, it's Warmachine."

Kerric

Jul 28, 2012
Since this is a new column on a new topic I have a suggestion: could you explain how the &*#$ any of this works? I mean, how do you play a miniatures game? Do you move one piece at a time? How do you determine what you can hit? How do you measure distances? (Center to center? Edge to edge?) How big a table do you need? How does it differ from an RPG with a hex map and figurines? Do you need 3D models of environment? How do you handle terrain?

Furthermore, do you need figurines? If you know the rules, can you just use something else to represent pieces? (It's always puzzled me that such games are obsessed with expensive models - it's as if you couldn't play chess without a really detailed model of a tower for your rook).

I've read lots of WH40K fluff, but I have no idea how one actually (e.g. mechanically) play such a game. It would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others who "game" but have not played with miniatures) if you gave an introduction to miniature gaming.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Kerric said:
Since this is a new column on a new topic I have a suggestion: could you explain how the &*#$ any of this works? I mean, how do you play a miniatures game? Do you move one piece at a time? How do you determine what you can hit? How do you measure distances? (Center to center? Edge to edge?) How big a table do you need? How does it differ from an RPG with a hex map and figurines? Do you need 3D models of environment? How do you handle terrain?

Furthermore, do you need figurines? If you know the rules, can you just use something else to represent pieces? (It's always puzzled me that such games are obsessed with expensive models - it's as if you couldn't play chess without a really detailed model of a tower for your rook).

I've read lots of WH40K fluff, but I have no idea how one actually (e.g. mechanically) play such a game. It would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others who "game" but have not played with miniatures) if you gave an introduction to miniature gaming.
I guess it would make sense for them to make an article explaining the basics of tabletop wargames, though they tend to vary in many aspects from one another.

Take Warmachine/Hordes for instance; You play on a 4 feet by 4 feet table (Or zones measured out on a bigger one if necessary), set up terrain (how this is done is very subjective) and then roll for who either goes first or picks the side they want to deploy their army on first. Depending on which set of scenario rules you play deployment varies slightly.

You measure from the edge of the base to a point on the table, or the edge of another models base in most instances, though there are exceptions, such as when placing a magical AoE with such a condition, in which case it's mostly "place anywhere completely within X", which obviously means the entire thing needs to be within the specified number.

As for the order of moving things, in Warmachine/Hordes you 'activate' a Model(Warcaster/Warjack/Solo as an example) or a Unit (A collection of more than one model, most often 6 or 10 if they are small based(30mm) and 3 to 6 if they are medium based (40mm) though there's exceptions to that particular rule as well), you then declare an order (Charge/Run being the most common order(s)) or simply advance(move normally) or forfeit your movement to gain Aim (Bonus to ranged attack rolls) with every model activated (So only the one model unless it's a unit) followed by an Action (Such as making a ranged or melee attack, or casting a spell(Though Warcasters don't need to use their action to cast spells, but that's beside the point)), then you resolve any additional rules and then their activation ends and you choose another model/unit to activate until your entire army has done something, at which point it's the opponents turn.

Terrain itself can be represented by strips of paper if you want, or massively detailed 3d pieces. It's all up to what you're satisfied with yourself, though some terrain pieces get pretty annoying if they're done too realistically :p (Always fun to place top-heavy metal models on a natural looking hill). Terrain have clearly defined rules in the game, such as forests giving Concealment, Hills giving elevation, etc.)

The same goes for models too, but it gets a whole lot more confusing the higher point values and different types of units/solos/warnouns you add to your forces. Remember it's not just you who need to know what everything is, but your opponent needs to be able to look at your stuff and tell what it is, or at least be able to ask about it and (hopefully) remember for next time they see it. Having a poker chip represent something could get confusing easily, especially if the meaning of said chip changes each time! But there's nothing wrong with "proxing" a few models here or there, or doing it to try out another factions battlebox. (I tried proxing a 50point force once using another army, I gave up in the deployment step. TOO confusing, and I've got the rules down pat).

Besides that I personally enjoy the modeling and painting side of things, even if I'm a really slow painter with a penchant for being distracted by stuff :p
Warcaster - Iron Mother [http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/Shinreiku/Warhammer/Fists%20of%20the%20Convergence/IronMother-NearlyDone_zps125c2334.jpg]

I hope that helped, but if you've still got questions then feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them :p

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Out of curiousity, has anyone tried the PC "Warmachines" game?

I've seen it on Steam and I'm intrigued, but I'm generally not a huge fan of early access games. Was curious if anyone has tried it out yet.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:

I've seen it on Steam and I'm intrigued, but I'm generally not a huge fan of early access games. Was curious if anyone has tried it out yet.
I donated to the kickstarter so I've had access for a while, but haven't played too much since it was in pretty early Alpha for quite a while. That said, they've been making some major improvements, and I believe they're updating it every week so the commitment to making it something great is definitely there. I didn't like it too much the first time I tried it, but since then they've made UI improvements, added a tutorial, and if I'm not mistaken the most recent update adds the full campaign (20 missions or something like that), so I'm going to jump back in when I have the free time again to give it another go. The last time I played was just to try the tutorial mission, but it plays quite similarly to the table top game for the most part, so I imagine once it's finished and polished up it will be quite good. The tutorial level was certainly an improvement on what I'd tried before.

Haven't played it enough, or recently enough to say if it's worth it right now though. I'd say it wasn't a few months back, but it's improved quite a bit since then. It's definitely one I'd keep an eye on if you're interested in Warmachine though.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

I donated to the kickstarter so I've had access for a while, but haven't played too much since it was in pretty early Alpha for quite a while. That said, they've been making some major improvements, and I believe they're updating it every week so the commitment to making it something great is definitely there. I didn't like it too much the first time I tried it, but since then they've made UI improvements, added a tutorial, and if I'm not mistaken the most recent update adds the full campaign (20 missions or something like that), so I'm going to jump back in when I have the free time again to give it another go. The last time I played was just to try the tutorial mission, but it plays quite similarly to the table top game for the most part, so I imagine once it's finished and polished up it will be quite good. The tutorial level was certainly an improvement on what I'd tried before.

Haven't played it enough, or recently enough to say if it's worth it right now though. I'd say it wasn't a few months back, but it's improved quite a bit since then. It's definitely one I'd keep an eye on if you're interested in Warmachine though.
Sounds good. Does the campaign only cover 1 faction, or all 4 factions? Actually, can you play as all 4 factions? I figured you'd be stuck as Cygnar, since they're the stereotypical "good guys".

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

Sounds good. Does the campaign only cover 1 faction, or all 4 factions? Actually, can you play as all 4 factions? I figured you'd be stuck as Cygnar, since they're the stereotypical "good guys".
Honestly not sure since I probably won't get time to play until Sunday. I believe they mentioned something about playing as all the factions back during the kickstarter phase, but I'm not sure if that included in the campaign mode. Hopefully it does since I'm more of a Khador fan, but there's still AI skirmish modes and online to fill my need to fight for the motherland I suppose.

Actually scratch that, I got curious and checked out their latest news update on Steam. It says the No Man's Land campaign is available, which to me implies that others will be made available in the future, so while there's no campaign modes for the other factions yet, it sounds likely that we'll get them eventually.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:

Honestly not sure since I probably won't get time to play until Sunday. I believe they mentioned something about playing as all the factions back during the kickstarter phase, but I'm not sure if that included in the campaign mode. Hopefully it does since I'm more of a Khador fan, but there's still AI skirmish modes and online to fill my need to fight for the motherland I suppose.

Actually scratch that, I got curious and checked out their latest news update on Steam. It says the No Man's Land campaign is available, which to me implies that others will be made available in the future, so while there's no campaign modes for the other factions yet, it sounds likely that we'll get them eventually.
Based on the met stretch goals from the kickstarter, there will be at least two 'mission packs' added at a later date, Fire and Ice, which looks to be Khador vs. Protectorate (not sure from which perspective, or if it will be from both), and Dark Seduction (Cryx vs. Cygnar). Additionally, Mercs under Magnus and Retribution will be added at later dates.