Whats a good 3D printer

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Thinking about getting a 3D printer, mostly for miniatures, but might use it for some other stuff (my Mom claims my High elves for Christmas and Easter for Little Town of Bethlehem, might as well give her a couple of buildings for her collection).

After I mostly get my Laptop paid off I will start looking for one.

So whats a good one to go look for one, say starting at $200 Dollars and no more than $500 if I can help it.

Reactions: OblongYellow

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't own a 3D printer but I was thinking of getting one, and this one seems pretty good:

Honestly though, I haven't even quite decided what type to go with much less the make and model. I might go with a resin printer instead as it seems you can get more detail with those, although those all seem much smaller scale. Still need to do more research.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If you want to get into 3D printing on the cheap, and you'll just be using it for miniatures and don't need it to be able to print anything large this would probably be a good option for you:

Reactions: Saint of M

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I've got an Ender 3, which I think is about as cheap as they come. It's got a decent print size (22 x 22 x 25) for the price. I can't really comment on the quality compared to others as I haven't seen the output from any others, and I'm mostly using it to make workshop jigs and such at the moment, so don't need the level of detail you'd get on figures. It's accurate in terms of size though.

I'm pretty happy with it as an entry-level model. I probably will upgrade at some point if I find I'm getting a lot of use, but for now it's good. AFAIK, if you want to use ABS filament you need to build an insulated housing because it struggles to keep the temperature high enough without one (whereas more expensive models already have housing.