What's Actually Good (In Comics) #6

Dominic Davies

Dec 10, 2007
What's Actually Good (In Comics) #6

In this issue, I go to thesauraus.com and type in ?imaginative? in an effort to find more words to describe Grant Morrison and discover that Brian K. Vaughan can make even a Wolverine book touching. Go figure. The books in question? All Star Superman and Logan. All this and the usual nonsense. Escapeites assemble!

Thaddeus

A Nobody in Somebody's Clothing
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah, being a Superman fan can be rough. I guess idealism has gone down with the dollar.

That's why I really appreciate what Paul Dini has been doing in Detective Comics, bringing Batman back from the past decade of Frank Miller-inspired madness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sin City in all it's hardboiled glory, and even The Dark Knight Returns... but that's not supposed to be who Batman is, it's just who he might become. I've always been more of an Adams/O'Neil kind of guy. Y'know, the Batman that acts like a hero?

It seems more and more these days that comic companies have become bolder, giving writers more freedom to explore new territory with the big characters rather than just faking it -- look at the Death of Captain America versus the Death of Superman. Of course, once a door like that is open, it can lead to a weird sort of escalation. I mean, there's talk of Bruce Wayne taking a dirt nap later this year which, on the one hand, smells like yet another cheap ploy but, at the same time... it's also gonna be by Grant Morrison. With Alex Ross covers.

I'll have to buy it, but still... am I really ready for a world without Batman? And since it's Morrison, what is he really up to?

I'll definitely have to check out Logan, though. Can't remember the last time I read a good Wolverine story.

DominicDavies

Dec 9, 2007
The Superman phenomenon is a real shame. I as a culture think we need our heroes to finally step out of the darkness and start being inspiring again. Needless to say I will be looking out for more articles and the odd academic paper about it as well.

I have heard about the death of Bruce Wayne thing as well. I would say it's a bad idea. While the DC universe is built upon and packed full of legacies the big three need to stay immortal.

Big things like that (and I hate to say it) I find tend to be a result more of editorial mandate than a writer's desire to tell his own story. Case in point, Brand New Day for Amazing Spiderman. The same happens in the DC camp too. The best runs are when writers are allowed to do their thing without interference.

That said if he was killed I would be rooting for Dick Grayson as the obvious replacement.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Frank manages to capture the iconic Superman look but still maintain a contemporary feel. The square jaw and curled lock of hair is there, along with the perfect physique and deep blue eyes. He seems imposing, sure, but also gentle and warm. This paradox is hard to capture, and is one of Superman's most endearing features. Quitely, while not your fastest artist, delivers within each issue a visual feast, coupled with magnificent colors from Jamie Grant.
I think Superman benefits, above all, from the fact that the coolness is a tad less important, and also the mere fact that he's an "old" superhero.
It's just like you excuse Kirk's hairdo. It's part of the pulp. But get those same haircuts now, on other actors, to pretend it's the 70s again... ugh.
There's an aura that helps to swallow the pill.

DominicDavies

Dec 9, 2007
Yeah he definitely has a kind of timeless old fashioned feel to his character. It's part of his immortality.