Whats an alternate place to get news that isn't batshit crazy?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm talking like... something that's not as corrupt as say mainstream news, but also isn't going to be telling me shit like the Government is planning a takeover via JadeHelm15 or some bullshit or that the flouride in the drinking water is altering my brain chemistry.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
There isn't.

Larger news outlet are private and have target audiences so their story cause seem very one sided. Even those who say they are "fair and balance", aren't.

Local news maybe? They are there to report anything happening in the local area. And don't have much of a hidden agenda. Maybe apart from making the town look great but they show the bad side too.

Blogs? Like small websites? No. They can be easily corrupt to get more views and ad revenue. They will start out looking for truth and justice at first but the more they do it they more they will care. Just a bit.

Fake comedy news? Well you aren't meant to take them seriously but when Jon Stewart was on the Daily Show, he had some hard hitting segments that put other news outlets to shame. John Oliver is continuing with that now with Last Week Tonight. It can still be one sided at times.

It's a hard find. You just have to make sure that the information you are getting from is correct and factual.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well...nowhere. People are weird, man. You just gotta go with it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
British news outlets have little to offer on that front. Most of the papers-- the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Sun, Star, and Mirror-- are irredeemably shite: screaming madmen held to no legal standard whatsoever. They're beholden to no regulatory body, and have taken full advantage of that fact.

A few of them are somewhat better than the crop above, namely The Times, The Independent, and The Guardian, but they're still deeply flawed. The Independent seems to have recently morphed into a purveyor of poorly-written trivial clickbait online, in an effort to keep up ad revenue, and it holds an editorial line utterly at odds with both its readership and writers. The Guardian is a little better, but steps into some cringe-inducing pretentiousness, and gives space in its "Comment is Free" section to some absurd nonsense (though the section is hit and miss; some genuinely good stuff there, too). The Times is operated by the bigoted ogre Rupert Murdoch, and uses itself as a platform to deliver his corporate interests in some mindnumbingly transparent ways. It is bought and paid for by the Conservative Party, to whom Murdoch is one of the most major donors.

That leaves nothing on the newspaper front. The BBC is almost certainly the best news source we have, though that's a low bar to hit. Its news output is generally rather good.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Parasondox said:
There isn't.

Larger news outlet are private and have target audiences so their story cause seem very one sided. Even those who say they are "fair and balance", aren't.

Local news maybe? They are there to report anything happening in the local area. And don't have much of a hidden agenda. Maybe apart from making the town look great but they show the bad side too.

Blogs? Like small websites? No. They can be easily corrupt to get more views and ad revenue. They will start out looking for truth and justice at first but the more they do it they more they will care. Just a bit.

Fake comedy news? Well you aren't meant to take them seriously but when Jon Stewart was on the Daily Show, he had some hard hitting segments that put other news outlets to shame. John Oliver is continuing with that now with Last Week Tonight. It can still be one sided at times.

It's a hard find. You just have to make sure that the information you are getting from is correct and factual.
I love John Oliver, but I find his show rather soap boxy. Even though I generally agree with him. I don't know if he's still doing that podcast The Bugle. I should look it up.

Silvanus said:
British news outlets have little to offer on that front. Most of the papers-- the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Sun, Star, and Mirror-- are irredeemably shite: screaming madmen held to no legal standard whatsoever. They're beholden to no regulatory body, and have taken full advantage of that fact.

A few of them are somewhat better than the crop above, namely The Times, The Independent, and The Guardian, but they're still deeply flawed. The Independent seems to have recently morphed into a purveyor of poorly-written trivial clickbait online, in an effort to keep up ad revenue, and it holds an editorial line utterly at odds with both its readership and writers. The Guardian is a little better, but steps into some cringe-inducing pretentiousness, and gives space in its "Comment is Free" section to some absurd nonsense (though the section is hit and miss; some genuinely good stuff there, too). The Times is operated by the bigoted ogre Rupert Murdoch, and uses itself as a platform to deliver his corporate interests in some mindnumbingly transparent ways. It is bought and paid for by the Conservative Party, to whom Murdoch is one of the most major donors.

That leaves nothing on the newspaper front. The BBC is almost certainly the best news source we have, though that's a low bar to hit. Its news output is generally rather good.
I followed the BBC for a while, but stopped because I didn't feel it was radically different then what I'd get from CNN. And I like CNN.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Why would you want that? The crazy news is best news.

Seriously though, I find the only way I'm able to see a better picture is by going to multiple outlets and reading even the ones that I know are biased. As long as you read 2 countering articles you should hopefully get a good idea of what is really going on.

Jul 31, 2013
Silvanus said:

I used to follow the BBC but there was so much negative bias (bordering on propaganda) during the Scottish Referendum debate two years ago that I lost all faith in it as a moderate and reliable news network and now rarely take anything it says too seriously.

Now I find that the best thing to do is look at several news sites, for a more broad view on what is happening, and have found that Russia Today is actually pretty good for news (it does have a bit of a pro-Russian, anti-Western bias but some of the things it reports on are particularly interesting).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Steven George Jeffrey said:
Now I find that the best thing to do is look at several news sites, for a more broad view on what is happening, and have found that Russia Today is actually pretty good for news (it does have a bit of a pro-Russian, anti-Western bias but some of the things it reports on are particularly interesting).
Russia Today is worse than any of the ones I mentioned. It acts without any form of check or balance, and acts solely and exclusively as the mouthpiece of United Russia. It represents only the interests of the party, and never does it intend to merely report on events.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Cross reference anything and everything. Watch what Fox News has to say, switch to MSNBC. Very quickly, you can separate opinion and fact. As popular and successful as they are, they are SO PAINFULLY OBVIOUS as what they are pushing. (One morning on Fox News an anchor actually read off the talking points the CEO sent them.) You have to be wary what small news says, because they aren't as regulated. You also have to watch out for big news, because they sweat money and can bypass most regulations.

As for more "trustable news", whenever the BBC is talking about something that doesn't affect Great Britain or their interests, they are sort of neutral. NPR is decent but left leaning. Look at what you watch, find the leaning side, use that to separate truth from the opinion.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I find BBC World News Tonight to be surprisingly refreshing from all the other news networks here in the U.S.A. I don't know how the rest of the world views it, but I think it's good stuff.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
If nothing else is on, I turn to either NHK or France24 for white noise. Mostly to remind me that I there are one or two places on the planet that aren't 'Murica, and they occasionally have interesting cultural pieces.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Your best bet is to find a few that seem pretty reliable and cross reference the stories you find to be important.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I use ABC News [http://abc.net.au] - the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, that is. Pretty reliable and straightforward. Government owned national broadcaster but with an actual budget, and a mandate to "Inform, Educate, and Entertain."

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
The way to work with this is to know their bias.

What I would do is kinda keep up with a few of them from different political slants that aren't completely horrible and kinda look at what they talk about. Obviously I wouldn't go to Fox News and CNN can be a little crazy. Mainly though I would seek to know their slant because there isn't going to be a news station on earth without one.

With the possible exception of Clickotron but you'd be an idiot to get news from there.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
I think I remember reading that American newspapers are actually pretty good, it was in the context that British newspapers are more like American TV news, and British TV news is more like American newspapers (Silvanus has given a pretty good run-down on British newspapers previously).

As such, perhaps the best idea would be to read local & national papers, watch/listen to reputable foreign/international news like the BBC, and then see what take things like Russia Today and Al Jazeera have.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Rawstory.com is where I read my news. Cant tell you if they have any political bias but there arent articles about the gov't taking over your brains with toothpaste or anything.

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Al'Jazeera America was a great source for unbiased news here in the states until it got pulled for low ratings. It only goes to show that people watch the news more for personality and opinions that align with their own instead of clear and unbiased news coverage.