What's Going Down At PAX 09

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
What's Going Down At PAX 09

The first major details about this year's celebration of all things nerd have been revealed, including info about panels, exhibitors, performers, and of course, registering to attend.

I've yet to go to the Penny Arcade Expo, and I don't know if I ever will. I mean, I'm as big of a nerd as the next dude practicing Street Fighter combos while sitting on the bus listening to the FFVII soundtrack, but I'm not sure if I've got enough geek cred to hang with the crowd up there. This year's show might finally be the one, though, as, judging from the details just released about the expo, it sounds like it'll be an affair no respectable nerd should miss.

The festival will take place on September 4-6 at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center in rainy Seattle, Washington. On display there will be "some of this year's hottest titles" from more than 60 exhibitors, including big names like Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve, Blizzard and Ubisoft. I'm guessing if you're not into the Starcraft 2 beta by then, this'll be your chance to play a build before it comes out.

"Every show, we try to offer gamers new content, old favorites and the best overall experience possible," said Penny Arcade's Robert Khoo. "If you really think about it, we're easily the biggest show west of the Mississippi within the continental United States that focuses on games that isn't E3 or affiliated in some way with NBC. If you've never been to PAX, 2009 is your year to come."

As always, the show will feature a variety of game-related musical acts to enjoy, including chiptunes-inflected rock outfit Anamanaguchi, synth-pop and music game regulars Freezepop, "Still Alive" songsmith Jonathan Coulton, nerdcore legend MC Frontalot, power duo Paul & Storm, and Metroid Metal [http://www.metroidmetal.com/], a musical project that takes the Metroid soundtrack and reimagines it in that most unholy and grim of musical genres, metal.

Pre-registration has begun and the organizers warn that most pre-sale badges will be gone before the scheduled closing date of August 15, so if you want to completely sure that you'll be able to get a chance to get into the show, head over to www.paxsite.com [http://www.paxsite.com].

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Okay, to spoil one of the reveals, Omni Consumer Products is revealing Portal stuff, more than likely a tie-in cake, two years after everybody got sick of that.
NO! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT! THE CAKE IS A LIE!

...Had to be said.

Zankabo

Sep 14, 2008
Always a fun thing to go to, specially if you get involved with community projects like the pub crawls and dinners and parties.

Plus the companies always seem to have nice contests going.. last year I won a 1TB external drive from Ubisoft.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Okay, to spoil one of the reveals, Omni Consumer Products is revealing Portal stuff, more than likely a tie-in cake, two years after everybody got sick of that.

...Had to be said.
Can we get a courtesy ban over here?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Keane Ng said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

...Had to be said.
Can we get a courtesy ban over here?
Ohnoz! Censorship!

The Ban is a Lie! Viva la Revolution! We will rise up against the burgoise meme opressors!

Annnd back on topic... Sounds awesome. too bad it's on the otherside of the country.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
For those of you on the fence, PAX is a great event and if you go you won't regret it.

I really want UBi to show off a little of GRAW3, and Gearbo (if they're there) to allow people to play, or at least see Borderlands.

I also hope Sony is giving out as much swag as last year.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Man, I'd really like to go to PAX some time. But I live in Europe, so I miss out on all the cool stuff. PAX, Weird Al concerts, the Klingon Language Institute qep'a'.. it's all always in the US of A. Meh.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Onmi said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

...Had to be said.
>.< God DAMN it Wombat!
Wombat, I swear if you weren't so cuddly I'd smack you...

Edit: For some reason it posted before I was finished darnit!

So to address the opening topic, uh, good for the guys who can make it. I'm not one of them. I'd rather go to a Comi-Con or anime convention myself.