What's Next For iPhone Gaming

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
What's Next For iPhone Gaming

Apple has revealed the next steps in their plans to turn the iPhone into the mobile gaming device of choice, including peer-to-peer wireless multiplayer, lots of DLC and microtransactions, and more.

Apple held a preview event for the next operating system for the iPhone earlier today, and, among a slew of announcements (copy and paste is coming to iPhone, woo), the company revealed a number of new features that will impact the way games are played on the phone.

iPhone OS 3.0 will support in-application microtransactions for all of its applications. For your Sports News application, to use Apple's example, this means you can upgrade your subscription straight from the app. For games, as you probably guessed by now, this means DLC. During the conference, Apple showed games that sold levels for $2.00, shirt packs for virtual dogs for 99 cents, and even an FPS in which you have to buy a rocket launcher for 99 cents.

That sounds bad, yeah, but OS 3.0 should bring plenty of good things to iPhone gaming as well. There's the new Push notification service that will make it easy to get invites and alerts from your game applications even when you're not playing. Also, games will be able to support peer-to-peer multiplayer over the iPhone's wireless capabilities, and more games will feature full-fledged online multiplayer.

On the games front, Electronic Arts showed off its Sims game, which looks like The Sims. Publisher ngmoco of WordFu and Rolando fame was also in attendance, and demoed a virtual pet game called Touch Pets and a multiplayer FPS called LiveFire, which features global online play and in which you, yeah this is the one, have to pay to get a rocket launcher.

All in all, whether you love or hate paying micro-increments of cash for things like shirts for your fake dog or a weapon that has been standard in every single FPS ever, iPhone gaming's growing and it's here to stay. It's not all going to be like this - the diversity of applications will continue to grow and there's sure to be plenty more that'll make interesting use of the device's ever-expanding set of features.

[Via Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/live-from-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-event/]]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well it looks like the iPhone is going down the same way that all the games market is heading towards.
Remember the road to hell is paved with microtransactions

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hankage said:
Does anyone actually phone people on these things?
I remenber on Late Night with Conan O'Brien a parody sketch of the Iphone. In which the Iphone was everything going from ketchup bottle to sideburns. And in the end the line "its also a hard phone to use.".

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gY-Km4l_yU

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
...their plans to turn the iPhone into the mobile gaming device of choice...
So, Apple are taking the PS3 stratagy to gaming, i.e. "it does more, but is way too expensive for the average user" (and we all know how well that worked for sony), and they said "Hmmm, let's go up against a platform that already has an install base of 100 million!".

I know twelve-year-olds with more business sense.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Nimbus said:
Keane Ng said:
...their plans to turn the iPhone into the mobile gaming device of choice...
So, Apple are taking the PS3 stratagy to gaming, i.e. "it does more, but is way too expensive for the average user" (and we all know how well that worked for sony), and they said "Hmmm, let's go up against a platform that already has an install base of 100 million!".

I know twelve-year-olds with more business sense.
You're not seeing this quite how its going down (and fuck you). The iPhone currently has an adoption rate on par with the mobile phone 10 years ago, or the iPod 6 years ago. Pretty soon these things will reach the 90% adoption rate in the modern world. How many use it for gaming is going to be a larger issue, but 90% of the population is going to mean a fair few gamers have one in their pocket. If it can replace one more thing in their life, one more thing they have to worry about getting stolen....

You have to admit, its quite brilliant. Combining all of the devices that a modern person needs to use on a day to day basis in one product - they have one more market they can take over. They make an adorable game, the DS and the PsP can kiss their asses goodbye.
Yeah just as soon as everyone in the world gets AT&T. Oh wait.

Speaking of AT&T, their network as it stands right now is complete and utter shit for multiplayer, so forget that idea. I know they said peer-to-peer. I still stand by my judgement.

And a rocket launcher for 99 cents? What game was that for? Battlefield Bad Company: iPhone Edition?